I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

I have been referred

User
Posted 10 Mar 2020 at 09:31

Hi all. New here and worried as we all are. Last week I had a GP appointment, reduced flow of wee and some dribbling etc, but not getting up at night at all. I had a blood test and the GP phoned me yesterday to come in, My PSA was 11, he examined me and said my prostate felt as if there was a problem, to be honest I cannot remember his exact words nor can my wife. So he said he was referring me, and talked about it being possibly cancer. On the drive home the hospital called and want me there on Thursday this week, wow that was quick. I know that I am going on a bit, and yes worried, scared and all the rest of the emotions, but just writing this is a help too. So suddenly here I am. Is 11 a high score, reading around it seems to be. I have no pain, no discomfort, my only symptom's seem to be a weak flow, which does actually vary, sometimes it is a good flow, I have some sexual ED stuff, but I do take Cyprolex for anxiety etc. So counting the hours before my visit.

Ian

User
Posted 10 Mar 2020 at 11:25

My first piece of advice (based on personal experience) is Don'T Panic! A PSA of 11 is above the threshold for investigation (that's usually 4), but PSA is a poor / unreliable indicator for prostate cancer. When you get to the hospital, they will probably do another Digital Rectal Examination (DRE), then maybe an MRI, I had my MRI about an hour after the DRE confirmed there was a problem.  Then there was the TRUS biopsy - probably the least pleasant experience of the lot, but bearable!  After that there was a bone scan a week or so later (to check for other metastatic cancers), then appointments with a urologist (to explain the findings) and a surgeon, then an oncologist 3 weeks later. They explained the pros and cons of the various treatment options. Which treatment route was left up to me to choose. Had I chosen surgery, it would have been done about 4 weeks later. I chose hormone and radiotherapy, and had hormone treatment for about 7 months, then 20 doses of radiotherapy over 20 days (with weekends off!). The radiotherapy is painless; the side effects were not pleasant, but not awful either. My last radiotherapy session was on November 12th, and I am now waiting for a blood test to check my PSA before meeting the oncologist again in early June. During the whole process, I have found the support from the hospital to be very good. I know I can call the lead nurse practitioner or oncologist's secretary if I have any questions or worries, and the support from Prostate Cancer UK and Macmillan is brilliant. If it is prostate cancer, it is by no means a death sentence if caught early. It can be slow-growing, it is readily treatable, and the odds are you will be ok at the end of it all. It might not even be prostate cancer! But at least you will know, and that is what counts. The longer you don't know, the longer the cancer has to develop and spread. A positive outlook helps a lot, too.

Edited by member 11 Mar 2020 at 10:10  | Reason: forgot about the biopsy!

User
Posted 10 Mar 2020 at 12:17

Many thanks for the replies, I am reading everything on here, trying not to panic, the waiting is the worse thing.

Ian