I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Diagnosed at 41

User
Posted 05 Mar 2020 at 22:42

Hi all. I’ve Recently been diagnosed with Prostate cancer following biopsy aged 41.   PSA score 10.1 and Gleason 7.  Advice is Prostatectomy keen to hear any advice or similar experiences from others on here

User
Posted 07 Mar 2020 at 21:10

Hi,

I was diagnosed in April 2019 (44 yrs old) and had RP on 1st October 2019 so currently just over 5 months post op.

If you search my profile you should be able to see all the conversations i've been involved in, this will give you an idea of what happens after the operation.

Good luck with everything🤞🏻

User
Posted 07 Mar 2020 at 22:41

Thanks for all the comments everyone, I was only diagnosed this week and already I’m feeling less terrified and much more informed. Can see it’s going to be one hell of a journey, but think I'm in the right place here to help to find people to help me get through it 💪

User
Posted 08 Mar 2020 at 12:20

Hi. Just checked out your website, in a strange sort of way found it not only informative but quite entertaining, I love the directness yet sometimes doubtful, things I am experiencing at the moment. I’m waiting for my op dates so it’s driving me mad with anxiety, and I’m driving my wife nuts to, good days and bad days, you know the score. Anyway loved your site and hope your in good health

Carl.

User
Posted 08 Mar 2020 at 22:13

Hi Carl, my husband is waiting for an op date too.  The anxiety is horrendous. Been particularly difficult today for him, after a few drinks yesterday.  He has said that he is going to heed the limiting drink advice Peter has given you here. 

Hope your wait is over soon, not that the next step of the journey is any less anxiety inducing.  

Mel

User
Posted 09 Mar 2020 at 17:44

Hi Peter’s advise is great, however I stopped drinking the day I was diagnosed in December  but had a few drinks Saturday night as my wife and I went out for a meal with friends. It helped with the stress and anxiety and allowed me to relax a bit which I’ve not been able to do for quite a while.

The wait for the op is horrendous and plays on every emotion we have, I feel awful for putting my lovely wife through all my mood swings, highs and lows. For its looking like my op isn’t going ahead until July which I’m not to happy about but maybe a blessing in disguise with coronavirus on the up and hospitals isolating wards.

Feel free to DM me anytime or can exchange phone numbers if you ever need to blow of steam etc. 

It’s a very supportive community on here, although we all wish we weren’t on here 

Carl

User
Posted 09 Mar 2020 at 21:55

Good plan!  He’s a one or two pints a week guy apart from the occasional blast.

As a wife, please try not to feel awful, we don’t want you to be going through it anymore than you want us to be dealing with it.  It certainly is a rollercoaster. 

Thanks for the offer to DM, may just do so.  Likewise, with you.

Hoping to have an op date by the end of the month. Hoping it won’t be much longer after that, and we’ll be seeing the back end of Coronavirus too! 

M

Mel

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Mar 2020 at 17:04

Hi Fred, sorry that you are a now a member of an ever increasing club. Fear not there are some great guys on this forum who have all the support you’ll ever need, and have helped so much. I have the same diagnosis as you I am only 52. It seems that younger and younger guys are being diagnosed with this awful illness.

Have you had a bone scan yet, this will establish whether or not the cancer has spread. Try not to worry to much, easy to say I know but being positive will help you through these tough few months. Have been offered the da Vinci procedure ? I am waiting now to be told when I’m having the operation so please feel to contact me anytime. I was only diagnosed in Dec 2019 so this is all still new to me too. 

Keep positive and your never alone.....

Carl

User
Posted 06 Mar 2020 at 22:26

Hi Fred,

Although they recommended surgery did they offer any other options and what was your diagnosis after the MRI and biopsy. For example Gleason score, psa, staging.

My surgery experience is in my profile if you click on my name.  There's a link in there to more detail I wrote.

Basically the op should be 2 days in hospital including 2hrs asleep for the op.  A week with a catheter at home.  6 weeks healing and getting better.  On going checks of psa.  Various side effects that improve over months.  All being well.

Some on here might ask why surgery and not a different treatment.  Your diagnosis will suggest the best route.

Good luck.  Ask more if you wish.  Peter

User
Posted 07 Mar 2020 at 08:56

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.  Following discussions with an oncologist, McMillan nurse and surgeon this week I’ve decided to go for surgery given my family history and Gleeson score of 3+4.  Any advice on what to expect post op? Thanks in advance. Fred 

User
Posted 07 Mar 2020 at 12:37
Hi Fred,

If you click my profile you can see my contemporaneous notes taken during my surgery and recuperation two years ago.

