Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Humus Man's surgery 27/1/2020

User
Posted 03 Feb 2020 at 17:29

Hi All,
I had a Radical Prosectomy on 27 January at UCLH - one week ago.
It took me a while to get used to the catheter, and the sensation of continually needing to pee.
The logistics of managing catheters was much simpler than I thought. The 2 litre night bags 
are not quite big enough, so I am toying with the idea of having two in series.
Every day I can do more. Today I walked to the GP (to have a blood test), and then to a cafe (2 miles 
in all).  I also fixed my coffee machine (which had short-circuited earlier this week).
I had some mild pain in my stomach and shoulders, but this has now gone.
But I am suffering from aching balls now...

All in all I feel much better than I expect to at this stage. And every day is improving.
Looking forward to TWOC is on the 11th Feb.

Edited by member 17 Feb 2020 at 20:04  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Feb 2020 at 19:20

Amnon, I'd er against connecting up the 2 ltr night bags in series. That could cause quite a strain. 

User
Posted 03 Feb 2020 at 20:32

Amnon

I am a long time catheter user, the night bags I use cannot be connected together. You can get 3 litre night bags. 

Hope your recovery goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 03 Feb 2020 at 21:30

Great news all went well. Respect you can fill those up. Think I got to nearly top of the 2ltr as being lazy getting us and figured my half litre leg is reserve if needed but ended up just emptying.

Catheter isn’t too bad once you get used to the peculiarities and minimising irritation. Roll on the 11th and hope that goes well too.

TG

User
Posted 03 Feb 2020 at 21:46

If you are 100% hydrated, water you drink on an empty stomach does come through quite quickly, e.g. 15-30 mins. Those of us who've had RT rely on that for filling our bladders.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2020 at 10:01

Onwards and upwards. I bet you are pleased to have full autonomy again :-)

TG

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Feb 2020 at 19:20

Amnon, I'd er against connecting up the 2 ltr night bags in series. That could cause quite a strain. 

User
Posted 03 Feb 2020 at 20:32

Amnon

I am a long time catheter user, the night bags I use cannot be connected together. You can get 3 litre night bags. 

Hope your recovery goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 03 Feb 2020 at 21:30

Great news all went well. Respect you can fill those up. Think I got to nearly top of the 2ltr as being lazy getting us and figured my half litre leg is reserve if needed but ended up just emptying.

Catheter isn’t too bad once you get used to the peculiarities and minimising irritation. Roll on the 11th and hope that goes well too.

TG

User
Posted 03 Feb 2020 at 21:37
When I first got the catheter, I was expecting every glass of water I swallowed to instantly appear in the catheter. It took me a while to realise that I needed to be more patient.
User
Posted 03 Feb 2020 at 21:46

If you are 100% hydrated, water you drink on an empty stomach does come through quite quickly, e.g. 15-30 mins. Those of us who've had RT rely on that for filling our bladders.

User
Posted 07 Feb 2020 at 18:01

Catheter removed today!

Yeeeeehaaaaaaaa!!!!

Edited by member 08 Feb 2020 at 10:49  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Feb 2020 at 10:01

Onwards and upwards. I bet you are pleased to have full autonomy again :-)

TG

User
Posted 09 Feb 2020 at 12:28
Yes, I never realised peeing could be so much fun...
User
Posted 13 Feb 2020 at 12:21
Histopathology is back.

Clear margins.

But Gleason "upgraded" to 4+5,

Staging pT2c (i.e. both sides).

This does mean a relatively higher risk of recurrence, so I will have to be watching those quarterly PSA readings very closely going forwards.

On the + side, 2 weeks post op, I feel as good as normal, and am now pad free.