Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Sizing For Vacuum Pump

User
Posted 04 Feb 2020 at 20:15

Hi,

Just back from my GP where we discussed penile atrophy.  Despite being in HT for over three years I am still able to achieve an erection albeit not the same as before treatment strarted.  A degree of atrophy is now apparent so I went along to ask if a vacuum pump might be the answer to encourage better blood flow.  He agreed with me 100% that a pump would do what I was looking for.  He could prescribe one for me but not before referral to urology.  This is because I would need a fitting so he could prescribe the correct one!  How on earth does that work?   However experienced a urologist is I’m fairly certain that they can’t look at a flaccid penis and know what size it’ll be when erect!!

I’d really welcome advice from those who know.

Thanks

Dave

User
Posted 05 Feb 2020 at 10:16
At first I just had the standard Somaerect Response 2 which worked perfectly and still does. However at one point my penis developed quite an upturn bend ( which was actually quite pleasant apparently) , and I bought a second smaller tube that fitted inside the same pump. This ensured full erection still but wouldn’t allow the bend. All fixed itself over a few months !! So a fitting is useful. They will get you erect and then decide.
User
Posted 05 Feb 2020 at 11:11

Been through this...

He needs to refer you to an ED clinic, or better still if he can refer directly to a pump clinic (but I suspect he might not have a way to do that, although could ask in the ED clinic referral). Going via a Urology referral will just slow things down by 3 or more months by the time they see you, and then refer you to the ED or pump clinic will be another 3 months.

At the pump clinic, a rep who works for the manufacturer will go through the pump, and offer to demonstrate it on you. Stats show that those who take up this offer are twice as likely to use it at home successfully as those who don't, so I would strongly recommend this, and it wasn't at all embarrassing. He will show you how to use it for penile rehabilitation, and also how to use it to have sex with constriction rings. He will fill in a form for you to take to your GP which says which parts to prescribe - which will be a pump, and an extra three of the most useful size constriction rings (the pump only comes with one of those).

When I looked and saw I'd been prescribed the size large pump, I was of course chuffed to bits, like any man would be. When I got home and looked in more detail, I saw it comes in two sizes, large, and extra large... Oh well, the elation was short lived... (I have seen suggestions the extra large can't be prescribed - you'd have to buy that yourself, but I don't know if that's just some areas, or everywhere.)

There is a problem in some areas of a blanket ban on pumps being prescribed, but it sounds like your GP has already indicated that doesn't apply to your area. Unfortunately, getting a pump clinic appointment and form to take back to your GP is no guarantee your GP will be able to prescribe it. I think they're around £200 if you buy it yourself (don't forget to buy it VAT free as a medical aid).

One other thing, when you go to the chemist to collect it, take a large opaque bag with you. It comes in a box which is not in the least bit discrete if you had to carry it home. (Someone here warned of this beforehand.)

The other thing to ask your GP for is 5mg daily tadalafil. That also helps prevent damage to the penis even when flaccid by improving blood flow, but will probably help with improving natural erections too. The pump only erects the visible half of the penis, not the part inside your body, so if you can get erections naturally, particularly if tadalafil helps, do make sure you do that as often as possible too, as that helps maintain the half of your penis inside your body. The pump will help with blood flow in the whole penis, but not with stretching the corpus cavernosum (erectile part) inside the body. The suggestion for me was use the pump when libido is too low to get a natural erection, but get a natural erection in preference if you can. In your case, you might want to use the pump anyway, as it might be able to reverse some recent atrophy, but it can't reverse long term atrophy.

Edited by member 05 Feb 2020 at 11:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Feb 2020 at 21:03

After my op I decided to let it sort itself out but after 2.5 years decided it was improving too slowly.  Following advice on here I bought one from LoveHoney for £30.  It seems good quality and well made.

Surprisingly it had an almost immediate effect in improving things.  It was as if it needed a stretch to get it right.  It still doesn't work automatically or when I'm completely lying down but when I'm standing up it's almost back to normal.  Although I think due to age perhaps it's temperamental as is my libido.

Some people have been more persevering than me as I only used it a few times and now it's in a cupboard.  It's not a lot of fun to use really with the washing and messing about.

Have a go for £30.   I used YouTube for instructions.   Just don't overdo it, you could seriously injure yourself if you pump too hard or too fast.

User
Posted 06 Feb 2020 at 21:50
"At the pump clinic, a rep who works for the manufacturer will go through the pump, and offer to demonstrate it on you."

