Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Postponed radiotherapy

User
Posted 26 Mar 2020 at 08:05

Hi all

Gleason 4+5=9 and local lymph psa162 been on hormone and just about to start 37 round ds of radiotherapy but now it is cancelled.just wondering if the hormone injections will hold everything until back to normal

User
Posted 26 Mar 2020 at 12:48
I was on HT for 8 months before RT, I read somewhere on here the optimum period is 6 months.

In my case I had chemo before the RT. Got every sympathy with fellow posters who's treatment is being delayed by the lockdown.

User
Posted 26 Mar 2020 at 13:17
Hi Pungle,

the delay won't do you any harm - some oncologists like to start RT after 3 months of HT, others like to wait 6 or 9 months. In the current crisis, you are more at risk of dying of COVID than of dying as a result of prostate cancer.

If possible, it will be important to monitor your PSA level during the delay though - has it been tested since you were first diagnosed and did it fall significantly lower than the starting point of 162?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Mar 2020 at 13:30
Thanks for the replies,no I havnt had a blood test for 2 months,I was supposed to be going on the 31st for the planning for radiotherapy and blood test maybe I should have one anyway.
User
Posted 12 Jun 2020 at 16:19
Just got a date to restart my radiotherapy, had a psa and it gone from 162 to 44 so I hope that's good.

Feeling fine but nervous

User
Posted 12 Jun 2020 at 16:50

Staying on the HT while your PSA is dropping rapidly may even be a good thing.

Long before COVID, I deliberately delayed my RT to get my PSA lower at the start.

If your PSA stops going down, then you really want to get your RT ASAP.

User
Posted 12 Jun 2020 at 17:03

Thanks Andy,

Its spread to my lymphs also but locally so hopefully the radiotherapy will help with that

User
Posted 14 Jun 2020 at 18:23

If it's local spread to lymph nodes, they will probably treat prostate and pelvic lymph nodes (and seminal vesicles, or at least my place did).

User
Posted 30 Jun 2020 at 17:30

At last I've got my radiotherapy planning scan tomorrow, not sure why but I feel nervous.have been dri king 2lts of water each day and am now worried about drowning.i then have to wait 4 weeks until it starts then 37 times and I have to travel about an hour each way so not looking forward to it.