Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Newbie - should I be concerned?

User
Posted 15 Mar 2020 at 17:53

Hello,

I wonder if I can pick your collective brains please.

I am 39 years old have been having slow flows for about 6 months but didn't think much of it. I had been trying to force urine out especially at the end of my loo visits. More frequent need for the loo night and day.

My wife insisted I went to the docs after I started getting fairly bad pains in my lower back, hips, thighs and now my knees. It wasn't a muscular pain it felt deeper set than that.

Anyway I went to docs and had bloods and exam. Doc said my prostate is 'significantly' enlarged but he couldn't tell if it was abnormal in any other ways. Bloods PSA levels were in normal range.

I have been referred to a urologists and my appointment isn't until July this year. 

Am  I right to assume that given the long wait for an appointment and the low PSA then I am pretty much in the clear with regard to cancer? More likely an enlarged prostate and nothing else?

Many thanks in advance.

User
Posted 15 Mar 2020 at 21:25

Hi - I am a bit older than you (52) but an enlarged prostate at your age sounds a bit 'early' for prostate cancer and, I think you are right, the Doc would get you a 2 week appointment if worried!

In my own case I had a low PSA 0.7 but a prostate that was 'firm' on one side. Even then they tried antibiotics etc and it took a while to diagnose.

Easy to say I know, but try to stay with your original thoughts on low PSA, enlarged prostate (possibly prostatitis) and possibly the discomfort referring from your lower back (which I have in spades!) as any lower back issue can cause pain in the groin and interfere down under.

Stay calm, get the thing looked at and try to carry on as normal - lots of us on here have worried as you are now and it does help to know others have sat there in the dark with the mind going 200mph!

User
Posted 15 Mar 2020 at 23:37
Your symptoms are more associated with kidney problems / urinary tract infection, prostatitis or benign prostate enlargement than anything else. However, 'PSA was in normal range' isn't very useful to you and doctors can have funny ideas about what is 'normal range' so do you know exactly what the reading was? Whatever it was, I would be asking for another PSA test in May to see whether the PSA is stable or rising.

Other questions - are you black African / black African Caribbean? Do you have close female relatives that have had breast cancer when they were still young, or ovarian / uterine cancer?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Mar 2020 at 07:15

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

I am a white British male and no history of those problems in my family as far as I know.

My mother's father died of prostate cancer in his early 50's though but I was under the impression that that was okay as risk factors are associated with the paternal side. I probably have that completely wrong though.

No my Dr wouldn't tell me the PSA level. I did ask but he said I just need to know it is in normal range for my age. Bit odd but I didn't think to question further.

That is reassuring that it is more likely related to urinary tract problems.

Many thanks

User
Posted 16 Mar 2020 at 11:17
A paternal grandfather who died of PCa so young (which is unusual and was certainly unusual then) may be significant; it isn't just the male line that matters.

Unacceptable for a doctor to say you 'just need to know' anything. Phone or call in at the GP practice and ask them to give you your actual PSA result. Or perhaps you are already registered with your GP practice to be able to access your medical records online?

I am sure it will turn out to be benign - John had a similar problem from the age of 35 which turned out to be a bladder muscle condition - but without the numbers, it is hard for you to be reassured that your doctor is responding correctly.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Mar 2020 at 11:27

Thanks again for the reply.

I'll get on to the docs to find out from them. He said I didn't need to know as the PSA test is not a great indicator (which made me question why it is even done in that case). He said that over 30% of men with elevated PSA do not have prostate cancer and on the flip side roughly the same percentage who have low levels turn out to have it.

I have no real way of confirming that so felt like he would know best.

Sorry for the continual messages and thank you all for answering them for me.

User
Posted 16 Mar 2020 at 11:30

Easiest way may be just to call the surgery receptionist and ask for a print out of your results - they have to provide that and you don't need to feel you are pushing your GP. I agree with Lyn, to say it isn't something you need to know is ridiculous! It will be useful for you even as a baseline at your age.

User
Posted 16 Mar 2020 at 11:36
He sounds delightful!

User
Posted 16 Mar 2020 at 12:05

Great thanks for the reply. I'll take both sets of advice and call my doctors and get back to you all.

