Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

How soon

User
Posted 26 Mar 2020 at 17:06

Hi

I'm now 4 weeks post radical robotic prostatectomy, my bladder seems to behaving it self, no incontinence as such, maybe a little dribble if I stand to long or I'm out walking but this is minimal and the little pad I wear sorts this out no problem.

I see my surgeon on 20th of April to see if surgery was a success. My cancer was not contained so had nerves removed and lymph nodes, although there are no signs of me getting an erection, I'm feeling like I need one lol, will my surgeon have a look at helping me regain my erection by whatever means or is it to soon?

Thanks on advance

Chris

User
Posted 27 Mar 2020 at 05:37

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

It is very early days for you. Remember you have had major surgery and it will take a while for your body to recover. If it is still a problem you will be referred to the ED clinic. Just give it time. What is more important an erection or your life ?

Best wishes

Gary.

[/quote

I do hate  quotes like that. To many men their loss of erection can consume their lives and / or their wive’s. I’ve been on this forum long enough to know how devastating it can be ( me included ) and can make that life not worth living anymore. We are all different right. 
Chris at your meeting you need to ask for a mechanical pump and referral to an ED recovery clinic. If you don’t get offered a pump then buy a professional one at around £200. Use it for the rest of your life to keep him healthy or you will lose his flexibility. It can be used for practice or penetration. Tadalafil daily will help with blood flow and recovery but you won’t get erections with these tablets due to non nerve sparing ok. When you are ready , your very best way forward is to self inject your penis with either Cavernect or Invicorp. It’s not as difficult to do as you think. In the meantime orgasms can be had with a totally soft penis via oral or lubed hands. Plenty of fun still to be had in the bedroom. Go look in an adult web shop with your partner. Good luck 

User
Posted 26 Mar 2020 at 20:54
Chris, if the nerves on both sides were removed during surgery you won't be getting "unassisted" erections again, although of course you'll be able to use mechanical aids such as a pump.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 27 Mar 2020 at 07:49

Chris1965

I describe myself as "supposedly" non nerve sparing. My op was non nerve sparing, but a few weeks post op I was getting stirrings and some tumescence of the penis. A very small percentage of non nerve sparing men report recovery, logic says if there are no nerves nothing will work, it was suggested to me that the nerves are not always in the same place or the network of nerves finds a solution. 

I did show some promising signs of recovery but never achieved a full erection. It is often said that if nothing has improved two years post op that it never will, six years on things are still improving. You can have exquisite intercourse without a full erection, look up flaccid insertion, but wait until your body has healed.

Finding a solution to the problem can be fun, don't close your mind to any of the treatments offered and don't be to quick to give up if something doesn't work. 

All the best with your recovery.

Thanks Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Mar 2020 at 20:14

It is very early days for you. Remember you have had major surgery and it will take a while for your body to recover. If it is still a problem you will be referred to the ED clinic. Just give it time. What is more important an erection or your life ?

Best wishes

Gary.

Edited by member 26 Mar 2020 at 20:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Mar 2020 at 20:54
Chris, if the nerves on both sides were removed during surgery you won't be getting "unassisted" erections again, although of course you'll be able to use mechanical aids such as a pump.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 27 Mar 2020 at 05:37

Best wishes

Gary.

[/quote

I do hate  quotes like that. To many men their loss of erection can consume their lives and / or their wive’s. I’ve been on this forum long enough to know how devastating it can be ( me included ) and can make that life not worth living anymore. We are all different right. 
Chris at your meeting you need to ask for a mechanical pump and referral to an ED recovery clinic. If you don’t get offered a pump then buy a professional one at around £200. Use it for the rest of your life to keep him healthy or you will lose his flexibility. It can be used for practice or penetration. Tadalafil daily will help with blood flow and recovery but you won’t get erections with these tablets due to non nerve sparing ok. When you are ready , your very best way forward is to self inject your penis with either Cavernect or Invicorp. It’s not as difficult to do as you think. In the meantime orgasms can be had with a totally soft penis via oral or lubed hands. Plenty of fun still to be had in the bedroom. Go look in an adult web shop with your partner. Good luck 

User
Posted 27 Mar 2020 at 07:49

Chris1965

I describe myself as "supposedly" non nerve sparing. My op was non nerve sparing, but a few weeks post op I was getting stirrings and some tumescence of the penis. A very small percentage of non nerve sparing men report recovery, logic says if there are no nerves nothing will work, it was suggested to me that the nerves are not always in the same place or the network of nerves finds a solution. 

I did show some promising signs of recovery but never achieved a full erection. It is often said that if nothing has improved two years post op that it never will, six years on things are still improving. You can have exquisite intercourse without a full erection, look up flaccid insertion, but wait until your body has healed.

Finding a solution to the problem can be fun, don't close your mind to any of the treatments offered and don't be to quick to give up if something doesn't work. 

All the best with your recovery.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 17 May 2020 at 19:32

knodel,

This question isn't related to this conversation. You should have started a new conversation. If you do that and delete your post here, I'll move my response to the correct conversation.

He should be using the pump anyway, because he should be making sure he has regular erections and that may be the only way at the moment. For this exercise, don't use constriction rings. Pump up for 10 mins daily, or 15 mins every other day. It's better if the duration is made up of several pump ups and downs, rather than just one long one.

I can't think of any harm pumping up with an event dose PDE5 inhibitor, and I think some people do use a pump in this situation to get started. I would be a bit more concerned about putting a constriction ring on a penis which is already hard - don't know if that's a good idea or not, but I would think it's fine if the PDE5 inhibitor didn't make you hard and the ring can shrink to its intended size.

Edited by member 17 May 2020 at 19:34  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 May 2020 at 23:30

Best wishes,

Chris

Chris .. 

Can you clarify unassisted please.  I was non nerve sparing and get night erections.  Took us 3 yrs post op.  No meds , no rings and thinking of putting pump on eBay,  or in  the recycling box... now 5 yrs and still improving.

Lots of very useful advice on here.

Gordon.

User
Posted 18 May 2020 at 00:21
'Unassisted' means without a pump or injections.

The data suggests that men who have nerve sparing have up to 90% chance of recovering erections, with or without assistance. For men who had the nerves spared on one side, this drops to about 55% and for men who had non nerve sparing it was thought to be between 0 - 5% although a piece of recent research found that up to 13% of men under the age of 60 with good erectile function before the op regained erections even with both nerve bundles removed. In theory, if your nerves have been removed there is no physiological mechanism for an erection so the most recent thinking is that either tiny amounts of nerves are left behind and are able to regenerate or there is another mechanism apart from the nerve bundles which a small number of men are able to harness.

Whatever the explanation, you are a very luck man :-)

If you are seriously thinking about getting rid of the pump, why not put it away until someone here really needs one and can't get it from their NHS trust? I posted John's to a particularly fraught couple in Ireland after a conversation on here when their doctors refused.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard