Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Active surveillance - advice needed!

User
Posted 22 Feb 2020 at 13:54

Hello,

I am in an very anxious quandary, is AS a sensible option for me: Age - 66, T2b staging, GS - 7 & PSA - 4.5.

This quandary is underwing my mental health considerably, so any advice from personal experience would be very much welcomed.

I appreciate that everyone is different & unique.

That said, what I have leant is that reaching out can help, hence this email.

Wherryman

User
Posted 22 Feb 2020 at 15:17
What is the breakdown of your Gleason score?

Gleason 4+3=7 is a no no for A/S, 3+4=7 possibly is.

Have you been offered active surveillance by your multi-disciplinary team (MDT)?

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 22 Feb 2020 at 16:11
With a T2b, I would say active surveillance would be a bit like playing roulette.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Feb 2020 at 01:40
Hi Wherryman,

Only you can decide whether you want to give yourself the best chance of irradiating the disease soon at the risk of some immediate short and possibly longer term side effects which treatment brings about. AS can work for some men but for others means less chance of successful treatment when eventually undertaken. (You may be aware that when removed Prostates are examined in the lab, cancer is sometimes found to be more extensive and/or higher grade than previously thought). From the information you have given, in your position I would want treatment soon but that's just my opinion. If you have not yet discussed it with your consultant you will get a more individualized opinion.

Barry