Show search

Notification

Error

Anyone read this book

User
Posted 16 Mar 2020 at 17:25
User
Posted 04 Dec 2020 at 13:56
Not this book but the Jane Plant diet is very popular with some members but too extreme for many and the scientific research base is not strong.

I use the Prostate Care Cookbook by the Prostate Cancer Research Foundation - available on Amazon. It is honest about what the science does and does not tell us, and has easy to follow recipes.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Feb 2021 at 13:47
Hope is a good thing to have; false hope can be very damaging. It is important to balance the two.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Feb 2021 at 20:45
I am not disagreeing with the suggestion to read it if interested; I tried really hard to engage J with the prostate healthy diet / starbmve the cancer / no red meat / no dairy / no processed food thing in the early years (without success - I found out he was cheating whenever I went away on business 😬).

My only (tiny) concern with your post was the bit that said "told there is no cure available on the NHS" which could be misunderstood by some people as implying that there are cures for advanced PCa that are not available on the NHS. There is no cure for advanced prostate cancer, a long remission is the best anyone can aim for.

User
Posted 11 Feb 2021 at 08:49
There's certainly a convincing case to be made that choice of diet can reduce your chances of getting certain types of cancer. I remain unconvinced, though, that diet can impact cancer progression. Are there any properly conducted medical trials to support such claims?

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 11 Feb 2021 at 13:50
I would expect the people making the claims to fund the studies to verify their efficacy. It is of course illegal in the UK to claim that something has medical benefits unless such benefits have been proven.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 11 Feb 2021 at 16:24

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
There's certainly a convincing case to be made that choice of diet can reduce your chances of getting certain types of cancer. I remain unconvinced, though, that diet can impact cancer progression. Are there any properly conducted medical trials to support such claims?

Best wishes,

Chris

The Prostate Cancer Research Foundation did some 'proper' research - conclusions were that:

- diet has a significant impact on prostate health but the harmful foods would need to be eliminated from a young boy's diet to make any difference to him as an adult

- diet makes no difference to the success or otherwise of radical treatment for PCa

- some dietary changes may be able to slow the progression of advanced cancer and make treatment more effective for longer 

Edited by member 11 Feb 2021 at 16:25  | Reason: typo

User
Posted 11 Feb 2021 at 16:35
Thanks, Lyn!

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 06 Apr 2021 at 16:51

Hello Annie6662,

Yes, I have read that book. I found it inspiring although the woman who wrote it has certain characteristics that I do not chime with. In my opinion, she has a strident voice, an overpowering drive and a somewhat arrogant attitude. Having said that, she is clearly a fighter and a fighter needs those characteristics.

After reading the book, I changed my diet by stopping sugar and alcohol for nine months. I felt better, my PSA dropped by 2 points, stabilised, then rose 2 points. So, the book had a benefit on my overall health and mental attitude.  However, it did not "starve" my cancer.

I am on AS and have been for 18 months, Gleason 3+3 T1. My biopsy indicates that I am low/intermediate risk. I am in the process of considering surgery and or HIFU.

Good luck

Tim

User
Posted 06 Apr 2021 at 22:08

Hi Tim,

I did buy it but neither of us read it after all that 😊 We are just over 12 months now of Hormone Treatment which is doing the trick for now. 

Some days you just have to create your own sunshine......