Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Journey starts here.....

User
Posted 05 Mar 2020 at 19:32

Good evening folks,

I underwent elective robotic prostatectomy at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Glasgow on 3/3/20.  Initially diagnosed as a result of a raised PSA and then biopsy in October 2018 followed by "watchful surveillance" until October 2019 when a repeat biopsy showed some progression in disease.  Surgery went well, no apparent spread (although pathology will clarify this) and my lymph nodes were left in place.  Im currently at home having got out of hospital 36 hrs post op.

Firstly, aren't the NHS and their staff absolutely bloody marvelous?  I couldn't have been looked after better by them and it was truly humbling to be treated by them.

I am married, have 3 kids aged 19, 15 & 13.  I am in full time employment and Im fortunate that my employer is fully supportive.

My concerns going forward, assuming that the c has gone, is firstly to get continence back after the catheter comes out and then hopefully sexual function.

Any and all advice and guidance will be happily received!

User
Posted 06 Mar 2020 at 08:14

Crawford

In our part of England we can self refer to our local incontinence service and get everything free. Might be worth a Google of your area.

One of our ladies on here here suggests men look around for deals on pads being offered at supermarkets etc sometimes 3 for 2 deals come up.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 05 Mar 2020 at 21:42

Good that you were pleased with the treatment you received. Take it easy and only lift light things until you can gradually do more. Resume pelvic floor exercises when you can. Be patient because it may take quite a time before you are fully  continent. Also seek advice about best way to achieve sexual function if you have not been told about this. Natural erections can be influenced by whether nerve bundles were preserved when surgery was done. Have regular PSA checks to ascertain surgery was successful which may take quite a time to establish.

Edited by member 06 Mar 2020 at 18:56  | Reason: spelling

Barry
User
Posted 05 Mar 2020 at 23:36

Tdf8

Make the most of that catheter while you have it. Next step,  assuming you have a urethral catheter will be your trial without catheter. Make sure you are well hydrated in the day of the twoc and follow your nurses advice. Stay relaxed and it should be a breeze. Take some pads with you for the journey home and a towel or water proof sheet for the car seat just in case. Perhaps some spare clothes if it is a long journey home. Hopefully you won't need them. I was told no PFEs  with a catheter in, ask your nurse for advice. 

Its not a race so take everything at a pace that suits you.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 06 Mar 2020 at 03:55

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

My concerns going forward, assuming that the c has gone.....

It’s called the big C, by the way, and you are better off without it!😷😷😷😷

Best of luck with your recuperation.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 06 Mar 2020 at 06:59

Crawford

You may already know this ,but if the tip / eye of the penis gets sore use some instilagel or hydrocaine in the eye of the penis. They are both antiseptic, anesthetic and lubricant, available at chemists without prescription, around £3

PFEs are pelvic floor exercises or sometimes called kegals. They are an exercise to strengthen the pelvic floor.  Nor everyone believes in them, the advice to me was do them before the op and again after the catheter has been removed. Check with your nurse when to start after your twoc.

I was fortune to live in an area where pads are free. I had around a hundred Tena 2 pads delivered before my surgery, I was fortunate to be almost dry 4 days after catheter removal but did wear a pad for reassurance for quite a while. 

Leakage when standing up is a frequent comment, this is where the PFEs come in, contract the PF and hold it as you slowly stand up and keep it clenched until you get to the toilet. Try not to go the the loo "just in case" , try to wait a little longer each time you get the urge.

Finally don't get constipation, passing a large motion past your newly stitched joint is not ideal.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 08 Mar 2020 at 16:23

Hi Crawford, 

My husband has recently been diagnosed, and I work in Health.  You should certainly enquire with your health team regarding pads should you need them going forward. Most areas have Continence teams for such services.  Though often supplementary. For example, older children typically receive 3 items per day with families topping up, as they wish to change them more often. 

Best of luck with your forward journey. We won’t be that far behind you with children of 17 and 15 also.  Expecting to have RP by end of May at the latest.

Mel

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Mar 2020 at 21:42

Good that you were pleased with the treatment you received. Take it easy and only lift light things until you can gradually do more. Resume pelvic floor exercises when you can. Be patient because it may take quite a time before you are fully  continent. Also seek advice about best way to achieve sexual function if you have not been told about this. Natural erections can be influenced by whether nerve bundles were preserved when surgery was done. Have regular PSA checks to ascertain surgery was successful which may take quite a time to establish.

