I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Calcification in Prostate

User
Posted 07 Mar 2020 at 10:01

Hi. My doctor examined me as I am having various issues passing urine. Dribble, pain after, desire to go again after I’ve already been and so on. He said my prostate is not enlarged. 

I had a scan and blood test. PSA is 1.3 and there is also calcification in the prostate, which he said isn’t unusual. So no real reason to worry he said. However he said my symptoms are indicative of an enlarged prostate, which mine isn’t, and has referred me to Urology. 

Can anybody tell me what calcification is and what the prognosis is likely to be? And also why I might be having these symptoms if my prostate is not enlarged?

They also detected a small kidney stone in my right kidney. 

Thank you. 

User
Posted 07 Mar 2020 at 12:30
You might benefit from a “Green Light Laser TURP” (trans-urethral resection of the prostate) where they may also be able to remove some of the calcification at the same time. My mate aged seventy had it done, was in hospital just overnight, and he is now “pissing like a horse”, and his “erections are as good as ever”...

I hope you get your urology appointment soon.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 07 Mar 2020 at 15:03
Calcification is just high levels of calcium building up. It can be caused by repeated infections such as prostatitis or because prostatic fluid builds up and isn't ejected frequently (e.g because someone doesn't ejaculate very often). Your symptoms could be caused by prostatitis or by the calcification.

Calcification in other organs presents as things like kidney stones, gall stones, hardening of the arteries, etc

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Mar 2020 at 20:04

Great outcome for your mate 👍😄

Thanks - I’ve never heard of that procedure. 

User
Posted 08 Mar 2020 at 20:06

Thank you