Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Frequent overnight urination after radical prostatectomy

User
Posted 27 Mar 2020 at 23:44

Hello, 
I am writing on behalf of my father who had a radical prostatectomy a month ago. He’s recovered very well and had his catheter removed almost two weeks ago. 

However, he has said that he has needed to urinate overnight every half an hour or so. I asked if he had any symptoms of a urinary tract infection but apart from a few specks of dry blood a week ago nothing untoward was noticed. 

I’ve asked him to contact the hospital where he had the procedure for advice but I thought I’d check on here too please to see if somebody has been through something similar etc 

Thank you 

User
Posted 28 Mar 2020 at 01:35
He may be waking himself up because he is subconsciously concerned about wetting the bed, plus the nerves that control the bladder have been burnt, cut and bashed so they may be sending muddled messages to his brain. Has he tried going back to sleep?

Is he dry during the day - if so, that's amazing progress.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 28 Mar 2020 at 12:21
Sounds fine for this stage - his brain is still relearning how to control his bladder
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 28 Mar 2020 at 13:02

Yes, I had my procedure done almost 3 years now. I recall very well that it to took a few months for me to have relatively control. Have your father practice at holding on urinating as long as possible, that was my advice from my doctor, and it seemed to help, although, I continue to have a very small amount of urinatiion, only requiring me to change my under garment, sometimes twice a day.. Good luck to your father in beating this. And thank you for caring., I hope my message helps. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Mar 2020 at 01:35
He may be waking himself up because he is subconsciously concerned about wetting the bed, plus the nerves that control the bladder have been burnt, cut and bashed so they may be sending muddled messages to his brain. Has he tried going back to sleep?

Is he dry during the day - if so, that's amazing progress.
User
Posted 28 Mar 2020 at 11:04

Thank you for your reply 

He says that he goes maybe 4/5 times during the day but is able to control it more during the day but still needs pads. 

User
Posted 28 Mar 2020 at 12:21
Sounds fine for this stage - his brain is still relearning how to control his bladder
User
Posted 28 Mar 2020 at 13:02

Yes, I had my procedure done almost 3 years now. I recall very well that it to took a few months for me to have relatively control. Have your father practice at holding on urinating as long as possible, that was my advice from my doctor, and it seemed to help, although, I continue to have a very small amount of urinatiion, only requiring me to change my under garment, sometimes twice a day.. Good luck to your father in beating this. And thank you for caring., I hope my message helps. 

User
Posted 29 Mar 2020 at 00:02

Thank you so much for your reply, I think it helps him hearing it from somebody who has been / is going through it. Good luck with your journey too.