Edited by member 06 Mar 2020 at 18:56  | Reason: spelling

Barry
User
Posted 05 Mar 2020 at 23:36

Tdf8

Make the most of that catheter while you have it. Next step,  assuming you have a urethral catheter will be your trial without catheter. Make sure you are well hydrated in the day of the twoc and follow your nurses advice. Stay relaxed and it should be a breeze. Take some pads with you for the journey home and a towel or water proof sheet for the car seat just in case. Perhaps some spare clothes if it is a long journey home. Hopefully you won't need them. I was told no PFEs  with a catheter in, ask your nurse for advice. 

Its not a race so take everything at a pace that suits you.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 06 Mar 2020 at 03:55

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

My concerns going forward, assuming that the c has gone.....

It’s called the big C, by the way, and you are better off without it!😷😷😷😷

Best of luck with your recuperation.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 06 Mar 2020 at 06:27

Thanks for the reply John, i hope you are well.  Yes we are better off without it!

In my family we call it the "wee c".  Unfortunately I was I'll with c years ago which let to a lot of chemo, surgery, radiotherapy and a stem.cell transplant. In fact, the haematologists who treated me think that that is what probably caused this c...

Anyway, we say that I'm the Big C as in "C"rawford and that c doesn't deserve respect or recognition beyond "the wee c".  Its uninvited, unwelcome and unwanted.

Anyway, just a little anecdote from a few years ago.

User
Posted 06 Mar 2020 at 06:30

Good morning Chris and thanks for tour reply.

I have a catheter in and I've been drinking as much as I possibly can to keep it as clear as possible.   It may come out next week when I'm at my next hospital appointment.

Do you have any recommendations as far as pads, and how best to use them?

And what is "PFE's"?

Thanks,

Crawford 

User
Posted 06 Mar 2020 at 06:34

Good morning Barry and thanks for the reply.

I'm currently fitted with a catheter, so pelvic floor exercises need to wait till it comes out, hopefully next week. The surgeon tried to save as much of the nerve bundles as possible, but by his own admission we wont know how successful that was until further down the line.  In the meantime, and for the next 2 months, I've been prescribed a daily dose of sidenafil 25mg to help keep things healthy.

I had surgery on Tuesday, home on Wednesday night,  took it easy on Thursday and plan to go for short walks outside today, Friday.  No lifting etc.

Hope you are well,

Crawford 

User
Posted 06 Mar 2020 at 06:59

Crawford

You may already know this ,but if the tip / eye of the penis gets sore use some instilagel or hydrocaine in the eye of the penis. They are both antiseptic, anesthetic and lubricant, available at chemists without prescription, around £3

PFEs are pelvic floor exercises or sometimes called kegals. They are an exercise to strengthen the pelvic floor.  Nor everyone believes in them, the advice to me was do them before the op and again after the catheter has been removed. Check with your nurse when to start after your twoc.

I was fortune to live in an area where pads are free. I had around a hundred Tena 2 pads delivered before my surgery, I was fortunate to be almost dry 4 days after catheter removal but did wear a pad for reassurance for quite a while. 

Leakage when standing up is a frequent comment, this is where the PFEs come in, contract the PF and hold it as you slowly stand up and keep it clenched until you get to the toilet. Try not to go the the loo "just in case" , try to wait a little longer each time you get the urge.

Finally don't get constipation, passing a large motion past your newly stitched joint is not ideal.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 06 Mar 2020 at 07:04

Ah, right Chris.  Yes, I know about Pelvic Floor Exercises and I've been doing them pre op too. I am being treated at a large hospital in Glasgow which has a "surgical school" pre surgery to go over such things.

I didn't know about the gel etc for any pain from the catheter,  so thanks for that.  I haven't been offered free pads from anyone, so still on the lookout for what will be best and most affordable if I need them medium to long term.  Hopefully I wont!

Greatly encouraging to hear that you were so dry so quickly.  Fingers crossed that I can try to be the same.

Crawford 

User
Posted 06 Mar 2020 at 08:14

Crawford

In our part of England we can self refer to our local incontinence service and get everything free. Might be worth a Google of your area.

One of our ladies on here here suggests men look around for deals on pads being offered at supermarkets etc sometimes 3 for 2 deals come up.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 08 Mar 2020 at 16:23

Hi Crawford, 

My husband has recently been diagnosed, and I work in Health.  You should certainly enquire with your health team regarding pads should you need them going forward. Most areas have Continence teams for such services.  Though often supplementary. For example, older children typically receive 3 items per day with families topping up, as they wish to change them more often. 

Best of luck with your forward journey. We won’t be that far behind you with children of 17 and 15 also.  Expecting to have RP by end of May at the latest.

Mel