Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Worried about Dad, Biopsy needed

User
Posted 15 Feb 2020 at 11:46

Hello everyone 

My Dad has been having some tests since October regarding an enlarged prostate. A his levels seemed normal, no other symptoms, clear x Ray's etc..

He then had a scan and recently received a letter saying there was an suspicious area in the anterior prostate which may be a sign of underlying cancer.

He now has to have a biopsy under general anaesthetic in 3 weeks time.

This has come to a shock, considering the doctors previously have said its probably due to age as he was displaying no other symptoms other than it being enlarged.

But why would they say it might be cancer ? Could it be possible this suspicious area is just benign?

I'm extremely worried especially as my mum already has metastatic breast cancer since 2016.

Dont know how I'd cope if both parents had it..

Appreciate any replies 

User
Posted 15 Feb 2020 at 18:51
I really wouldn’t worry too much, Rob. Prostate cancer is something that virtually all men get if they live long enough. How old is your Dad? Localised prostate cancer is eminently treatable, and in many cases requires no treatment at all. Most men who have it never know about it.

Yes, it’s certainly possible that it’s benign. It’s impossible to tell without looking at cells from the prostate under a microscope; hence the biopsy.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 15 Feb 2020 at 20:40
There are two kinds of biopsy Trans-rectal (TRUS) and Trans-Perenial.

TRUS has a high risk of infection, whereas Trans-Perenial is much safer.

User
Posted 15 Feb 2020 at 20:48

If the biopsy is under GA it’s a template biopsy, not a TRUS. I wouldn’t agree that a TRUS biopsy has a “high risk” of infection. It’s higher than with a template biopsy, yes, but it’s still low.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by member 15 Feb 2020 at 20:49  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Feb 2020 at 23:46

Hi,

I am  57 year old, I recently had 24/1/20 a template biopsy done under local anaesthetic, it took about 10/15 mins and only side effects were some blood in my urine. Prior to that I had an  MRI scan which showed some areas of concern thus the need for the biopsy. I have since been diagnosed with PC 3&4 on the Gleason staging so I have to have some treatment but I have been told that the cancer is contained within my prostate.

User
Posted 16 Feb 2020 at 06:09

A template biopsy can be done under a local when then only need a small number of cores, e.g. when an mpMRI has identified a small area. The new LATP (Local Anesthetic Transperineal) biopsies which are being rolled out remove the need for a template biopsy in this case.

A full mapping template biopsy is 60 or more cores and takes around 90 mins, and wouldn't be done under a local. I had a partial mapping template biopsy at 34 cores, and that's more than they'll do under a local, although you can have it with an epidural if a GA is contraindicated.

User
Posted 17 Feb 2020 at 18:17

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I really wouldn’t worry too much, Rob. Prostate cancer is something that virtually all men get if they live long enough. How old is your Dad? Localised prostate cancer is eminently treatable, and in many cases requires no treatment at all. Most men who have it never know about it.

Yes, it’s certainly possible that it’s benign. It’s impossible to tell without looking at cells from the prostate under a microscope; hence the biopsy.

Best wishes,

Chris

Thankyou for the reply Chris 

Hes 72 I believe, I'm concerned they would want him having a GA at that age tbh even though hes pretty healthy!

I didn't realise most men could have it in their life at some point..

I just pray if it is cancer it can be treated and not effect his health and life expectancy 

Just pretty worried 

User
Posted 17 Feb 2020 at 21:09
It goes roughly in line with age, Rob, so about 70% of men have prostate cancer at age 70, about 80% at age 80, and so on. Localised prostate cancer is EXTREMELY unlikely to kill you. The 10 year survival rate is 98%; the 15 year survival rate is 95%, so a diagnosis is far, far from being a death sentence. Do try not to worry. Wait until all the diagnostic tests are done, which unfortunately does take a while.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 17 Feb 2020 at 23:40
73! he's still a spring chicken!! I had my last template biopsy under GA when I was 82!!! In my case and I am sure it is pretty routine for everyone, you have a full pre op assessment which you you need to pass before 'they' will do the biopsy under GA.
Barry