User
Posted 16 Mar 2020 at 12:39
If I were you, I would ask for another PSA test now, and armed with the results, pay about 250 quid for a private consultation with a urologist ASAP, as your July appointment on the NHS is likely to be delayed given the s**tstorm about to engulf it.

Keep breathing!

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 16 Mar 2020 at 13:30
Best to wait and see what the current PSA result is first, perhaps?

User
Posted 18 May 2020 at 22:54

Hi Mark. I am curious regarding your PSA 0.7 and a firm prostate. I am intrigued because back in December 2019 my PSA was 0.5 and the right lobe of my prostate was firm. Urology nurse said see you in 3 months for possible biopsy. I am awaiting PSA results in 2 days time from GP. Thanks

User
Posted 18 May 2020 at 23:07

Hi Mark Berks, I am intrigued by your PSA 0.7 and your firm prostate. Back in December I had a PSA of 0.5 and the right lobe of my prostate was firm. Urology nurse said see you in 3 months for possible biopsy. I am due to get PSA results in 2 days time from GP but have not heard a thing regarding biopsy which should of been in March. Thanks

User
Posted 18 May 2020 at 23:11
A firm prostate always needs exploring - push for an MRI and biopsy regardless of your PSA level.

User
Posted 18 May 2020 at 23:21

I had an MRI on my spine in March for symptoms of sciatica. Lower spine pain, pelvis pain, Femur pain and numbness tingling sensations in right leg. Results showed ware and tear. 

User
Posted 18 May 2020 at 23:59
That isn't the same as having a mpMRI on your prostate

User
Posted 19 May 2020 at 00:15

I know, that's why I said on my spine. When I phone the receptionist on Wednesday regarding PSA results I will ask her to get the Dr to call me so I can chase up an MRI of the prostate 

User
Posted 19 May 2020 at 00:18

I am also on Tamsulosin to ease my urinal symptoms which are stop start, hesitancy, weak flow, dribbling, leaking and frequency. 

User
Posted 19 May 2020 at 09:30

Hi there,

Mine took a while to diagnose so I may not be the best person to ask, however I can tell you the rough course of events! I did have symptoms, so that was the first issue and it was discomfort after having a pee...not pain, more a nagging sense I hadn't finished and a mild ache. I was put on ciprofloxacin (not good for me) and that didn't help, so it was a case of keeping up with the GP until referred. All my GP exams were 'normal' in that they could discern any issues. Finally I was referred and chose to see 'the prof'. PSA was 0.7 and my prostate was small, so no enlargement related issues. The Prof did a DRA and noticed the one-side firmness and that was the point he ordered a pelvic CT (for my lower back pain as much as anything) and the mpMRI (to check prostate mainly). CT scan was clear and mpMRI showed a PI-RADS of 3 (which is unequivocal). We agreed to check back in 3 months and I just took pain killers. After 3 months I had another mpMRI which showed a PI-RADS of 2...going in the right direction you could say!! Still we agreed to go ahead with the template biopsy and 40 cores taken of which 1 showed evidence of cancer with my options being active surveillance and/or various treatments. I need to say here that AS was what was recommended.

I decided to opt for surgery as I 'wanted it out'! No regrets on that but I could kindly suggest AS may be good for someone less anxious than me.

I am not sure if the cancer was found almost 'by accident' as I still have some discomfort down there to this day and by prostate was actually reducing in size by atrophy! No idea what was causing that...

If you have one side firm, some discomfort etc then it seems sensible to ask for an mpMRI at the very least to see if there is any change? My first one highlighted general atrophy rather than anything sinister and with your low PSA it could be simply a prostate going a bit haywire! My cancer was 1% of an already small prostate, so it is hard to think that was causing all my symptoms...maybe just a perfect storm collecting!

Main thing I would say is not to panic if you can - easy to say I know! But having been through it all I wish I could have heeded this hindsight advice as the options are many and the good surgeons are amazing...

Just ask away if you have any more questions as I seem to have rambled on enough now!!

Take care,

Mark

User
Posted 19 May 2020 at 09:33

PS!

I have a lot of lower back issues and my spinal MRI last year showed a pars-defect (no idea what this was...thanks Google) and some disc herniation but not bad enough to warrant surgery! Seems the back can produce quite a lot of pain when wear and tear is the only diagnosis!