Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

How to use nomograms

User
Posted 14 Mar 2020 at 08:49

Hi

can anyone explain yeh nomograms like Sloane Kettering and Capra.

they seem to give a mortality IF you have a radical prostatectomy but not if you don’t and pursue active surveillance. The comparison would help decision making. Does anyone have any advice?

many thanks !

User
Posted 14 Mar 2020 at 10:56

You could look at the " Predict Prostate" site. It was done by Cambridge University and compares survival at different stages and the difference between radical treatment and surveillance.

I found it enlightening in that there was such a small difference whichever way you go. ( Especially in the lower grade cancers) and it has made me question whether we did the right thing. Unfortunately it doesn't give you recurrence rates which is what most of us probably fear with the prospect of more unpleasant treatment.

I am not very good at adding a link but if you just Google  Predict prostate it will come up easily enough.

As for the American nomograms we in the UK seem to have worse outcomes for some reason and it can vary depending on hospitals and who treated you. 

It must always be remembered that these are only averages and we are not just a statistic.

Best regards

Ann

User
Posted 14 Mar 2020 at 16:39

Thanks so much Ann: I hadn’t found the predict Prostate site before. Not sure why my team hadn’t told me but I guess its new. So thank you, it looks like it’s what I was after. But still makes the decision finely tuned! 

User
Posted 14 Mar 2020 at 17:42

And another thank you Ann. I have been looking for a nice calculator like that for ages. Sloane Kettering comes up all the time, but the Cambridge one is far easier to use.

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Mar 2020 at 10:56

You could look at the " Predict Prostate" site. It was done by Cambridge University and compares survival at different stages and the difference between radical treatment and surveillance.

I found it enlightening in that there was such a small difference whichever way you go. ( Especially in the lower grade cancers) and it has made me question whether we did the right thing. Unfortunately it doesn't give you recurrence rates which is what most of us probably fear with the prospect of more unpleasant treatment.

I am not very good at adding a link but if you just Google  Predict prostate it will come up easily enough.

As for the American nomograms we in the UK seem to have worse outcomes for some reason and it can vary depending on hospitals and who treated you. 

It must always be remembered that these are only averages and we are not just a statistic.

Best regards

Ann

User
Posted 14 Mar 2020 at 16:39

Thanks so much Ann: I hadn’t found the predict Prostate site before. Not sure why my team hadn’t told me but I guess its new. So thank you, it looks like it’s what I was after. But still makes the decision finely tuned! 

User
Posted 14 Mar 2020 at 17:33

Glad to be of help Iggy.

Best Wishes

Ann

User
Posted 14 Mar 2020 at 17:42

And another thank you Ann. I have been looking for a nice calculator like that for ages. Sloane Kettering comes up all the time, but the Cambridge one is far easier to use.

Dave