Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Penile strictures

User
Posted 27 Mar 2020 at 14:08

Hi guys 

Ive had a terrible month with urinary retention 3 trips to A n E each time they were unable to catheterise me.

Had a call from consultant on Monday to say he was not happy at all with the lack of treatment and asked me to go into hospital yesterday.

I had a camera down my urethra and the neck of my bladder is badly scarred.

He used 5 different sizes of rods to try and dilate me which was successful I'm glad to say.

I've now got a catheter in for the next 4 months.

As anyone else had this problem and how did you deal with it?

He did say it was unusual to have this problem after 9 months.

Tia 

Garry 

User
Posted 27 Mar 2020 at 19:13

Bill

I had three experiences of retention. The first was being brought round after a failed dilation, after waiting for a radiologist to locate the bladder a large needle was inserted through the abdominal wall and into the bladder. A catheter was then inserted, that is a suprapubic catheter.

The second occasion they tried with a catheter, then a camera and guide wire, they couldn't get the catheter in but it did enough to get the flow working. 

Three days later I was back in urology and they used the camera, guide wire and full dilation to get the catheter in, all without any anesthetic. Not in my top 10 of things to repeat but carried by a brilliant urologist without to much discomfort.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 28 Mar 2020 at 08:16
Thanks Chris, although it sounds very unpleasant I prefer knowing what to expect.

Cheers
Bill
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Mar 2020 at 14:38

Garry

My urethral stricture started to cause problems within three months of RARP. My surgeon is convinced it was caused by trauma when my catheter was removed.

I have about a dozen dilations and ok a couple of occasions had a small incision into the scar tissue. 

I did self dilation in between dilations in an attempt to keep the stricture open. Typically two or three dilations are quoted as being necessary to sort the problem. 

Four months seems a long time for the catheter, are you sure it is not 4 weeks. Under nice guidelines the catheter will need changing after 12 or 13 weeks. Have you got some instilagel or hydrocaine to ease any discomfort in the eye of the penis.

My flow rate at times got down to 0.5mls per second. I was going to have urethral reconstruction but other problems meant it was not practical. 

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 27 Mar 2020 at 15:53  | Reason: Catheter care

User
Posted 27 Mar 2020 at 17:42

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi guys 

Ive had a terrible month with urinary retention 3 trips to A n E each time they were unable to catheterise me.

Hi Garry sorry to hear of your issues.

What do they do if they can't catheterrise you?

I imagine it was pretty awful having them trying to the point of failure.

The reason I ask is I'm waiting for a dilation. Pre op check up is end of next month but will probably be cancelled now I think. My flow is down to about 3ml/sec but that is max. Most of the voiding is kind of squirt and push. Only a matter of time before full retention I think.

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 27 Mar 2020 at 19:13

Bill

I had three experiences of retention. The first was being brought round after a failed dilation, after waiting for a radiologist to locate the bladder a large needle was inserted through the abdominal wall and into the bladder. A catheter was then inserted, that is a suprapubic catheter.

The second occasion they tried with a catheter, then a camera and guide wire, they couldn't get the catheter in but it did enough to get the flow working. 

Three days later I was back in urology and they used the camera, guide wire and full dilation to get the catheter in, all without any anesthetic. Not in my top 10 of things to repeat but carried by a brilliant urologist without to much discomfort.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 28 Mar 2020 at 08:16
Thanks Chris, although it sounds very unpleasant I prefer knowing what to expect.

Cheers
Bill
User
Posted 28 Mar 2020 at 09:56

Hi Garry,

My stricture developed @14 months after RALP.  This was treated by optical urethrotomy but it returned about a year later. Whilst waiting for another urethrotomy, I went into retention and boy, was that painful.

Anyway, after an emergency urethrotomy the surgeon said this was likely to happen again and again and I was offered the choice of self-cathertisation (to keep the urethra open) or urethroplasty (where they basically rebuild that bit of the urethra with the stricture).

I chose the former and for me it's now a happy medium of self-cathertising once a week and achieving a reasonable flow.

You may well be offered the same choice.

Flexi

Edited by member 28 Mar 2020 at 09:57  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Mar 2020 at 11:38

Hi Chris 

Definitely 4 months supplies ordered along with a night stand.

Care at home team are coming in to learn me how to self dilate and self catheterise.

I have not been given anything for the soreness as of yet.

Cheers 

Garry 

User
Posted 28 Mar 2020 at 11:43

Hi bill

They tried different catheters one I think was called a teemans.

Each time I was in A n E they managed to open me up enough to pass urine talk about winning the lottery 😅

But that only lasts a few days and then it starts again.

Cheers 

Garry 

User
Posted 28 Mar 2020 at 13:39

Garry

Assuming you or someone in your household can get out in the current situation, instilagel is available at most chemists, a couple of pounds per syringe. The syringe is "supposed" to be one use then throw away. 

I assume you have got a urethral catheter, (in the penis). Just a bit confused on when you will be taught ISD or ISC.

Thanks Chris