I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Effect on Teeth

User
Posted 28 Feb 2020 at 19:56

My treatment was RT and 3 yrs Zoladex (with abiraterone, enzalutimide&prednisolone as part of trial for nearly 2 yrs). Zoladex finished June 2018, done its job well. I seemed to have had most of expected side effects. One that I'm currently sorting out is loss of teeth. Some of my teeth just sort of crumbled over last 2yrs or so so I've had 8 removed and need to get dentures. Dentist suggested HT can do this but you don't hear about this side effect too much. Have many suffered in this way? On a purely selfish note, accepting it is still a small price to pay, it is a bit of a pain having to pay for the teeth.

Peter

User
Posted 28 Feb 2020 at 23:33
Yes it is a known risk, as is gum disease and osteoporosis. Until recently, it was common for men on Prostap / Zoladex to also have infusions of Zometa but it seems to me that recently, very few members have been offered this.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Feb 2020 at 23:39

Where you on bisphosphonates or denosumab for low bone density?
These can cause necrosis of the jaw bone.

User
Posted 29 Feb 2020 at 00:19

Peter,

You are right that RT and systemic treatments can have an adverse effect on teeth/gums. Certainly, it's something that should receive more consideration. My teeth were already crumbling prior to HT/RT and I spent part of my inheritance on dental implants having previously had a plate which I hated. I had individual implants in Budapest at a discount when the pound was stronger and these have stood up well for 13 years. A few of my remaining natural teeth have have gradually failed through age and my Hungarian Implantologist has replaced these when he visits London for two days each month as the process involves several visits. It is possible to have a small number of implants supporting a denture which works out cheaper and you pay less for Titanium  abutments  and porcelain crowns than say for zirconium. Lost teeth lead to increasing bone loss over time and in the upper jaw increases the possible need for a sinus lift if implants are wanted. You need to do your homework if considering implants as costs and expertise vary considerably.

Edited by member 01 Mar 2020 at 23:37  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 29 Feb 2020 at 20:01
Yes all comments agreed with. I wasn't on any 'additional' medication 're bone density etc. I might have been assuming or hoping that my teeth would be fine as that side effect didn't seem to get mentioned as much as others but as said I did seem to get most side effects so stands to reason my teeth would suffer I suppose. I actually think it's the teeth and weight around stomach that's affected my psyche more than anything else. I'm sure I'll be going for a plate purely due to cost even tho my future daughter in law is a dentist!

Cheers Peter

User
Posted 29 Feb 2020 at 20:55
You should ask your son or daughter to hurry up and marry her 👍
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Mar 2020 at 13:26
Lynn yes that would be ideal wouldn't it but I'm afraid I'd be far too embarrassed to have someone I know look into my mouth!Anyway as she is in private practice I'm sure I still wouldn't want to pay out so much even with family rates.

Peter