I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Surgery on Wed

User
Posted 08 Mar 2020 at 19:52

Hi, new to this.  Hubby had surgery on Wed and got out of hospital on Fri.  I am trying to keep on top of the pain relief, help with the bag and entice his appetite back with little amounts often, fruit and juice.  Battling with constipation which is really upsetting him.  Early days but any advice is appreciated.

User
Posted 09 Mar 2020 at 06:50

Mrs Mac

Pain killers can cause constipation so bit of a balancing act needed there. I didn't suffer with enough pain to warrant regular painkillers. I found a normal dose of senna was not enough, I have seen people on here consult their doctors and been advised to double the dose, but you don't want to finish up with the runs. Is he drinking plenty of water?

Hope you get him sorted.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 09 Mar 2020 at 07:13
Lactulose is kinder and more effective than sennakot I have found..
User
Posted 09 Mar 2020 at 12:45
Thanks both, trying the lactulose along with the laxido. Balancing with the water too as had low sodium caused initially by too much water, but feel we are making progress. Let's see what the district nurse says tomorrow.
User
Posted 09 Mar 2020 at 15:15

On the topic of constipation.   

Liquid is good, it's easy not to have enough.  Water will do, don't stint. 

Ground Flax seed is good mixed in with cereals.  A teaspoonful is probably enough it can have too big an effect and make it very soft.

Fibre is good.  Bran.  Wholemeal bread.  Fresh fruit like apple.  Muesli.  Vegetables nicely cooked from fresh.

I find Alpen sends me off faster than anything if I eat quite a lot, say breakfast and some as a dessert, quite a lot.   The original version is a bit sweet but better than the non-sweet version.  My wife doesn't like me eating it.

There are foods that bung you up or don't help at all.  These are corn flakes and similar processed cereals. White bread.  Processed food.  Certainly for me anyway.  Not drinking enough liquid.