Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

scans after diagnoses

User
Posted 25 Feb 2020 at 13:51

Hi everyone,

Just about got over the diagnoses 3 weeks back GS 3+4. My urologist gave me the news and then arranged for a CT and bone scan. I'm a bit confused since before the biopsy I'd had an MRI and that suggested that the cancer was localised and the capsule was intact. Just wondered if this is protocol for all new diagnoses or is he being extra cautious?

Best wishes to you all.

User
Posted 25 Feb 2020 at 14:57

Scotty

CT and bone scans are pretty standard after diagnosis. It is to check there is no spread elsewhere. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 25 Feb 2020 at 15:17

Cheers Chris good of you to reply.

I thought that given the relatively high radiation doses of these scans they'd only be sanctioned for certain diagnoses. 

All the best,

S

User
Posted 25 Feb 2020 at 15:49

Hi,

He might be being cautious.   What was your psa level?  How many pins found a sample in the biopsy?

User
Posted 25 Feb 2020 at 16:09
Some hospitals only undertake bone scans for men that have a moderate or high risk diagnosis - but the vast majority now give every diagnosed man a bone scan just in case. Your risk from exposure to radiation during a bone scan is much less than the risk of having an aggressive cancer that no one noticed because they thought your Gleason was quite low.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Feb 2020 at 19:55

Hi,

PSA was 5.6, had gone up, then down to 4.4 then up again which is why I had the biopsy.

Can't remember biopsy results since away from home and didn't retain that info.

Cheers,

S

User
Posted 25 Feb 2020 at 19:58

Hi, 

Agreed, in normal circumstances having the scans is a no brainer. My concern comes from having previously had 65 x-rays for a back condition and just didn't want to expose myself to more if I could avoid it.

I'll most probably bite the bullet and go ahead anyway.