I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Coronavirus self isolation

User
Posted 16 Mar 2020 at 23:58

What with being over 70 and with advanced PCa if I have to self isolate getting my next PSA bloods might be a bit tricky although when my Decapeptyl jab is due it should be just about manageable through the letterbox!  😀

User
Posted 18 Mar 2020 at 21:54

I am not of this church but if you would like to have an uplifting experience I recommend you listen to my favorite cross over female singer SISSEL singing 'Slow Down' at the 2019 Pioneer Concert in Salt Lake City with the fantastic Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra as here:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFe84U__kt8

and if you liked this you might like her singing 'Like an angel passing through my room' and some spiritual songs from about 12 on intermittently on this link:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCsRT5smmZM

Edited by member 18 Mar 2020 at 21:55  | Reason: to highlight link

Barry
User
Posted 17 Mar 2020 at 13:05
I’m self-isolating down the pub (until the inevitable compulsory closure next week), not many people here, and I am six foot away from everyone else.

Cheers, John.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Mar 2020 at 03:54
There are so many ramifications and things to be sorted out due to increasing restrictions. It is not clear how people of 70 plus and with underlying health issues will be able to have blood tests and their HT safely at their GP's or whether a nurse will visit a patient at home for this. The problem for those having Chemo and have weakened immune systems poses a greater problem. Incidentally, I had a Dr ring me from UCLH in connection with my recent MRI (which showed little advance over the previous one so glad no need for further treatment yet fortunately). I took the opportunity to ask whether being on HT weakened the immune system sufficiently to be considered an underlying health issue. He said it was a good question but would have to find out.

This Coronavirus certainly concentrates minds. As my wife and I are in the group most at risk, I have been making sure I have detailed as much as possible what needs to be done to help my daughters in the event of our deaths. This is something I should have done previously but hitherto have felt there was no great urgency.

Barry
User
Posted 17 Mar 2020 at 06:29
I haven't spoken to anyone over 70 so far who is prepared to self isolate and that includes my 92 year old mother.
User
Posted 17 Mar 2020 at 08:14

'Avoid all non essential travel' - well that rules out my walking trips around London via the train (and now to be cancelled Devon walking holiday in April). But my daily trips to Tesco and afternoon short walks are essential. I also view my attendance at church on Sundays as 'essential'. Not allowed to have any pub lunches.
Got a dental appointment next week and annual bloods including PSA in April. Will see what happens.

"Your government has just stolen my life" (ala St Greta) sums up my feelings.

User
Posted 17 Mar 2020 at 10:04

Hi,

Please see my post of yesterday about the range of exercises you can do at home that are available free on YouTube.

There is no need to go out every day for exercise !

Keep safe

Regards

Norm

User
Posted 17 Mar 2020 at 12:49

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I took the opportunity to ask whether being on HT weakened the immune system sufficiently to be considered an underlying health issue. He said it was a good question but would have to find out.

I am very much a glass half full person. The following article is rather technical, but broadly says male and female immune systems respond differently, and in general the female system is better at handling external threats, though at an increased risk of autoimmune disease.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5669826/

It was observed in Wuhan that females had better outcomes from covid19 than males (though sex differences in smoking habits may have been the cause). Anyway the good news for us men on ADT is that our immune system becomes much more "female" whilst on ADT. So we probably have a better immune response to Coronovirus than testosterone fuelled males.

I wouldn't substitute my barrack-room advice for that of a health professional, but in the absence of any other information, I am happy to assume I am certainly at no greater risk than the general population.

Dave

User
Posted 17 Mar 2020 at 13:05
I’m self-isolating down the pub (until the inevitable compulsory closure next week), not many people here, and I am six foot away from everyone else.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 17 Mar 2020 at 13:14

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Anyway the good news for us men on ADT is that our immune system becomes much more "female" whilst on ADT. So we probably have a better immune response to Coronovirus than testosterone fuelled males.

There's a wide range of "normal" for testosterone, roughly 6.5 to 26.

Men at the high end of "normal" have weaker immune systems than men at the lower end of "normal".

