I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostate Cancer – emotions

User
Posted 17 Jan 2020 at 08:49

My father was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer in July 2017 at the age of 63.

Had his prostate removed via robotic surgery.

Since had one thing after another, sepsis, hip operation (cancer related), catheters, clots, chest infection, scar tissues growing over the ureter tube, the list goes on.

The cancer is in a small area of the base of the spine and hip. The hip area is very bad, effecting his walking (very unsteady on his feet) uses a Zimmer frame and wheelchair.

Fit, healthy worked all his life now struck with this awful life, which is currently bed to chair existence due to the pain that is not under control.

Has a pubic catheter (which blocks every couple of days, and the bag has filled with blood on numerous occasions, which apparently is standard and my mum has to unblock it!)

He has just started radium 223 treatment. On suretech and longtec.

With lack of support for him, his pain, and just dealing with what’s ahead.

He has lost his appetite, so tired and sleeps most of the day and night and goes through stages of being extremely emotional.

Its awful as a family to see, we want him for as long as possible but he goes through stages of ‘giving up’.

Any suggestions – to help him with his pain and/or emotions which is really hard for the family but more importantly him.

User
Posted 17 Jan 2020 at 12:01
If Dad is not already on pain relief this is something that should be organised.
Barry
User
Posted 17 Jan 2020 at 16:34
Ask the GP for a referral to the pain clinic (if there is one), local hospice or palliative care service. Hospice staff and pain clinics are much more expert at getting the meds balance right between controlling the pain and being completely zonked out all the time than oncologists or GPs could ever be.

Also, clarify whether the urology nurse / hospice thinks that dad would be entitled to a care package (palliative physio, occupational therapy, day services, etc) or any benefits to help pay for some of the things that will help keep him mobile and comfortable. I would also be pushing them on whether there is anything that can be done to improve the catheter issue.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard