I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

is it possible for this to happen to younger men ?

User
Posted 11 Feb 2020 at 09:03

Hi all 

I'm 38 and late last year was sent for a ultra sound scan due to on going complaint of a pain in my lower left side 

the scan showed what is described as a mildly enlarged prostate so off the back of that i was given a PSA blood test which showed a result of 0.75 and I was then referred to a urologist.

But its been a long wait , that appointment was made over a month ago and i've been wrecking my head ever since.

Its probably just something benign or some thing like that and by the end of next week I'm going to feel like a fool for being so worried

But my mind keeps going back to the initial appointment i had with a doctor when i was simply complaining of a pain in my lower left side.

Even from my poor 2  minute description of the discomfort i was feeling she was able to ask me if I was comfortable with having a DRE ( which happened ) an ultrasound scan ( which happened ) a PSA blood test           ( which happened )   and a biopsy ( the only thing left to happen )

Sorry for the rambling post , its really just a cut down version of whats been going through my mind for the past 5 weeks  

User
Posted 11 Feb 2020 at 09:47
Yes it is possible to have prostate cancer in your 30s - there are recorded cases of boys and young men in their teens and 20s - but:-

- it is extremely rare

- your PSA is well within healthy range

- pain in your side is not a known symptom of prostate cancer

- pain in your side is more indicative of a deep seated kidney infection or prostatitis

It is right that they go through the diagnostic tests to rule out anything sinister but statistically, you are most likely to just need some antibiotics. I suspect they will offer you an MRI scan before deciding whether you need a biopsy.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Feb 2020 at 10:11
Definitely request an mp-MRI scan of your pelvic region before any biopsy, which carry inherent potential risks in themselves.

As Matron says, you are young to have what we call PCa, and your PSA is low, so it is very unlikely but not impossible.

Best of luck and try not to worry too much.

Cheers, John.