I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Cake

User
Posted 02 Feb 2020 at 15:32

I am going to bake a HRT cake as i have been told it can help relieve my hot flushes.

At the moment I'm taking Sage tablets with little success .

Has anyone tried the cake ?

Thanks 

Richard

User
Posted 02 Feb 2020 at 22:46

Hi Richard,

I haven't heard HRT cake so looked it up and found the following ingredients.

• 100g soya flour
  • 300g porridge oats
  • 250g dried apricots
  • Handful of dried cranberries
  • 50g pumpkin seeds
  • 50g sunflower seeds
  • 100g golden flaxseed (linseeds)
  • 50g brazil nuts chopped 
  • 50g walnuts chopped 
  • 500ml soya milk 
  • Pinch of cinnamon to taste 
  • 1 tsp fresh grated ginger  
  • A few fennel seeds 
  • Approx 1 small glass of organic apple juice (enough to give moist consistency 

To me this sounds like a good muesli mix and I love muesli.    We use ground flaxseed which releases nourishment better than the seeds, although it also sends you to the loo. 

I can't help as regards hormone symptoms but think this sounds healthy even eaten uncooked, except for the flour. 

My only reservation might be it's very high on fruit, seeds and nuts so much more oats and no flour would need to be added to create a muesli.

Also I note it's no fat in it.   My wife said it's not really a cake but soya is has plant oestrogen so perhaps the flour and milk are meant to have some effect for women, if not men I don't know.

Edited by member 02 Feb 2020 at 22:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Feb 2020 at 11:08
Thanks for your replies,it was a lady that told me it worked for her,what puts me off trying is where will i get all of those ingredients (theres a lot).

If i can get them i will have a bash.

At the moment besides the Sage tablets i use a fan that i can fit around my neck,the Oncology nurse uses one as she is going through the change.

User
Posted 03 Feb 2020 at 11:27
With regard to the sage tablets - I picked up the latest Prostate Cancer UK diet and physical activity sheet at my last appointment. There is a section in that which says that there is very little evidence that herbal remedies can help.

I’ve been on HT for nearly three and a half years now so the hot flushes have reduced dramatically. At their worse I found that a Chillo pillow helped during the night. I don’t think you can get the particular one I had as they couldn’t compete with the inevitable cheaper competition that came along. One of those cheaper versions might be worth a try though. Obviously only any good at night or when you are laying down.

Dave

User
Posted 03 Feb 2020 at 11:40

Cheers Davy,

I will buy one of those as i usually get 4 or 5 a night.

User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 22:37

I'm interested in the hot flushes: reading the above posts I wonder if they have arrived yet.

I've been on decapeptyl for nearly three months now and my PSA went down from 321 to 0.7. I do feel a bit warm sometimes, such as after exertion or entering a warm room from cold exterior, and sometimes in bed I need to throw off the duvet for a bit.

I seem to remember similar responses before I began treatment, so is there worse to come?

Edited by member 29 Mar 2021 at 22:38  | Reason: Mistyping

User
Posted 30 Mar 2021 at 00:44

The cake contains lots of soya.

Soya contains a form of plant estrogen.

Estrogen will reduce or prevent hot flushes.

In the US, some patients on hormone therapy are given Estradiol patches to relieve hot flushes (or hot flashes as they call them). That's not done here, although some men on the PATCH trial use Estradiol patch *as* their hormone therapy (which is not the same thing, but also prevents hot flushes).