I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

WHAT IS THE CURRENT NICE RULING REGARDING PRESCRIBING ABIRATERONE AFTER ENZA. IS THIS THE SAME IN SC

User
Posted 17 Feb 2020 at 23:51

what is the current position of the NICE regarding prescribing Abirat after Enza . Isit the same in Scotland and Wales?

User
Posted 18 Feb 2020 at 00:23
In England and Wales, if the patient stops Abi within 3 moths due to side effects or drug intolerance, they can swap to the other (or vice versa). But if the abi (or enzo) has failed, there is little point in having enzo (or abi) as once one fails the other will also fail.

Technically, in Scotland a man can have abi after enza or enza after abi but the final decision is left to local health boards, many of whom will not fund it.

The cost is about £100 per day for these drugs so it is not good use of NHS money to spend so much on something that is known to fail quickly. Having said that, we have had a couple of members here who did get enza after abi (as part of a trial) and it may have prolonged their life by a few months.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Feb 2020 at 08:04
Thank you.

I have read about several cases jn the states where people have managed to get upto two years,

Both are also available in France in whichever order.

In arm J of stampede people start with both of them , and some have dropped one after a short time and managed to be on the other for a long time. The resuts should be out soon.