I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Sudden shoulder pain

User
Posted 25 Feb 2020 at 16:09

Hypocondriac that I am I woke yesterday morning with shoulder blade pain that radiates round my ribs. Last night it was bad enough to wake me and require the full suite of over counter painkillers. It's no better today (probably worse?)  111 think it's an intercostal tear, I worry it's something else, burnt my back with the hot water bottle as that is the only relief.

Anyone got any words of wisdom to stop me whittling and demanding a bone scan?

User
Posted 25 Feb 2020 at 17:11
First , just think about what you’ve been doing recently. Lying on settee funny ? Cleaning windows , washing car , bedroom acrobatics ?

I have a deep pain in my right shoulder which in my situation obviously gave me a lot of worry. Then I remembered I’m a school caretaker and also very proud of my car , and that I’m forever doing internal glass , external glass , car polishing , mopping and buffing.....

I guess I’m lucky coz I’ve just had a bone scan

User
Posted 25 Feb 2020 at 18:02
:-((

Maybe change hands mate

:-))

User
Posted 28 Feb 2020 at 08:06
Scans are reviewed for all potential issues. In my own case, for example, a sharp-eyed radiologist spotted that I had a kidney tumour right on the edge of my prostate MRI. I had no symptoms from it, and my surgeon told me that I'd probably have been dead in three years if it hadn't been found. So I can honestly say "thank heavens for prostate cancer"! Now I'm minus a kidney, but also minus kidney cancer.

Cheers,

Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Feb 2020 at 17:11
First , just think about what you’ve been doing recently. Lying on settee funny ? Cleaning windows , washing car , bedroom acrobatics ?

I have a deep pain in my right shoulder which in my situation obviously gave me a lot of worry. Then I remembered I’m a school caretaker and also very proud of my car , and that I’m forever doing internal glass , external glass , car polishing , mopping and buffing.....

I guess I’m lucky coz I’ve just had a bone scan

User
Posted 25 Feb 2020 at 17:13
Bedroom antics failed at the weekend for the first time in months 😞. Probably set me up for a depressing week!
User
Posted 25 Feb 2020 at 18:02
:-((

Maybe change hands mate

:-))

User
Posted 25 Feb 2020 at 18:21
😜😜😜😜😜
User
Posted 25 Feb 2020 at 20:53

Easy for me to say but better to find a position, heat or tablet that eases it and stay there a few days.  If it eases at all it's not likely to be the worst.  Then decide whether to ease it out or visit the GP or pharmacist.

It could be arthritis.   I got a sudden pain in my hip and thought the worst.  It was absolute agony for a week and I lay on the settee.  It was painful for 6 months spreading round my back.  After 3 months the GP said it was arthritis and gave me ibuprofin gel.  It didn't do much good but it got better itself.  Still a bit of a twinge though.

User
Posted 25 Feb 2020 at 21:07
Sneezed violently? Had a bad cough?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Feb 2020 at 01:00
Had strange bout of hickups on Sunday, other than that nothing obvious, just woke up with it. Now can't get to sleep with it 😞😞..
User
Posted 27 Feb 2020 at 06:22
So 2 sleepless nights and 2 trips to the out of hours GP and I end up in casualty having x-rays and a CT scan.

Their concern was a pulmonary embolism this proved negative, CT only showed arthritis of my spine.

Pain was sorted by IV paracetamol so discharged home with CoCodamol and Diazapan, the assumption is it's a muscle spasm. Reasonable night's sleep but woken at 5.30 by the pain (pain killers worn off?)

Of course I asked if he CT had shown anything more sinister than arthritis and they said no.

Question is are CT scans reviewed for all potential issues? Or do they just look for what they are worried about?? Can I now stop worrying that whatever this pain is - it isn't anything sinister?? Or would I still need s bone scan to prove this??

User
Posted 28 Feb 2020 at 08:06
Scans are reviewed for all potential issues. In my own case, for example, a sharp-eyed radiologist spotted that I had a kidney tumour right on the edge of my prostate MRI. I had no symptoms from it, and my surgeon told me that I'd probably have been dead in three years if it hadn't been found. So I can honestly say "thank heavens for prostate cancer"! Now I'm minus a kidney, but also minus kidney cancer.

Cheers,

Chris