Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Fistula - advice please

User
Posted 11 Jan 2020 at 17:52

Dear all

Had RP almost 6 months ago. ED still there , about 70% improvement in incontinence.

However developed UTI today. Would not have worried much, but urine smelt like almost poo. Dr google says fistula between rectum and urethra can occur, but doesn't mention time frame. It can smell like poo.

Very worried if I have developed fistula, but can this occur nearly 6 months later? I had the dreaded flu all of this week with non stop coughing, would this have damaged anything. (The coughing also made incontinence worse).

I am looking for advice/reassurance

User
Posted 11 Jan 2020 at 19:42
Is the GP contacting the surgeon or has that been left for you to do? They may try putting in a catheter for a while to give it time to heal, or if it is a big hole, it may need surgery. The starting point is the urologist or your allocated clinical nurse (if you have been assigned one).
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Jan 2020 at 19:49

Scared , just when I thought I was on the other side

Can fistula occur after nearly 6 months?

The initial urine smelt like that and since then have drinking a lot and not smelly anymore.

Am I over thinking here?

User
Posted 11 Jan 2020 at 20:13
Can't answer your query concerning time frame but situation certainly requires urgent investigation.
Barry
User
Posted 11 Jan 2020 at 20:54
If it was just a one-off occurrence, I wouldn’t worry about it. If it happens again, get it checked out.

Chris

User
Posted 11 Jan 2020 at 21:43
ah, I misread it - thought the GP had said it was a fistula when actually what you wrote was Dr Google!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Jan 2020 at 23:05

First time its happened 

anyone else has had similar experience?

User
Posted 11 Jan 2020 at 23:16
I don’t think strange-smelling urine is anything to be concerned about unless it persists. I find it varies for all sorts of reasons: what medications I’m on, what I’ve eaten, how much I’ve drunk, etc.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 11 Jan 2020 at 23:26
Sure Chris but I took it from way it was written that it was exception to what OP had experienced at any time previously.
Barry
User
Posted 12 Jan 2020 at 01:52
If I have Sugar Puffs for breakfast my urine smells of that soon after.

Are you sure you have not eaten any poo? 😉

Hope you get sorted.

Cheers, John

User
Posted 12 Jan 2020 at 06:58

Ha ha

Better this morning, no smell, but uti symptoms on antibiotic

I think I panicked

User
Posted 12 Jan 2020 at 11:25
Good news then. I think there is a tendency to exaggerate the significance of aches, pains and possible symptoms but if severe and unusual and not easily explained getting checked out it sensible. Actually, poos and flatulence that give a very strong smell could also make the urine stronger but without this I have never experienced urine so strong that it seems like poo!
Barry
User
Posted 12 Jan 2020 at 16:36
Thanks everyone..

So useful site, helpful replies.

I wish I had known this site prior to my surgery..