Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

gushing??

User
Posted 20 Mar 2020 at 16:04

Hi,

Its been two months since having my prostate removed and feel great. My only problem is when I stand up I gush wee big time. It floods pads and even took of a urinary sheath!

I do the exercises all the tim,I just wondered if there is anything else I can do to help it along?

Thanks

User
Posted 20 Mar 2020 at 20:52
Are you dry at night? What about when sitting down?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Mar 2020 at 08:37

Sitting ok and night time pad just a bit damp.

User
Posted 21 Mar 2020 at 09:49

Terry

Do you tense your pelvic muscles before standing ? 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 21 Mar 2020 at 09:53

Hi Chris, yes bud,but still happens after a little while?

I had my op in January,am I being impatient?

User
Posted 21 Mar 2020 at 10:37

Terry

We all recover at different rates, being able to hold the night time urine is a good sign. 

There are ways of testing how effective you Pelvic floor technique is but it does involve a probe and in the current situation not sure you would get it done.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 21 Mar 2020 at 16:27

Just thought i would add that Im using approx three pads a day,most absorbent ones!!

User
Posted 21 Mar 2020 at 19:15

Terry

Not something you should do on a regular basis, but if you urinate normally can you stop the flow ?

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 21 Mar 2020 at 22:16
If you are almost dry at night and nearly dry when sitting, there is still hope; it may be that you just need some help with bladder retraining. Generally speaking, if the night time continence is good then there is no mechanical damage.

It is a bit early for referral to incontinence services as this is still early days - the guidance is that you should regain continence between 3 - 12 months post op. If you are impatient, I think there are bladder training exercises you can download via google. Also check that you are doing the pelvic floor exercises correctly.

Note that bladder retraining and pelvic floor exercises are not the same thing.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Mar 2020 at 10:22

Thanks for that,Ill give it a while longer and see how I go? 

Did I mention that Ive been given the all clear? Brilliant news.

User
Posted 18 Apr 2020 at 13:13
Hi Terry,

I suffered exactly the same problem for the first couple of weeks after the catheter was removed and had to have a bucket handy and grab myself before standing up!! After a few weeks of clenching and tensing the pelvic floor muscles when standing up, I found that this eased and resolved itself but I was left with mild stress incontinence.

I have just posted a practical solution to managing this without the need for pads, if you find that your incontinence does not completely resolve itself after a year or so. It requires a sheath and thigh bag and a modified pair of undies!!

User
Posted 18 Apr 2020 at 13:17

Hi,where did you post it?

I use the sheaths etc now most of the time.

Thanks

User
Posted 18 Apr 2020 at 13:39

It hasn't appeared yet! Maybe it's taking longer for new posts to be moderated at the minute. Basically it involves the use of a sheath and modified Conveen (Coloplast) Active thigh bag. The modification involves sewing a pocket into a pair of boxers to hold the thigh bag without having to strap this around the thigh directly to the skin. It has been a game changer for me. 

User
Posted 18 Apr 2020 at 13:42

Hi again. Just checked and it has now been posted with the title Stress Incontinence Management- check under recent conversations.

User
Posted 18 Apr 2020 at 14:49

Cheers,will do