I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Incontinence after prostate surgery

User
Posted 29 Jan 2020 at 20:55

53 and a little less then 3 months removed from prostatectomy surgery. Wearing one pad a dad but pretty full when I change it. I wear one at night and only a few drops. Is this the best it will be?

also, have little blood in my urine after walking 2 miles on treadmill 

User
Posted 30 Jan 2020 at 20:06

Hi 

My husband is 4 months on you will see improvement for 6 months to a year. Walking should help. 

User
Posted 30 Jan 2020 at 20:48

Thanks for the input. Seems like a long process

User
Posted 30 Jan 2020 at 20:54

It will get better. I am 9 months on from RP and pretty much dry. However coughing or big physical strains ( Axing etc- not for everyone I realise) brings on a leak. Best of luck - I know how difficult it was mentally.

User
Posted 30 Jan 2020 at 21:43

Hi,

Here is a fairly standard text about progress with continence:

At first you're dry in bed and deteriorate through the day.  Over time the deterioration slows so you might be dry in the morning but wet in the afternoon and then dry all day, or at least relatively dry.  Most say 3 - 6 months for dry, but not everyone.

In the early days walking can cause it to leak with each step so you need a spare if you go out.   It also strengthens the sphincter so improves it longer term.   Keep walking.

It suddenly gets better.   I bought a lot of pads then suddenly it got a lot better and I threw them away in the end.

Doing Kegel exercises strengthens your muscles and improves it.

You pretend to be holding your bladder back for 10 seconds a few times a day.

Here is a video on the subject.  Please note I haven't actually looked at this video, it was the first one that came up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSqK4_3YSMI

Edited by member 30 Jan 2020 at 21:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Feb 2020 at 11:28

Squeezy for Men NHS App is helpful

For Kegels

User
Posted 01 Feb 2020 at 22:22

Hi,

How long did it take for you?

I'm bang on 4 months from RP, dry at night but still leaking in the day.

Does it suddenly stop?

Still doing pelvic floor daily.

User
Posted 02 Feb 2020 at 06:36
Yes, well it did for me, as soon as I registered with the local incontinence nurse and a load of pads turned up!

User
Posted 02 Feb 2020 at 16:46

Coming upto 6 months for me

Dry at night

Nearly dry, with occasional spots only till about 5

Exercise, badminton, alcohol : Leak a lot, but this also is improving (wear a pull up for these occasions)

Noticed an appreciable difference only after 4 months or so

Mind you, I had some obstruction before RP, hence I am told recovery might be longer.