I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Wed 18th March - Chorleywood and Mount Vernon

User
Posted 11 Mar 2020 at 10:24

I've lined up 3 patient events which might be of interest to some of you, all on Wednesday 18th March and nearby each other (Rickmansworth/Chorleywood, M25 J18), to make them easier to attend. I did this in January and it was popular, so repeating the same format.

11am-1pm
Mount Vernon Prostate Cancer Support Group,
Postgraduate Medical Centre, Mount Vernon Hospital, Northwood HA6 2RN.
This is a small group which chats about treatments and side effects over tea/coffee/biscuits, mainly patients of Mount Vernon (all types of Radiotherapy, hormone therapy, and chemotherapy), but other patients are welcome too. This month will include a talk on the trials PIVOTAL boost, PACE-C, POPS and palliative trials by two Mount Vernon research radiographers.

2pm-4:30pm
Surviving Hormone Therapy (ADT) for Prostate Cancer Patients,
Kodak Lecture Theatre, Postgraduate Medical Centre, Mount Vernon Hospital, Northwood HA6 2RN.
This is a repeat of a group session I ran in January at Mount Vernon, for patients to learn about dealing with HT side effects, maintain their health, and to share experiences. Open only to patients on hormone therapy, although patients can be from any treatment centre, not just Mount Vernon.
Please register for this Hormone Therapy event by sending me PM, or alternatively please call 0118 357 7435.

6pm
I'll be grabbing a bite to eat at The White Horse (WD3 5SD), 200 yards north-west of M25 J18, which is close to Christ Church for The FOPS. (They serve food from 6pm.) You are welcome to join me.

7:30pm-9pm
The FOPS - Chorleywood Prostate Support Group
Christ Church, Rickmansworth Road, Chorleywood WD3 5SG.
The FOPS is a fantastic support group that meets on alternate months at Chorleywood, very near M25 J18. It is for men at any stage of diagnosis and treatment of any urological issues, and their partners. The group concentrates on medical issues and is lead by our two resident Consultant Urologists, Julian Shah and Alvan Pope. This month, we will again be joined by Consultant Urologist Vimo Arumuham and Pelvic Health Physiotherapist Victoria Muir. This is an excellent opportunity to learn and ask questions of top urologists, and to learn from fellow patients and make new friends. This is probably the best support group in the country for learning about the medical side of prostate cancer and other urological disorders. Tea, coffee, a glass of wine (or two) are also available. Free parking on site.
http://www.thefops.org.uk
https://www.facebook.com/The-FOPS-Prostate-Cancer-Support-Group-100950298013904/

I'd love to see you at any (or all) of these events.

Edited by member 11 Mar 2020 at 17:36  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Mar 2020 at 11:15
Thank you again for all this sterling work you do on our behalf.

Cheers, John.😷😷😷😷

User
Posted 14 Mar 2020 at 21:34

The March FOPS meeting has been cancelled according to their Facebook post.

User
Posted 14 Mar 2020 at 22:46

Yes, that FB post comes from me (although the cancellation decision isn't mine).

Thanks for reminding me I should have said so here too!

It's a sad decision, but PCSG members are generally going to be more vulnerable than the population as a whole. We will put some thought in to how we can safely run support groups the future, but that needs more time to plan (and I'm all ears if anyone has some good ideas). Same with awareness events and PSA testing events.

We have not yet decided to cancel the Mount Vernon events (discussion is ongoing at the moment), but that may happen. Watch this space if you are intending to go to either of them.

Edited by member 14 Mar 2020 at 22:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Mar 2020 at 17:50
I'm sorry to say all the Prostate events I mentioned on Wednesday 18th March have now been cancelled. These are:

• Mount Vernon Prostate Cancer Support Group
  • Surviving Hormone Therapy (ADT) for Prostate Cancer Patients
  • The FOPS Chorleywood Prostate Support Group

Mount Vernon has also cancelled all other support groups and LJMC workshops.

We will discuss some alternative ways of running the support groups, possibly using remote access. If anyone has some ideas, I'm all ears.

Edited by member 15 Mar 2020 at 17:51  | Reason: Not specified