I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Problem Prostate

User
Posted 19 Jan 2020 at 17:24

Hi, this is my first post and would appreciate any comments from those who’ve already traveled the path I’m now on hopefully this would help me not worry so much of what lies ahead. I’m 63years old with many health problems including heart failure due to major HA in 2015. Now because of the need to urinate more often especially at night and reading symptoms for prostate cancer I decided to make appointment with GP who arranged a blood test and urine test. My psa result was initially 4.6 now (8wks later) 4.9. I was urgently referred to urologist who did DRE but only reported enlarged prostate 50g and sent me for CT scan, ultrasound  and cystoscopy due to there been some microscopic blood found in my urine sample. Upon my second appointment with urologist (8wks later) he again gave me a DRE but this time found there to be tenderness and a little firmness of prostate he has therefore placed me on anti-biotics for (6wks) and a pill to relax my bladder called Tamsulosin. The dull ache I was experiencing in the lower rectum and the sting/burning sensation when passing urine seems to of eased greatly so hopefully things have started to improve. The urologist said he wants me to have a MRI scan followed by another appointment with him in 6wks. That was 4 was ago but as of yet no word from hospital. (Busy NHS) The wait is the worst part both for family and myself. I also find myself reading lots of prostate stuff on internet and getting quite anxious over what lies ahead, seems like I’ll probably need a prostate biopsy after MRI which if it’s anything like cystoscopy I’m certainly not looking forward to. Thanks for reading 

User
Posted 19 Jan 2020 at 20:12

Graham,

This sort of investigation is always a worry, and you do just have to wait out the phases of it. You do have a plausible non-cancer reason for the symptoms (an infection), but even so, it makes sense to have the MRI scan, after any infection has cleared up. I would not assume you will have a biopsy, and even if you do, I would not assume it means cancer before you get the result.

Here's wishing for the all clear...

User
Posted 20 Jan 2020 at 05:38
I think you are over thinking🤔.

The MRI scan is the way to go, so you are being looked after well. I shudder at the thought of a cystoscopy, but the biopsy was no problem at all.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2020 at 08:38
The anticipation of a biopsy is far worse than the actual event. It's really nothing to get worried about.

Best wishes,

Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Jan 2020 at 20:12

Graham,

This sort of investigation is always a worry, and you do just have to wait out the phases of it. You do have a plausible non-cancer reason for the symptoms (an infection), but even so, it makes sense to have the MRI scan, after any infection has cleared up. I would not assume you will have a biopsy, and even if you do, I would not assume it means cancer before you get the result.

Here's wishing for the all clear...

User
Posted 20 Jan 2020 at 05:38
I think you are over thinking🤔.

The MRI scan is the way to go, so you are being looked after well. I shudder at the thought of a cystoscopy, but the biopsy was no problem at all.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2020 at 08:38
The anticipation of a biopsy is far worse than the actual event. It's really nothing to get worried about.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 20 Jan 2020 at 15:01
Thanks one and all for your positive comments. I rang urology department this morning and lady told me she would contact urologist dealing with my case Re my future appointment but that she could find no record of an appointment been made. Typical! good job I rang. I’ll be happy when I know what’s going on, it’s the not knowing that scares me, I’m a glass half empty kind of guy so I always expect the worse! 😔
User
Posted 20 Jan 2020 at 19:49

Had cycopsy when i had blood in urine after a kidney pain (turned out to be a kidney stone trapped in upper urethra (kidney stone removal surgery) I then had lack of pressure in urine flow in the morning, another blood test and it came back and i had a PSA of 32 so it was off to the urologist and then the MRI followed by the biopsy.None of this was hurried  (if you want to be mightily bored as to time spans and treatment read my blogs on this site) The biopsy i had was totally painless the worst part off it was that i was laid on the table with my buttocks exposed and when i looked around it was as if they had wheeled me onto the main concourse of paddington station i had never seen so many people walking through, or into the theatre. There is a slight discomfort and i mean slight, and five to ten minutes later i was back  in the day ward getting changed to go home.  PC is slow growing so don't worry to much as your PSA is still very low

Edited by member 20 Jan 2020 at 19:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Jan 2020 at 16:35

Hi Graham,

I am a wee bit ahead of you in that I have had the MRI ( Priads score of 3) and then I had my template biopsy on Friday past, the results are back in 3 weeks. The biopsy wasn’t at all bad and I think it I was lucky that I got the template biopsy