This is true of some areas but not all. In our area, the ED nurse teaches how to use it and then writes to the GP requesting a prescription is written. No manufacturer involvement at all. In areas where there is no ED nurse or andrology clinic, it comes down to persuading a GP who may have been instructed by the CCG not to prescribe.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Feb 2020 at 12:45
As some of you know, I have given up on all that malarkey, post-op.

It still amuses me that when an American firm decided to offer condoms in different sizes, (after all, what item of clothing doesn’t come in sizes - apart from socks?), the sizes were large, extra-large and ‘trim’.

If I were to be fitted for a penis pump, it would have to be ‘extra-trim’! At least my tailor doesn’t need to ask me which side I dress😉

And it has not affected me psychologically Matron, honest!😂😂😂😂

I hope you get kitted out soon with a successful result.

Cheers, John

User
Posted 12 Feb 2020 at 22:17
I had my appointment with ED nurse and manufacturers rep this afternoon. Both were so helpful and mines of information that it was well worth the 100 mile round trip. So I left feeling fully informed and with a form for my GP to prescribe me the SomaCorrect Xtra pump and accessories. All within 10 days of referral!
User
Posted 19 Feb 2020 at 13:08

Such a shame this platform doesn’t permit visual images, otherwise you could post a picture of your magnificent, pneumatically and chemically assisted arousal, to the applause of all of us here.

Instead, we’ll just have to visualise it...some from memories long past! 😉

I hope it all works out successfully!

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 19 Feb 2020 at 13:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 May 2020 at 20:22

iMedicare will do the demo over a videocall during COVID-19, if you're still interested (or if the remaining ball is still interested;-). I think the details are on their website, but PM me if you can't find them.

I presume you are referring to their Surefit rings. The pump comes with one, but you should get a pack with 3 more if you got it on prescription, and in theory, the 3 ring set should be on a repeat prescription, although you aren't meant to cut them off after each use.

User
Posted 20 May 2020 at 23:25

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

You had to be there and I was.

Thanks Chris

Fortunately for you, I wasn't   😂😭🍆✂️

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 May 2020 at 09:25
Hi Chris,

I hadn’t realised you had used a Select ring - they have some serious tension, no wonder you couldn’t get it off. I got the full range of sizes and types with my pump and have experimented with a few but have always been too wary to try Select or Ultra. I definitely won’t now!

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Feb 2020 at 08:21
I just went for extra large, it only just fits 😂😂😂
User
Posted 05 Feb 2020 at 08:31
Just leaving this here 😇

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2014/03/nasa-condom

User
Posted 05 Feb 2020 at 09:24
😆😆😆 I suppose I asked for that! The bit at the bottom of the NASA story made me laugh out loud.

It was a serious question though. I’m genuinely surprised that I need to see a urologist first when my doc agrees I’m a suitable candidate for the pump!

User
Posted 05 Feb 2020 at 10:16
At first I just had the standard Somaerect Response 2 which worked perfectly and still does. However at one point my penis developed quite an upturn bend ( which was actually quite pleasant apparently) , and I bought a second smaller tube that fitted inside the same pump. This ensured full erection still but wouldn’t allow the bend. All fixed itself over a few months !! So a fitting is useful. They will get you erect and then decide.
User
Posted 05 Feb 2020 at 11:11

Been through this...

He needs to refer you to an ED clinic, or better still if he can refer directly to a pump clinic (but I suspect he might not have a way to do that, although could ask in the ED clinic referral). Going via a Urology referral will just slow things down by 3 or more months by the time they see you, and then refer you to the ED or pump clinic will be another 3 months.

At the pump clinic, a rep who works for the manufacturer will go through the pump, and offer to demonstrate it on you. Stats show that those who take up this offer are twice as likely to use it at home successfully as those who don't, so I would strongly recommend this, and it wasn't at all embarrassing. He will show you how to use it for penile rehabilitation, and also how to use it to have sex with constriction rings. He will fill in a form for you to take to your GP which says which parts to prescribe - which will be a pump, and an extra three of the most useful size constriction rings (the pump only comes with one of those).

When I looked and saw I'd been prescribed the size large pump, I was of course chuffed to bits, like any man would be. When I got home and looked in more detail, I saw it comes in two sizes, large, and extra large... Oh well, the elation was short lived... (I have seen suggestions the extra large can't be prescribed - you'd have to buy that yourself, but I don't know if that's just some areas, or everywhere.)

There is a problem in some areas of a blanket ban on pumps being prescribed, but it sounds like your GP has already indicated that doesn't apply to your area. Unfortunately, getting a pump clinic appointment and form to take back to your GP is no guarantee your GP will be able to prescribe it. I think they're around £200 if you buy it yourself (don't forget to buy it VAT free as a medical aid).

One other thing, when you go to the chemist to collect it, take a large opaque bag with you. It comes in a box which is not in the least bit discrete if you had to carry it home. (Someone here warned of this beforehand.)

The other thing to ask your GP for is 5mg daily tadalafil. That also helps prevent damage to the penis even when flaccid by improving blood flow, but will probably help with improving natural erections too. The pump only erects the visible half of the penis, not the part inside your body, so if you can get erections naturally, particularly if tadalafil helps, do make sure you do that as often as possible too, as that helps maintain the half of your penis inside your body. The pump will help with blood flow in the whole penis, but not with stretching the corpus cavernosum (erectile part) inside the body. The suggestion for me was use the pump when libido is too low to get a natural erection, but get a natural erection in preference if you can. In your case, you might want to use the pump anyway, as it might be able to reverse some recent atrophy, but it can't reverse long term atrophy.

Edited by member 05 Feb 2020 at 11:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Feb 2020 at 21:03

After my op I decided to let it sort itself out but after 2.5 years decided it was improving too slowly.  Following advice on here I bought one from LoveHoney for £30.  It seems good quality and well made.

Surprisingly it had an almost immediate effect in improving things.  It was as if it needed a stretch to get it right.  It still doesn't work automatically or when I'm completely lying down but when I'm standing up it's almost back to normal.  Although I think due to age perhaps it's temperamental as is my libido.

Some people have been more persevering than me as I only used it a few times and now it's in a cupboard.  It's not a lot of fun to use really with the washing and messing about.

Have a go for £30.   I used YouTube for instructions.   Just don't overdo it, you could seriously injure yourself if you pump too hard or too fast.

User
Posted 06 Feb 2020 at 21:50
"At the pump clinic, a rep who works for the manufacturer will go through the pump, and offer to demonstrate it on you."

This is true of some areas but not all. In our area, the ED nurse teaches how to use it and then writes to the GP requesting a prescription is written. No manufacturer involvement at all. In areas where there is no ED nurse or andrology clinic, it comes down to persuading a GP who may have been instructed by the CCG not to prescribe.

User
Posted 07 Feb 2020 at 12:45
As some of you know, I have given up on all that malarkey, post-op.

It still amuses me that when an American firm decided to offer condoms in different sizes, (after all, what item of clothing doesn’t come in sizes - apart from socks?), the sizes were large, extra-large and ‘trim’.

If I were to be fitted for a penis pump, it would have to be ‘extra-trim’! At least my tailor doesn’t need to ask me which side I dress😉

And it has not affected me psychologically Matron, honest!😂😂😂😂

I hope you get kitted out soon with a successful result.

Cheers, John

User
Posted 07 Feb 2020 at 14:23
Quick update:

I got an appointment through this morning - for next week. That will be just 10 days after I visited my GP!

User
Posted 08 Feb 2020 at 11:08
I attended a post-op seminar this week run by the hospital where I had my surgery (RALP - just over two months ago). I had both sets of nerves removed in surgery and I'm told that because of that my chances of regaining a natural erection are very small. One of the speakers at the seminar was a rep from a pump manufacturer, who was very professional in his approach, despite the usal jokes from the audience (about a dozen patients and four of their wives). I have an appointment for a "fitting" in a couple of weeks' time with the rep, and he should be able to give me the detailed prescription information for my GP.
User
Posted 12 Feb 2020 at 22:17
I had my appointment with ED nurse and manufacturers rep this afternoon. Both were so helpful and mines of information that it was well worth the 100 mile round trip. So I left feeling fully informed and with a form for my GP to prescribe me the SomaCorrect Xtra pump and accessories. All within 10 days of referral!
User
Posted 19 Feb 2020 at 11:48
I can’t believe how quickly this whole process has gone. From my GP visit and referral to my first tentative pumps last night was just two weeks!!
User
Posted 19 Feb 2020 at 13:08

Such a shame this platform doesn’t permit visual images, otherwise you could post a picture of your magnificent, pneumatically and chemically assisted arousal, to the applause of all of us here.

Instead, we’ll just have to visualise it...some from memories long past! 😉

I hope it all works out successfully!

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 19 Feb 2020 at 13:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Feb 2020 at 13:59
If you really want to visualise it best go for something slightly better than magnificent! 😆
User
Posted 19 Feb 2020 at 14:32
Adequate in the end, hopefully!

