Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Can PSA levels fluctuate?

User
Posted 16 Mar 2020 at 17:54

Hi all,

My dad has been on hormone injections since Jan 2018, also had chemo to start.  his psa levels gradually went down to 0.1.  Latest test today is 0.3.  I know this is a small rise, and the doctor has said to wait for another 3 months before doing anything, as it may stay low or stabilise.

My question is... can psa levels fluctuate in this small amount while on hormone injections?

Thanks!

User
Posted 16 Mar 2020 at 20:55
Short answer is yes, they can even fluctuate between morning and afternoon. They can fluctuate because there is a bit of inflammation or infection. If he is on 3 monthly injections, the difference (0.1 - 0.3) could be because his blood test was taken in week 10 last time and week 11 this time. If he is on monthly injections, it could have been on day 23 and then day 25.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Mar 2020 at 21:09

Hi lyn

thanks so much for responding, hopefully it stays the same or goes back down next time and it was just a normal fluctuation rather than the start of an increase!

thank you :)