Tests didn't run down to castrate levels, but if you extrapolate (which might not be a valid assumption), then you might speculate men on ADT would have the best immune response.

However, it is worth noting that with some diseases, it's your immune response that kills you. Spanish Flu is perhaps the best example, where to a significant degree, the fitter you were, the more likely you were to die.

User
Posted 17 Mar 2020 at 15:18

You kind of think "I've got cancer - I can't see anybody" but the advice on this seems fairly specific and it's only in certain circumstances - ie chemo or clinical trials.

That said my age - 71 - my lung issues (asthma) and the fact that I have type 2 diabetes (albeit only just over the threshold) are reasons enough to be careful.

For me the most compelling reason to be careful is simply that, if you are over 70 with one or two health issues, you are more likely to get seriously ill. This has a knock on effect on A and E. If, for example, it was full of Covid 19 victims, where would they put heart attack, stroke and serious injury patients. People could die not of Covid 19 but because somebody was taking up space in an ICU.

Discovered the delight's of Tesco "Click and Collect" this morning (all delivery slots full until Thursday 26th when I will get a delivery). It works well and there is minimal contact with other people. Dedicated drive through system, the stuff is wheeled out to you and you put it in your car.

User
Posted 17 Mar 2020 at 16:20

Our GP has stopped the 3 times a week blood clinic without saying how it is replaced.  For the better really as it's at 8am to 9am and full of sick pensioners who queue at the door from 7,30am.   Presumably you ring them if you want a blood test.

Also your comment, Davews about going to church.  I know someone where the church has started on line services.   

My wife's pilates class lady has offered video pilates lessons.  Although YouTube must be full of them.

User
Posted 17 Mar 2020 at 16:44
The CofE has suspended all church services for the duration :-(
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Mar 2020 at 08:15
And my Methodist Church has also suspended all services, so much for that. We are going to set up all sorts of things, phone, Skype, whathaveyou for people to keep in touch but nothing is better than face to face contact. We single people fair worst, don't even have a dog to keep me company.

Now got to pop down to our surgery and drop in a repeat prescription form, their online system seems to have crashed. If I have chance I will ask them about blood tests and whether mine next month is cancelled.

User
Posted 18 Mar 2020 at 10:58

I meet up with a group of ex colleagues and friends on a bi monthly basis for a few drinks and a meal. One of our number has suggested a "Skype" booze up! We would set up the links, chat and drink beer.

User
Posted 18 Mar 2020 at 10:59
Can anyone join in? Can I bring a cup of tea?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Mar 2020 at 13:39

We are both overy 70  and my oh is on chemo. 

Our Church has suspended services but our vicar is organising things we can do at home including details of tv services etc. We can still enter the Church for prayer if we want to and sanitising products will be available.

We were lucky to find a quiet place to sit in hospital yesterday when my oh had a ct scan and only one person should accompany the patient now.

From today we will be in isolation  but will still take walks. Luckily many people have offered us help and living  close to the country we can avoid people. Many local shops and cafes have offered home deliveries. 

I pray that everyone takes the coronavirus precautions seriously so that the number catching it is reduced.

User
Posted 18 Mar 2020 at 21:54

I am not of this church but if you would like to have an uplifting experience I recommend you listen to my favorite cross over female singer SISSEL singing 'Slow Down' at the 2019 Pioneer Concert in Salt Lake City with the fantastic Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra as here:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFe84U__kt8

and if you liked this you might like her singing 'Like an angel passing through my room' and some spiritual songs from about 12 on intermittently on this link:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCsRT5smmZM

Edited by member 18 Mar 2020 at 21:55  | Reason: to highlight link

Barry
User
Posted 07 Apr 2020 at 17:43

My partner just had his PSA test done at home - the nurse came out, in mask and apron - as we said, I wonder what the neighbours will think! Hope he'll have his next Zoladex (due at end of April) the same way.

User
Posted 07 Apr 2020 at 18:41
Very useful to know that Artyfriend, how did you arrange it?