I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

First PSA results after RP

User
Posted 13 Jan 2020 at 20:49

My Husband had his RP Op in October and has had his first PSA result which is 0.1. He’s due to speak to his Consultant on Friday and I was wondering if there was anything he should be asking regarding this result? 

User
Posted 14 Jan 2020 at 01:06
Looks like good result.

Hubby could ask his Consultant about any side effects he is experiencing but may well be asked about this anyway.

Barry
User
Posted 14 Jan 2020 at 06:15
Hi Girly,

Is it <0.1 (undetectable) or 0.1? It should be the former.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 14 Jan 2020 at 14:00

Hi Girly,

I saw your profile and you said last PSA test was 0.01, which is diffenent from what you say here (0.1). Hope the first is the correct one.

All the best,

Paulo

User
Posted 14 Jan 2020 at 15:51
That’s exactly what you want. Regarding it rising again the surgeon should have shared the histology ie once they dissected the prostate in the lab they would know if the cancer was contained or not. These results will give an indication of any percentage chance of a recurrence

But so far so good

Bri

User
Posted 15 Jan 2020 at 05:02
They like to test PSA every three months for the first year or two.

I have unilaterally extend mine now to four months, having had seven undetectable results since my op 19 months ago, and will probably go to six-monthly testing towards the end of this year if the results stay the same.

Two friends had surgery around the same time as me by top London surgeons, and both had recurrence soon after and had to have a course of radiotherapy. I feel very lucky.

Cheers, John.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Jan 2020 at 01:06
Looks like good result.

Hubby could ask his Consultant about any side effects he is experiencing but may well be asked about this anyway.

Barry
User
Posted 14 Jan 2020 at 06:15
Hi Girly,

Is it <0.1 (undetectable) or 0.1? It should be the former.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 14 Jan 2020 at 14:00

Hi Girly,

I saw your profile and you said last PSA test was 0.01, which is diffenent from what you say here (0.1). Hope the first is the correct one.

All the best,

Paulo

User
Posted 14 Jan 2020 at 15:47

Hi everyone 

sorry I was wrong with my original post - his PSA IS NOW 0.01  not 0.1 (I was never very good with maths!) so can I ask if this is what is expected and do we assume that eventually it will rise again and he’ll need further treatment? 

User
Posted 14 Jan 2020 at 15:50

Hi Bollinge and other Responders 

it’s now 0.01 ( I got my decimals mixed up ) and was panicking after reading other people’s readings which were a lot lower. How often should he be checking his psa once he’s been signed off by the consultant? 

Edited by member 14 Jan 2020 at 15:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Jan 2020 at 15:51
That’s exactly what you want. Regarding it rising again the surgeon should have shared the histology ie once they dissected the prostate in the lab they would know if the cancer was contained or not. These results will give an indication of any percentage chance of a recurrence

But so far so good

Bri

User
Posted 15 Jan 2020 at 05:02
They like to test PSA every three months for the first year or two.

I have unilaterally extend mine now to four months, having had seven undetectable results since my op 19 months ago, and will probably go to six-monthly testing towards the end of this year if the results stay the same.

Two friends had surgery around the same time as me by top London surgeons, and both had recurrence soon after and had to have a course of radiotherapy. I feel very lucky.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 15 Jan 2020 at 19:11

Hi there. My husband had his RP on October 17.  His first PSA came back .01 also.  His next one is in 3 months.  They told us it would be every 3 months at least for the next year.  We are in the US.  

Nice to see another female on here in support and seeking wisdom.

They told us we would never get less than a .01.  Basically the .01 is noted as undetectable.  

We were also told they found no cancer in his lymph nodes.  All cancer was in lower half of the prostate, nerves supposedly spared, all cancer was in the prostate itself.

User
Posted 15 Jan 2020 at 19:26

Hi Adora S.

thank you for replying - it’s great to so helpful  other people’s experiences.  After my husbands op on 24th Oct the histology showed that there was cancer in the other half of the prostate which the biopsy had not picked up. This was what I’d always been worried about and reassured us that having it removed was the right decision for my husband ( the consultant agreed that if it had just been a ‘watch and wait’ situation then it would have been a lot more serious)

Having had Xmas and general day to day life to contend with I’d pushed everything to the back of my mind. Believing that once the cancer had been removed then that was it! Of of course I’m now  back to reality and worrying about the chances of a biochemical reoccurrence! I’ll definitely get my husband to check this out with the consultant on Friday. 

User
Posted 16 Jan 2020 at 22:28

I am assuming then your husband's cancer was contained in the prostate?  They concurred that to be the case for my husband.  I too worry about the re-occurance as he is genetically predisposed to this cancer and the youngest in his family diagnosed.

I was also wrong about my husband's PSA results.  His was .10 not .01 but again, they told us that means undetectable.  

We are now in the midst of penile therapy.  Thankful for this forum as I have learned so much from here to help us in this process.  

Good luck to you guys with your next appointment!