I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Catheter has left the building

User
Posted 08 Feb 2020 at 19:49

Had robotic prostectomy done on 22nd this month, all well and healing nicely. 

Catheter was removed yesterday and had no continence issues, not even a spot or drop, happy days. 😊

User
Posted 08 Feb 2020 at 22:57

Colin

Great news, good for people to know incontinence is not compulsory after surgery. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 09 Feb 2020 at 07:29
The small pleasures of life...
User
Posted 08 Feb 2020 at 19:49

Had robotic prostectomy done on 22nd this month, all well and healing nicely. 

Catheter was removed yesterday and had no continence issues, not even a spot or drop, happy days. 😊

User
Posted 08 Feb 2020 at 23:24
I also had mine removed yesterday. Continence is pretty good.
Very happy to be able to pee again!
User
Posted 09 Feb 2020 at 11:51
Great news, another big step forwards, don't forget the PFE's.
ATB. Steve.
User
Posted 10 Nov 2020 at 18:23
David
I for one couldn't wait to get my catheter out. I found it so uncomfortable. The procedure itself was much easier and less painful than I imagined. The feeling of relief afterwards !
Very best
Gary
User
Posted 11 Nov 2020 at 17:42
Thanks guys. All fine. The leak has completely healed, and they took the catheter out - not a pleasant sensation but over in a second. I drank, peed and went home. I had to stop the taxi after 20 minutes to find a friendly cafe to use their toilet, but it felt almost normal. A bit of leakage, but nothing really. What a relief.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Feb 2020 at 22:57

Colin

Great news, good for people to know incontinence is not compulsory after surgery. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 08 Feb 2020 at 23:24
I also had mine removed yesterday. Continence is pretty good.
Very happy to be able to pee again!
User
Posted 09 Feb 2020 at 01:31

Was very happy too to just go for a pee normally. 

User
Posted 09 Feb 2020 at 07:29
The small pleasures of life...
User
Posted 09 Feb 2020 at 11:51
Great news, another big step forwards, don't forget the PFE's.
ATB. Steve.
User
Posted 09 Feb 2020 at 21:54

Been doing them all the way through, although it wasn't till a week after had cathter in I read somewhere not to do them with catheter in.  Told urology nurse about this who told it wouldn't do any harm. 

User
Posted 20 Feb 2020 at 21:50

Hi Colin, I had my prostatectomy yesterday, I was discharged with a catheter, did you find the urge to pee even though the catheter was running well, I know it's only 24 hrs but my scrotum is swollen as so is my penis

I showered just but couldn't pull my foreskin back to clean the tip, did you have any of these symptoms 

Cheers 

Chris

Good luck with your psa

User
Posted 20 Feb 2020 at 21:58
Swelling is normal - the main benefit of wearing pants rather than boxer shorts is to support the extra weight. It should go down in the next 2 - 3 weeks.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 20 Feb 2020 at 23:02

Chris

If you do manage to pull you foreskin back make sure it goes back over the head. Use some ice in a surgical glove or similar set up to reduce the swelling of the end of the penis. Leaving the head of the penis exposed can make the foreskin come up like a balloon. First time it happened to me the urology nurse recommend using frozen peas to reduce the swelling. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 21 Feb 2020 at 00:13

Hi Chris, 

Yes I did find that a little problem, was a bit red and itchy as well even cleaning it 3~4 times a day, I found a little spot of vaseline helped a bit with the foreskin movement. Few days later the tip and foreskin got  red and itched a  a bit so tried a spot of sudocrem helped to ease that.

Couple of days after I had the catheter removed, it got real itchy, red and sore. That turned out to be thrush and was given some canestan for that.

Also I may add but found as well had painful spasms especially at bed time or lying down  after a few days as the bladder was trying to reject the catheter and went to my gp who prescribed tablets for that as well.

Wish you well and hopes this helps.

P. S. 

I had no troubles with contipation as I kept up with fluids and fibre intake, I did find however that the meds for the spasms gave me a bit of constipation. Be sure your keep up with your diet if you need the anti spasm meds. 

Edited by member 21 Feb 2020 at 00:33  | Reason: Extra info

User
Posted 07 Nov 2020 at 18:00

I had some aftersun gel with local anaesthetic lidocaine in it. I put a little gel on the end of my Johnson which numbed it nicely. I don’t know if the medical folks would recommend this but it worked really well so I thought I’d share it. Now, on 2nd day without the catheter. There’s a little bit of leakage, but I’m coming along nicely.

User
Posted 07 Nov 2020 at 18:10

The itch and soreness I had turned out to be thrush, doc prescribed double strength canestan..... 

User
Posted 10 Nov 2020 at 13:54
Hi Guys. Enjoying this thread, as I am due to have my catheter removed tomorrow. It has been my enemy for a month since RARP, as there was a small leak so they had to leave it in longer. Fingers crossed it can be removed tomorrow. I have been quite nervous about removal, but your comments have made me feel much more confident. Thanks.
User
Posted 10 Nov 2020 at 15:06

David 

Make sure you are well hydrated before the procedure, it will help pass the obligatory urine requirements. Hospitals do vary on their protocols. The hospital may give you a few pads if you don't have any. I would advise a cover for the car seat just in case of leakage. Leakage when standing is frequently mentioned. Make sure the Catheter comes out smooth and easy, worth saying it to the nurse with a smile on your face. 

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 10 Nov 2020 at 18:23
David
I for one couldn't wait to get my catheter out. I found it so uncomfortable. The procedure itself was much easier and less painful than I imagined. The feeling of relief afterwards !
Very best
Gary
User
Posted 11 Nov 2020 at 06:14

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I have been quite nervous about removal, but your comments have made me feel much more confiden.

I was nervous about the removal too. When the nurse arrived I said I wanted to withdraw it myself. I wanted to be in control if there was any resistance going through the new joint. She agreed and removed the liquid. I slowly drew it out, felt nothing and no resistance, it just slipped out very easily. So nothing to worry about at all. I've done it the same way twice now.

Good luck

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 11 Nov 2020 at 17:42
Thanks guys. All fine. The leak has completely healed, and they took the catheter out - not a pleasant sensation but over in a second. I drank, peed and went home. I had to stop the taxi after 20 minutes to find a friendly cafe to use their toilet, but it felt almost normal. A bit of leakage, but nothing really. What a relief.