Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bowel urgency problem

User
Posted 19 Feb 2020 at 13:45

Hi everyone,

I,am wondering if there is anyone out there that is suffering from bowel urgency , literally 20secs to get to the loo once you get an indication to go.

I,am 14 weeks post external beam radiotherapy and cannot plan much at all for the day. Some days are good and I can just go the twice other days can be half a dozen times but on each occasion when I have to go I have to go.

Any help gratefully received.

Ian

User
Posted 20 Feb 2020 at 01:35

I’m almost 18 months post radiotherapy - I still have the odd accident.  Someone wrote on here - never pass a toilet, never trust a fart - very wise words, but it does get much better with the passage of time 

ulsterman

User
Posted 20 Feb 2020 at 08:21
Yes, four years after RT and I still get caught out now and again. Usually when I am on a longish walk and a mile from a loo. Embarrassing to say the least and not sure there is an easy answer.
User
Posted 19 Feb 2020 at 20:26

Like you I can be ok then suddenly I have to run.

I have had the occasional accident too due to urgency.

I am 34 months from salvage RT.

Ido4

User
Posted 20 Feb 2020 at 00:20
Sounds like radiation proctitis, there isn't really much that can be done unless you are getting a lot of mucus or blood in which case the doctor could prescribe colofoam or a similar steroid.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Feb 2020 at 08:02

Hi Ian, 

I suffered this way as soon as I'd finished my course of radiotherapy. 

Fortunately for me,  it was worse only for a relatively short time. Occasionally, I have been caught out since but certainly not as bad as it was immediately after treatment when I only had a minute to find a loo.  Usually now it's a case that I should have found a loo earlier and not assumed that I can hold it like I used to.

You might find the Macmillan guides about coping with the side effects of pelvic radiotherapy very useful.  They helped me.

Anyway, hope things improve for you in the coming weeks.

Steve 

User
Posted 25 Feb 2020 at 11:17

Hi Steve,

I have just read some of your past posts, dear me they almost mirror my problems, the variety of problems on this forum is staggering isn,t it but at least we are getting the chance to work through them.

I,am now taking Fybogel 1/day it seems to have moved the emptying of bowels to the mornings with afternoons and evenings being largely free from toilet visits at the moment ,still get the odd blood in stools, fingers crossed things start to improve. 

Ian

Edited by member 25 Feb 2020 at 11:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 May 2021 at 15:57
Excellent news. I'm just over 2 years post-RT now. Took a good year for things to settle down, but all fine now except a very rare episode of passing mucus.

User
Posted 07 May 2021 at 18:10

Great news. Long may that be the case.

Ido4

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Feb 2020 at 20:26

Like you I can be ok then suddenly I have to run.

I have had the occasional accident too due to urgency.

I am 34 months from salvage RT.

Ido4

User
Posted 20 Feb 2020 at 00:20
Sounds like radiation proctitis, there isn't really much that can be done unless you are getting a lot of mucus or blood in which case the doctor could prescribe colofoam or a similar steroid.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Feb 2020 at 01:35

I’m almost 18 months post radiotherapy - I still have the odd accident.  Someone wrote on here - never pass a toilet, never trust a fart - very wise words, but it does get much better with the passage of time 

ulsterman

User
Posted 20 Feb 2020 at 08:02

Hi Ian, 

I suffered this way as soon as I'd finished my course of radiotherapy. 

Fortunately for me,  it was worse only for a relatively short time. Occasionally, I have been caught out since but certainly not as bad as it was immediately after treatment when I only had a minute to find a loo.  Usually now it's a case that I should have found a loo earlier and not assumed that I can hold it like I used to.

You might find the Macmillan guides about coping with the side effects of pelvic radiotherapy very useful.  They helped me.

Anyway, hope things improve for you in the coming weeks.

Steve 

User
Posted 20 Feb 2020 at 08:21
Yes, four years after RT and I still get caught out now and again. Usually when I am on a longish walk and a mile from a loo. Embarrassing to say the least and not sure there is an easy answer.
User
Posted 20 Feb 2020 at 08:42
Hi everyone, thanks for reassuring replies, contacted my key worker nurse and she advised Fybogel in case I wasn,t emptying my bowels fully, will let you know how it goes.

Ian

User
Posted 25 Feb 2020 at 11:17

Hi Steve,

I have just read some of your past posts, dear me they almost mirror my problems, the variety of problems on this forum is staggering isn,t it but at least we are getting the chance to work through them.

I,am now taking Fybogel 1/day it seems to have moved the emptying of bowels to the mornings with afternoons and evenings being largely free from toilet visits at the moment ,still get the odd blood in stools, fingers crossed things start to improve. 

Ian

Edited by member 25 Feb 2020 at 11:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 May 2021 at 12:10
15 months on from treatment( external beam radiotherapy) and 95% all good.

Bowels have almost returned to normal, only had one emergency in the past three months.

PSA at 0.1 last three checks and feeling good.

Onward and upward hopefully.

User
Posted 07 May 2021 at 15:57
Excellent news. I'm just over 2 years post-RT now. Took a good year for things to settle down, but all fine now except a very rare episode of passing mucus.

User
Posted 07 May 2021 at 18:10

Great news. Long may that be the case.

Ido4