I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Mets in pelvis and leg

User
Posted 08 Jan 2020 at 15:39

I have been told by my urologist who is an expert in his field that he is almost certain that despite my symptoms of groin, pelvic and nerve pain in the leg that he would rule out prostrate cancer symptoms. My intuition is that he is wrong, but he’s the expert. I’ve asked if I should have a detailed MRI scan of the prostate. He advised against it, saying that at 72 I could well have cancer of the prostate but I would outlive it. It’s left me with a absolutely impossible decision. Insisted on a test or follow his advice. 

User
Posted 08 Jan 2020 at 22:35
He is an expert in his field. If you take a second opinion and then you don't agree with their advice either, how many further opinions would you seek? As I have said on your other thread, the symptoms you are describing are not classic signs of prostate cancer and perhaps you would be better seeking a referral to a physiotherapist or orthopaedic service.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Jan 2020 at 23:07

Rennie

I am 67 and have osteoarthritis in my right hip and get exactly the same symptoms you describe.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 09 Jan 2020 at 08:35

Many thanks for your help and advice which despite my anxiety I’m going to try and follow. Just to recap - the CT scan was of the whole chest abdomen pelvis and the MRI of the whole spine. I was going to try and have a specific MRI of the prostate. My consultant’s view was I would be wasting money that at 72 there my be cancer in the prostate but he was sure that my current symptoms in the leg and back were not mets as I said he is a professor in urological cancer at a London research institute. Should I stop? 

User
Posted 09 Jan 2020 at 08:52

It's your money. If you want to spend it on a private MRI scan to put your mind at rest, perhaps it would be money well spent as far as you're concerned, although it seems clinically unnecessary. That's a decision that only you can make. There are plenty of private hospitals and clinics who'll do MRI scans.

Consider, though, the fact that even if an MRI scan finds prostate cancer (which nearly three quarters of men your age do indeed have), that does not mean that you have mets. Most of us in this forum are well past our sell-by date, and aches and pains are just a part of the ageing process.

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 09 Jan 2020 at 08:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Jan 2020 at 11:32

Many thanks 

User
Posted 09 Jan 2020 at 11:55

Thanks for your observations- you are of course right- I have become more than obsessive about this. I have thought that my anxiety about this is extreme and perhaps there is a psychological element in it. Well not perhaps. Maybe other folk are more ‘rational’ 

User
Posted 09 Jan 2020 at 12:13

I know of the weird anxiety when i was awaiting a biopsy after my scan and by my PSA i knew i had PC i felt pain in my scrotum hips and leg all of which turned out to be physiological but at the time they were very real to me and actually went on until my biopsy and then they mysteriously disappeared   

User
Posted 09 Jan 2020 at 12:35

Hi I’m so glad you responded. I’m in a pretty emotional state. Thanks I appreciate your observations