I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Why can't PC suffers not have some form of Life Cover?

User
Posted 22 Jan 2020 at 22:54

Good Evening My name is Anthony

I put this out there to anybody just finding out that they have PC, or are undergoing treatment or have been lucky enough like myself to beat PC my PSA result was <0.01 and has been like this since my operation and my results last night are still <0.01 i must admit i was was some what scared to have the results my wife said you will be ok but once i was given the results and the words of cure rang round my head i was please has anybody would be that has had the cancer having treatment or had the operation to hear those words.

But my question is when we are young we don't think that we will get ill and have life changing things happen to us i was one of them type of guys, then the words "Prostate Cancer" drops into your life and you think that your world has come to an end. Some put there heads in the sand and some go toe to toe like i did and fight the dreaded PC. So why do insurance companies think we are un-touchable when we try to get some form of cover i know its abit late getting cover after the horse has bolted, but we are still the same person who has families that we care for so why can't we leave something for them when our day comes to have  cover in place too look after our families when we no longer walk on this earth, so the question is yes we have cancer or beat cancer why is it so hard to protect our families and not have to pay the earth for that peace of mind was it not bad enough when we found out we had cancer. what our your views is this a question we should be putting to our so called PM's to take to the government so that we also get fair treatment they are doing fair treatment for well anybody and anybody what us.

what's your view on this.

🧐 

User
Posted 23 Jan 2020 at 03:38
Daytime TV is flooded with ads for life insurance and ‘funeral plans’ for the elderly, ‘with no medical questions’.

Basically, if you survive for a year, then you are covered. Whether any of those would be appropriate for you, with relatively small sums assured, I don’t know.

As you know, prostate cancer is about the least worst one to get, with fifteen-year survival rates in the high nineties percentage-wise. Whilst insurance companies are indeed businesses, their actuaries are not daft, so if they can make some money offering you cover, they will.

See what contributions are offered on this post, and if you have no joy, contact Prostate Cancer UK to see if they have any recommendations.

I hope you find what you’re looking for.

Cheers, John

User
Posted 23 Jan 2020 at 12:04

Thanks Andrew 

not looking drag things out thanks for your words I will keep shopping around has I said not looking for cover has a man who does not suffer with PC just want some form cover for my family. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Jan 2020 at 00:35
Insurance companies are businesses, not charities - their aim is to minimise the risk of having to pay out as much as possible. In medicine, there is no cure for cancer - only remission - so once someone has had cancer they are a liability because there is a statistically high risk of it coming back and killing them.

We didn't realise until we started thinking about a mortgage a couple of years after John's op; couldn't get a joint mortgage because we couldn't get life cover for John :-/ The learning, I suppose, is to teach your children to take out cover early in their lives while they are fit & healthy rather than to assume they will be able to get it when they are older.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Jan 2020 at 03:38
Daytime TV is flooded with ads for life insurance and ‘funeral plans’ for the elderly, ‘with no medical questions’.

Basically, if you survive for a year, then you are covered. Whether any of those would be appropriate for you, with relatively small sums assured, I don’t know.

As you know, prostate cancer is about the least worst one to get, with fifteen-year survival rates in the high nineties percentage-wise. Whilst insurance companies are indeed businesses, their actuaries are not daft, so if they can make some money offering you cover, they will.

See what contributions are offered on this post, and if you have no joy, contact Prostate Cancer UK to see if they have any recommendations.

I hope you find what you’re looking for.

Cheers, John

User
Posted 23 Jan 2020 at 09:56

Thanks you Soren for your comments I am fully aware that insurance companies are not a charity. My point is has per my username <0.01

thats my PSA right now has my cancer was contained and did not spread and my Prostate was removed taking all my cancer at the same time and my result have remained <0.01 that says cure and that is the words of my consultant just to let you know I hope your other half is in a good place and thanks John for your txt I will look at that too. 

User
Posted 23 Jan 2020 at 10:21
I really don't think that this is a matter for legislation. There's no "right" to have life insurance. Life insurance company actuaries look at the statistical risk of insuring people who have been previously diagnosed with cancer, and their data tells that that it's not a sound commercial proposition to offer insurance to such people; the chance of recurrence and death is too great, Lyn is absolutely right: consultants use words like "cure" to make people feel good, but cancer can't be cured; it's simply in remission (which may last for the rest of your life, of course).

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 23 Jan 2020 at 10:26

I sought life cover a month after I was diagnosed - one of those over 50's policies (Post Office). No questions asked at the time of application or since. From memory 50% payout after 6 months of holding the policy then full payout after 12 months. All done online.

Flexi

User
Posted 23 Jan 2020 at 11:01

I hear you I’m not looking for change but I think that we are still human we never choice to cancer it choice us there should be some form of insurance does not have to give a massive pay out but something for your family and mine would be good surely. 
And I would like to say my consultant is in the top 3 in the uk writes papers on this subject so I do feel he knows what he his discussing with me and not just saying things to make me happy me thinks. 

User
Posted 23 Jan 2020 at 11:15
Not wishing to be depressing, Anthony, this forum is full of examples of people whose cancer has recurred after being in remission; very often for many years. The attitude I take from that is that life is precious, and while one is free from cancer, enjoy it to the full, because you never know how long it's going to last.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 23 Jan 2020 at 11:30

Thanks Flexi great help that’s why I posted this group for people to pass on their thoughts and any tips that can help and not to say counter thoughts but everybody are allowed there say I guess. 
if you don’t mind what policy did you get from the post office please. 

User
Posted 23 Jan 2020 at 11:32
I suggest you shop around for cover. Ask your consultant if he will put in writing that Prostate Cancer won't ever need treating again in your case - I bet he won't. Are you scheduled for check ups, which you should be even though these may be quite far apart? This happens because there is a risk, albeit a small in your case, notwithstanding your presently low PSA.
Barry
User
Posted 23 Jan 2020 at 11:38

Thanks Barry

that is a great help never thought of that that’s why I put this together I will ask my consultant for a letter that’s a great help. 

User
Posted 23 Jan 2020 at 11:47
Please do let us know what he says!

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 23 Jan 2020 at 12:04

Thanks Andrew 

not looking drag things out thanks for your words I will keep shopping around has I said not looking for cover has a man who does not suffer with PC just want some form cover for my family. 

User
Posted 26 Mar 2022 at 22:32

Any updates on this please? My broker seemed to think that cover might be possible.