I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

AS and PSA testing interval

User
Posted 19 Mar 2020 at 03:02

I have a dilemma which is I have been put on AS with a Gleason of 3+4 (<5% 4) in one area one side -   I am OKish with this for the moment but my first 3month repeat PSA is due but I have a number of other conditions and nearly 70 so am advise to isolate as much as possible - basically Covid 19 will kill me if I get it.

What is the relative risk if just leaving the test for another 3 months when I might risk leaving despite not having any vaccine for probably 18 months.

i am due a repeat MRI in December  to check changes. My PSA was 4.1 last December (an increase from 2.3 18 months earlier and 1.9 18 months before that)

I know it’s a balance of risk versus benefit - especially as if it has risen I am unlikely to get treatment immediately. But if course there is always the background worry it may become more aggressive and I don’t spot it in time.

input of what other think or those in similar position would be helpful 

User
Posted 19 Mar 2020 at 11:43
You could ring your surgery and ask whether your local district nurse could visit you at home and get a blood sample.
Barry
User
Posted 19 Mar 2020 at 16:32
Neither Dad nor John will be going for their PSA blood test which is due now / next month. Even if there was a PSA rise, there is unlikely to be any change to treatment / AS plans for the time being and the NHS needs to free up as many clinical spaces as possible.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Mar 2020 at 11:00

That is a dilema.

If you think you won't be treated at the moment (and lot of people are finding this), then there's probably no point in having a PSA test just now.

User
Posted 19 Mar 2020 at 11:43
You could ring your surgery and ask whether your local district nurse could visit you at home and get a blood sample.
Barry
User
Posted 19 Mar 2020 at 16:32
Neither Dad nor John will be going for their PSA blood test which is due now / next month. Even if there was a PSA rise, there is unlikely to be any change to treatment / AS plans for the time being and the NHS needs to free up as many clinical spaces as possible.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard