I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostatectomy finally got my date

User
Posted 06 Feb 2020 at 18:02

I get to have surgery to remove my prostate on 4/3/20 and I can't wait. 

When first diagnosed with PC my head was all over the place and I was mentally in a dark place, now I have gone full circle and feeling really positive and want to have the operation and look forward to the rest of my life. 

Was wondering as I am a self employed taxi driver how long would it be before I can start work again, not that I'll be rushing anything. 

Wishing everybody good luck with their journeys. 

Chris aged 54

User
Posted 06 Feb 2020 at 21:55
Ask your surgeon first, and have a look at the hospital RP info leaflet (if you are given one) and then give your insurer a ring to let them know you are having abdominal surgery.

If you are having da Vinci/ keyhole RP, most hospitals seem to advise 2 -4 weeks as long as you are able to do an emergency stop successfully. However, open RP takes longer (6-8 weeks) and my husband had to wait 12 weeks because his business / company car insurer would not cover him any earlier than that.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 07 Feb 2020 at 10:13
Don’t forget Chris, that in addition to driving, you’ll be expected to hump cases and luggage and wheelchairs in and out of the cab, which will be a no-no for many weeks after your op.

See your GP and get signed off before your op, and claim Employment Support Allowance if you qualify, as it takes weeks to process. You might get about £125 a week as long as you are unable to work.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 07 Feb 2020 at 13:42

My job involves sitting in front of a computer and travelling to the occasional "meeting".

Apart from the obvious post-robotic-op tenderness, I got a chit from my GP for quite a while on the basis of my much longer term urinary incontinence. The necessity to visit "the men's room" on an extremely regular basis should not be forgotten! It was via this forum rather than my GP that I discovered the useful "Conveen sheath" device:

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t13034-Leo-Robot-spares-some-nerves

Edited by member 07 Feb 2020 at 13:42  | Reason: Added link

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
User
Posted 10 Feb 2020 at 17:10

Hi, john

Thanks for your reply, I've been told I can get £74 pw esa, I don't know how to go about it but I'm sure I'll find out.

I have no mortgage but still have bills but it is what it is. 

I was going to give myself 8-12 week off from work hopefully all will be under control by then, there is no I could work with incontinence issues.

Chris

User
Posted 10 Feb 2020 at 18:36
The standard advice is 6 weeks off work. But your mileage may vary.

I am 56, had RARP at UCLH exactly two weeks ago.
Once the catheter was out (on day 11), I basically felt as good as new, with almost 100% continence.
I still have to be a bit careful, as I get blood in my piss if I run around too much.

Contenence does depend to a large extent on how close to the sphincter muscle they need to cut.
But Kegel exercises help a lot. The earlier you start and the more you do, the better.

Best of luck!
User
Posted 10 Feb 2020 at 21:23

It's a good point about lifting cases.   The cuts right through the abdomen can be painful if strained for a couple of months.

It's better not to strain anything and that includes the stitching on the bladder.  When I was wandering round the ward with a loose catheter carrying the urine bag a doctor asked a nurse to strap the tube to my leg as it could strain those stitches. 

User
Posted 19 Feb 2020 at 07:30

Operation brought forward to today 19/2/20 really can't wait, today is my 55 birthday, here's looking forward to my 75th lol

User
Posted 19 Feb 2020 at 20:28

Hope the op went well.

Ido4

User
Posted 21 Feb 2020 at 17:40

Hi Chris hope your op went ok and your not feeling to shabby. I’m seeing my surgeon next Friday then having the da Vinci op as soon as. 

take care

Carl.