Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Newbie, 3 weeks post-op

User
Posted 03 Jan 2020 at 10:15

Hi everyone,

As the heading says, I had my robotic Radical Prostatectomy just under 3 weeks ago.

I had a PSA test (at my request, due to a family history) in September, a month before my 51st birthday. Result was 5.3 so was referred for an MRI, where they found an 'area for concern'.

Early October I had a biopsy (an 'interesting' experience, but the nurse was brilliant at making it as relaxed as possible, which is not easy when they're poking around in someone's back passage!). Although my prostate was not enlarged, the results showed some cancerous tissue, so I was called in to talk over the options for both surgery and radiotherapy.

The decision was actually very easy, as due to my general good state of health, recent (planned) weight loss, and relatively young age, I was an ideal candidate for robotic surgery, with an excellent prognosis. It seemed just so much simpler and less hassle than undergoing a course of radiotherapy.

The whole process has been very smooth and quick, and my surgery went ahead on Saturday 14th December at The Churchill Hospital in Oxford. The operation went very smoothly, and all the staff were so professional and friendly. I think I was a bit fortunate to have a weekend operation, as it meant the hospital was a bit quieter than during the week. I was released on the Sunday afternoon, after being shown how to put on the lovely compression stockings and how to stab myself with a needle every day (only 9 more injections, YAY!)

The catheter was a new (and not particularly pleasant) experience, but I was fortunate to have it removed after just 7 days, just in time for Christmas. The first week was tiring. Even walking from the hospital to the car was knackering! Sleeping was sporadic, due to tiredness and being unable to sleep in my usual position because of the catheter. I normally have to get up at 3.10am for work, so my body clock was all over the place anyway. I did manage to get out a bit, just a few short walks. Having the catheter out was a big relief (pun full intended!).

Oh, and the first poo (4 days after the op) was the biggest and strangest one that I have ever had!!! My wife, who has been AMAZING through the whole process, had to hold me as it was such a strange feeling.

Since then, I've been trying to stay active, going out with my son (excellent timing with school holidays for 2 weeks) when he took the dog for a walk, and popping to the shops for a paper. We went out to a shopping centre on New Years Day and it surprised me how much it tired me out, which was a useful reminder that things would not be back to normal for a while yet!

Despite showing excellent results when I had the catheter removed, I am experiencing some leakage. I'm fine at night and can hold it ok when I'm sat down, and even stop mid-stream when standing at the toilet, but I get quite a bit of 'stress leakage' every time I move. It feels really odd having to concentrate on holding your bladder when I'm out and about. I definitely need to pay more attention to my pelvic floor exercise regime.

One thing that I'm really grateful for is the support I've had. I'm a regular Twitter user, and I posted about my diagnosis, which got some really lovely replies, and 3 in particular. One from a local friend whose dad had the op 18 months ago and offered to put us in touch. Mark has been brilliant! It's been like having a 1-to-1 mentor. We met before my op and he went through everything that the hospital don;t tell you. How things would feel, coping mechanisms, and all the little tricks he found, like which were the best incontinence pads and making sure to get some black jogging pants ( for comfort and because black doesn't show any leaks) for going out in. He called round a couple of days after my op to see how I was getting on and to see if I had any more questions. He's been very honest and open which has been so helpful. I never thought I would be sat in a pub talking to a stranger about toilet habits and erections, but here we are!

I also heard from another Twitter user who had the op a couple of months ago and he's been checking in every few days too. The 3rd person I heard from was a 43-year-old guy whose dad had gone through prostate cancer a couple of years ago and he had been putting off getting tested, even though he knew he should do. He has now scheduled a test and is in regular contact, which feels great to be able to helps someone else :-)

Anyway, well done if you've got through all that rambling :-D I'm planning on going back to work mid to late February, but I've got plenty of stuff to keep me busy at home in the meantime. Once kiddo goes back to school (and we've FINALLY finished eating all the Christmas rubbish), I should be able to get back into some sort of routine.

Bye for now :-)

Darren.

User
Posted 03 Jan 2020 at 20:51

Hi Darren,

It all seems to have gone well enough.   Being dry at night and leaking in the day is common for the first month or so.  The standard pattern is that the dry spell of the night gets longer till you're dry in the morning, then dry in the afternoon as well.   It might leak longer due to stress events. Exercises do help. 

Walking does bring on leakage and you don't feel it, but it does get better.  The only time there was any risk of anyone seeing leakage with me was on my first long walk when the pad filled and I hadn't realised or taken a spare.  The weight of the pad is the best way of knowing how full it is. 

Interesting that you got some help on Twitter although, except for the personal caller, I'd think there's a lot more help on here.

Most of your events were almost exactly 3 years after mine.  Keep in touch.

All the best
Peter

Edited by member 03 Jan 2020 at 20:52  | Reason: typo

User
Posted 04 Jan 2020 at 16:41

Thanks Peter.

Yes, it's pretty much just stress leakage that I'm getting at the moment. I seem to be able to control it any other time. I agree with you about walking; it's surprising how much leakage you can get from that, although I do always take my 'emergency rucksack' with me, with a couple of pads, change of pants and joggers, a towel, and some baby wipes.

I'm still surprised how much just walking takes out of me. I did drive for the first time yesterday, but that tired me out a bit too, so I'll ease myself back into it. Fortunately, work are great and I'm not planning to go back until mid to late February as my job is a lot of manual handling.

Definitely need to keep up the pelvic floor exercises :-)

User
Posted 04 Jan 2020 at 17:47
Have you checked you are insured to drive? Most insurers will only cover you if you can do an emergency stop safely (difficult after major abdominal surgery) and have the agreement of the surgeon or hospital, and most hospitals say you shouldn’t drive for 4 weeks after abdominal surgery although a couple say 2 weeks. Some insurers require you to inform them of major surgery before getting behind the wheel, regardless of the time.

Driving without insurance is, of course, illegal.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 05 Jan 2020 at 20:28

Hi.

Yes, it's good to remember that. My post-op notes said at least 2 weeks and that I must be able to do an emergency stop. I did call both our insurance companies (DirectLine & RAC) and they both said that they go by the hospital's recommendation and that they had no specific restrictions.

While I feel fine to drive, I'm going to keep it to short, local trips for the first couple of weeks.

User
Posted 05 Jan 2020 at 21:08
It is amazing how much variation there is. John’s insurer would not cover him for 12 weeks and wanted a letter from the surgeon confirming he was fit to drive, which the surgeon refused to provide because as he said, he had never seen John drive. There were two differences though; he had open RP and it was a company car (so fleet insurer).
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard