I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Catheterised during Radiotherapy ?

User
Posted 20 Feb 2020 at 21:19

Hello - Has anyone had to be Catheterised during Radiotherapy ? I see this is mentioned by a couple of hospitals in their information on RT - but have not seen much online about it ! 

User
Posted 20 Feb 2020 at 23:09

Russell,

I had Suprapubic catheter fitted prior to salvage RT as insurance against a urethral stricture closing. Mine was fitted with a flip flo valve so I could fill my bladder during treatment. If you are required to have a full bladder for treatment make sure it is closed before drinking the required amount of water.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 20 Feb 2020 at 23:42

A chap a few weeks ahead of me had to be, because his flow rate dwindled down to nothing.

He was supposed to be doing 23 sessions external beam and then having HDR brachytherapy, but his prostate had swelled and they couldn't get the bladder irrigation catheter in on the operating table, so he had to go back and finish his treatment as all external beam. Part way through that, he had to be catheterised so he could pee at all. It did have the advantage he didn't have to strain hold in the pee - he just closed a tap on the catheter.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2020 at 07:28

Andy

I still struggled to hold in the pee,  the great advantage was as soon as the machine stopped I just opened the tap, instant relief and no rushing to get to the loo.

Thanks Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Feb 2020 at 23:09

Russell,

I had Suprapubic catheter fitted prior to salvage RT as insurance against a urethral stricture closing. Mine was fitted with a flip flo valve so I could fill my bladder during treatment. If you are required to have a full bladder for treatment make sure it is closed before drinking the required amount of water.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 20 Feb 2020 at 23:42

A chap a few weeks ahead of me had to be, because his flow rate dwindled down to nothing.

He was supposed to be doing 23 sessions external beam and then having HDR brachytherapy, but his prostate had swelled and they couldn't get the bladder irrigation catheter in on the operating table, so he had to go back and finish his treatment as all external beam. Part way through that, he had to be catheterised so he could pee at all. It did have the advantage he didn't have to strain hold in the pee - he just closed a tap on the catheter.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2020 at 07:28

Andy

I still struggled to hold in the pee,  the great advantage was as soon as the machine stopped I just opened the tap, instant relief and no rushing to get to the loo.

Thanks Chris