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 14:51
Quick update in the interest of humour and information (and maybe a bit of boasting on my part 😀).

I have been using the pump successfully for a couple of months now. It’s not been the same with the transferring of the rings though. Got them off the cylinder ok but the constriction, discomfort and loss of feeling was becoming quite a concern. I was unable to leave it on for even 10 minutes let alone the maximum half hour recommended! After a recent consultation and advice from iMEDicare it turns out I need their largest ring! ☺️☺️

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 14:59
Bragging again 🙄

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 15:01

If you are using their Surefit rings, the 3 spare ring set comes with one of each size, but if you cat get it written on the order form that the pharmacy sends off to iMedicare (or if you order it yourself), you can request all 3 are one particular size.

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 15:10
I have some old bike inner-tubes you can have for free big fella :-))
User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 20:31

Hi Andy,

I got a call from the local doc yesterday . They have processed a prescription for the new size.  There was one larger ring in the set that came with the pump so I already knew that one was much more comfortable.   Honestly though I thought I was doing something wrong with the originally recommended size.  Have you seen the Ultra High Tension rings?  I don’t think I’d be brave enough to put one of those anywhere near me.  I wonder why you would need to use one?

Dave

Edited by member 14 May 2020 at 20:41  | Reason: Spelling

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 20:37

First time I transferred the ring I managed to get one of my testicles inside the ring. 🤪

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 20:42
Oh my - disaster!
User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 21:08

oooh, I just crossed my legs and my eyes watered.

When they demo it on you, if they think there's any risk of this, you are told to grip your scrotum and pull it down and back to prevent it being sucked in when you pump the device. This isn't mentioned in the video, only when they demo it on you.

Some of the rings are not easy to get off in a hurry when you've got the KY on them and you can't grip them.

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 22:02

Andy

We are men , we don't need to look at instructions do we ? Never got a demo. 

I was stood there in agony telling the wife to get the scissors, she said I might cut your penis off , I said if you don't cut the ring off my penis and testicle will drop off. Major down side it was the best ring that got cut off. 

It had my urology nurses in stitches.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 20 May 2020 at 20:22

iMedicare will do the demo over a videocall during COVID-19, if you're still interested (or if the remaining ball is still interested;-). I think the details are on their website, but PM me if you can't find them.

I presume you are referring to their Surefit rings. The pump comes with one, but you should get a pack with 3 more if you got it on prescription, and in theory, the 3 ring set should be on a repeat prescription, although you aren't meant to cut them off after each use.

User
Posted 20 May 2020 at 20:42
A little tip for those who haven't worked it out - if the ring seems to be stuck and you can't get it off, rather than panic and take the scissors to it (or letting your partner do so), try just pulling outwards on the flaps ... this releases the tourniquet and allows the blood to drain out of the penis. Once the penis has shrunk a bit, the ring slides off easily. If the ring doesn't slide off easily, you are not using enough lube.

John would never let me near his testicles with a pair of scissors in my hand.

User
Posted 20 May 2020 at 20:57
I can’t for the life of me see how you can get a testicle in a position to accidentally get it trapped when transferring a ring. I get immediate discomfort if as much as a tiny bit of scrotum skin gets pulled into the cylinder

Lyn’s method, although perfectly correct for removal from the penis, might be a bit difficult with a testicle involved. Under those circumstances you should still be able to get a couple of fingers actually inside the ring and it will stretch a lot wider than would be needed to get out of the “death grip”.

User
Posted 20 May 2020 at 22:38

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 20 May 2020 at 23:10
And of course my comment was made from the calm oasis of an armchair and not in the panic situation you found yourself.

Dave

User
Posted 20 May 2020 at 23:25

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks Chris

Fortunately for you, I wasn't   😂😭🍆✂️

User
Posted 21 May 2020 at 08:21

Andy

Thanks for your kind offer ,I did get a video with the pump, so second time round I watched the demo. The guys at work were intrigued and the dvd did a tour of the office. The ring in question was a "select" ring which is made out of a far less flexible material than the " surefit" rings. Pulling the tabs on the select did very little to release the ring and as the ring was full of penis and testicle the erection wasn't going down and there was no way of getting a couple of fingers in there as well.

I think the reason I got the testicle in the tube was that I didn't use the smaller comfort ring .

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 21 May 2020 at 09:25
Hi Chris,

I hadn’t realised you had used a Select ring - they have some serious tension, no wonder you couldn’t get it off. I got the full range of sizes and types with my pump and have experimented with a few but have always been too wary to try Select or Ultra. I definitely won’t now!

Dave