I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Worried about rising PSA level

User
Posted 28 Feb 2020 at 12:15

My name is Enrique. I live in the United States. I have been having a rise in my Psa levels form 5.3 to now a 10.4 in just 2 months. Had a DRE done 4 months ago with no abnormalities. Just now started to feel a slight symptom of slight discomfort when having to urinate. Free Psa is at .8 ng/ml. Should i be concerned. Thanks in advance. 

User
Posted 29 Feb 2020 at 08:21
Have you asked about a Biopsy, or Scan?

As you’re in the States most of us don’t really understand your Health System, sorry.

Chris.

User
Posted 29 Feb 2020 at 09:07
With your rise in PSA you certainly should be concerned. It may or may not be prostate cancer, but it definitely needs investigating. As Chris says, the normal way forward would be an MRI scan followed by a biopsy.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 29 Feb 2020 at 10:15

In the UK, the next stage would be an urgent cancer referral to a urology department, and they're required to see you within 2 weeks. You would have an mpMRI scan of the prostate and pelvic area. If that shows anything suspicious, this would be followed by a prostate biopsy so that cells can be checked under a microscope, and either cancer ruled out, or confirmed.

You are young, and although prostate cancers are rare in your age group, when they happen, they can be fast moving. So you need to get it investigated without delay.

A DRE will only reveal cancers on the posterior of the prostate, which is the most common place for them, but they can happen anywhere in the prostate, so a DRE is not capable of ruling out prostate cancer.