Reading others’ reports here it seems I was very, very, lucky, so don’t necessarily expect your recovery to be as good as mine, although I hope it is.

I think so much is down to the skill of the surgeon, and mine said he wouldn’t send a friend or family member to any surgeon who does less than 100 prostatectomies a year.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 07 Mar 2020 at 15:30

Hi Fred, my husband has recently been diagnosed at age 44.  Not in a position to offer much advice, as our journey is just starting too but I guess knowing neither of you are alone in this may be some comfort. 

Mel

User
Posted 07 Mar 2020 at 16:52

Hi Fred, 

Do you have a date for an op?

I don't know if you looked at my website but if you scan down the page linked below near the end it tells you about the post op and a photo of the stitches in my stomach.

https://sites.google.com/site/myprostateprobleminlancashire/radical-prostatectomy

The page below is an account of my post operation condition and appointments.

https://sites.google.com/site/myprostateprobleminlancashire/after-care

There's a lot to take in and at the time it's hard to keep up.  There's probably too much in my website.

The first few months are about stopping leaks with pads and whether you can get an erection.   You are no longer able to eject after the op. 

User
Posted 07 Mar 2020 at 21:10

Hi,

I was diagnosed in April 2019 (44 yrs old) and had RP on 1st October 2019 so currently just over 5 months post op.

If you search my profile you should be able to see all the conversations i've been involved in, this will give you an idea of what happens after the operation.

Good luck with everything🤞🏻

User
Posted 07 Mar 2020 at 22:41

Thanks for all the comments everyone, I was only diagnosed this week and already I’m feeling less terrified and much more informed. Can see it’s going to be one hell of a journey, but think I'm in the right place here to help to find people to help me get through it 💪

User
Posted 07 Mar 2020 at 22:54
Gleason 3+4 is relatively unagressive. So you can afford to spend a bit of time looking at your options.

Are you planning to have more kids? If so RP will be problematic, unless you freeze sperm before the op.

User
Posted 08 Mar 2020 at 12:20

Hi. Just checked out your website, in a strange sort of way found it not only informative but quite entertaining, I love the directness yet sometimes doubtful, things I am experiencing at the moment. I’m waiting for my op dates so it’s driving me mad with anxiety, and I’m driving my wife nuts to, good days and bad days, you know the score. Anyway loved your site and hope your in good health

Carl.

User
Posted 08 Mar 2020 at 20:55

Thanks Carl.  Sometimes you know when you wake what sort of a day it's going to be. 

I found keeping off alcohol kept me stable and sensible.  Less of the waking up at 4 and waves of anxiety.  The worst was waking at 4 with an immediate feeling something is wrong but you don't immediately know what it is.

For someone who enjoyed a drink I was amazed that I had not a single drop of alcohol for 6 months from when I learnt I had cancer to after the op.  Now I only have a very small amount.

User
Posted 08 Mar 2020 at 22:13

Hi Carl, my husband is waiting for an op date too.  The anxiety is horrendous. Been particularly difficult today for him, after a few drinks yesterday.  He has said that he is going to heed the limiting drink advice Peter has given you here. 

Hope your wait is over soon, not that the next step of the journey is any less anxiety inducing.  

Mel

User
Posted 09 Mar 2020 at 17:44

Hi Peter’s advise is great, however I stopped drinking the day I was diagnosed in December  but had a few drinks Saturday night as my wife and I went out for a meal with friends. It helped with the stress and anxiety and allowed me to relax a bit which I’ve not been able to do for quite a while.

The wait for the op is horrendous and plays on every emotion we have, I feel awful for putting my lovely wife through all my mood swings, highs and lows. For its looking like my op isn’t going ahead until July which I’m not to happy about but maybe a blessing in disguise with coronavirus on the up and hospitals isolating wards.

Feel free to DM me anytime or can exchange phone numbers if you ever need to blow of steam etc. 

It’s a very supportive community on here, although we all wish we weren’t on here 

Carl

User
Posted 09 Mar 2020 at 21:55

Good plan!  He’s a one or two pints a week guy apart from the occasional blast.

As a wife, please try not to feel awful, we don’t want you to be going through it anymore than you want us to be dealing with it.  It certainly is a rollercoaster. 

Thanks for the offer to DM, may just do so.  Likewise, with you.

Hoping to have an op date by the end of the month. Hoping it won’t be much longer after that, and we’ll be seeing the back end of Coronavirus too! 

M

Mel