Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Couple of things a year after RARP

User
Posted 28 Feb 2020 at 12:25

Hi all,

As usual, I really appreciate anyone who reads this and understands some of the fears and tribulations post diagnosis and operations. A couple of things popped up for me recently and would be keen to know if anyone else has experienced them?

Number 1 is that I am FINALLY seeing some life downstairs in the ED department. Not going to be able to hang a hat on it but certainly better than even three months ago! However, I was told I would always be 'dry' and I am finding that with the semi-erections I am also producing lubricating fluid! A quick look online showed this as unusual but not unheard of. Just wondering why after nearly a year without my body has decided to begin secreting something again!

Number 2 is something I have had on and off for a few months and that is some discomfort after I pee and a feeling that I need to go again quite quickly (which never produces much). I have had some IBS issues and constipation recently (all checked out and ok) and I am (also) wondering if bowel problems can affect the bladder and urethra? The discomfort is felt in the body of the penis and the perineum (?!) and seems worse when sitting down. It isn't painful enough to warrant a GP visit, more of an annoyance and tends to go off after an hour or so. I have heard IBS can cause these things as well...but with a slight raise in my PSA last test (from 0.006 to 0.016) my mind is playing the usual tricks!

Apart from that all is good, but curious to hear if others have had the same?

Cheers,

Mark

User
Posted 28 Feb 2020 at 22:40

Some lubrication comes from Cowper's glands, which are below the pelvic floor and not removed with the prostate, although the connections to the urethra might sometimes be damaged when it's pulled in a bit to reconnect it to the bladder. If I was to guess, I suspect the nerves driving them are in the same bundles as the erection nerves, so yours are recovering at the same time as erections. The other possibility is it's leaked urine, although that wouldn't have any mucus in it.

Number 2 could be a UTI (urinary tract infection). A urine dip test could confirm this, although a negative test doesn't prove it isn't - your GP would need to send off a sample to culture.

User
Posted 29 Feb 2020 at 23:12
Thanks Andy...will get checked if the perineum pain gets any worse!
User
Posted 01 Mar 2020 at 07:07

I always secreted lubrication pre-cum during sexual activity but probably far more now nearly 5 yrs since surgery. It doesn’t bother me at all

Edited by member 01 Mar 2020 at 09:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Mar 2020 at 13:12

Many thanks! The discomfort in the pelvis is bothering me more now but I guess that could be a UTI or just a problem with muscles etc after a long walk! My lower back is painful too but I have suffered from that for years!