I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

2nd attempt in removing cancer.

User
Posted 28 Mar 2020 at 12:52

I’ve undergone a radical prostatectomy in June 2017. In late 2018 my PSA has begun elevating. Kept with my regular 3 month checkups, and as of now, March 2020, I had to begin hormonal therapy. I’m scheduled a PET scan next month, in hopes to find and eventually take out the cancer. Quest for my brothers and family members .. Has any of you heard of anyone undergoing a second go at removing our unwanted guest ? 

User
Posted 28 Mar 2020 at 15:31

RC

Lots of us here in the UK have salvage RT with or without HT if the PSA rises after primary surgery. I don't recall seeing anyone on here who has had repeat surgery. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 28 Mar 2020 at 15:37

Welcome to the PCUK community. Sorry to read you are dealing with recurrence of prostate cancer.

I discussed removal of any remaining cancer but this was rejected As being too difficult and risky. I had an mpMRI followed by an F18 choline PET scan to identify hot spots.
Are your doctors saying this is possible? 

I’m a bit surprised that you are starting HT before the PET scan as the cancer will shrink whilst on HT.

My oncologist wouldn’t start me on HT until the scans were completed.

I had a radical laparoscopic prostatectomy in July 2015 with recurrence in 2016. I ended upon HT for 2 years three months or so plus radical salvage radiotherapy March/April 2017. I finished HT last April(2019).
All the best,

Ido4

User
Posted 29 Mar 2020 at 07:15

Thanks, Ido4. I couldn’t agree with you more, it doesn’t make much sense to have me on HT, if I hopes to find and eradicate this dreadful disease. I’ve only taken two doses. I think I will put HT on hold until after the PET scan. It’s only two weeks.  As I’m sure you already well know, I want this thing found and hopefully removed. I pray.,   Thank you for your reply, and may God be with you. 

User
Posted 29 Mar 2020 at 12:25

Then maybe I might just be our first. Thanks, Chris. 

User
Posted 29 Mar 2020 at 13:22

Hi, RC Elliott my partner underwent a radical prostatectomy in 2017, by September 2019 there were indications that the cancer had made a return following rises in his psa and bone pain he underwent a bone scan in September which came back clear, a further CT scan in December, however, showed an enlarged lymph gland in his pelvis which resulted in his oncologist at The Christie Hospital requesting he have a psma pet scan which he had in January 2020.  On the 18th February, we were told by the oncologist that the psma pet scan showed there were 20 lymph nodes from his pelvis to his shoulder showing signs of cancer spread and he would need to start hormone treatment immediately which he did on Thursday 20th February we are hoping he will still be able to have his first psa test test this week since starting the HT and that we will see a drop fingers crossed. :) 

Some days you just have to create your own sunshine...... 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Mar 2020 at 15:31

RC

Lots of us here in the UK have salvage RT with or without HT if the PSA rises after primary surgery. I don't recall seeing anyone on here who has had repeat surgery. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 28 Mar 2020 at 15:37

Welcome to the PCUK community. Sorry to read you are dealing with recurrence of prostate cancer.

I discussed removal of any remaining cancer but this was rejected As being too difficult and risky. I had an mpMRI followed by an F18 choline PET scan to identify hot spots.
Are your doctors saying this is possible? 

I’m a bit surprised that you are starting HT before the PET scan as the cancer will shrink whilst on HT.

My oncologist wouldn’t start me on HT until the scans were completed.

I had a radical laparoscopic prostatectomy in July 2015 with recurrence in 2016. I ended upon HT for 2 years three months or so plus radical salvage radiotherapy March/April 2017. I finished HT last April(2019).
All the best,

Ido4

User
Posted 29 Mar 2020 at 07:15

Thanks, Ido4. I couldn’t agree with you more, it doesn’t make much sense to have me on HT, if I hopes to find and eradicate this dreadful disease. I’ve only taken two doses. I think I will put HT on hold until after the PET scan. It’s only two weeks.  As I’m sure you already well know, I want this thing found and hopefully removed. I pray.,   Thank you for your reply, and may God be with you. 

User
Posted 29 Mar 2020 at 12:25

Then maybe I might just be our first. Thanks, Chris. 

User
Posted 29 Mar 2020 at 13:22

Hi, RC Elliott my partner underwent a radical prostatectomy in 2017, by September 2019 there were indications that the cancer had made a return following rises in his psa and bone pain he underwent a bone scan in September which came back clear, a further CT scan in December, however, showed an enlarged lymph gland in his pelvis which resulted in his oncologist at The Christie Hospital requesting he have a psma pet scan which he had in January 2020.  On the 18th February, we were told by the oncologist that the psma pet scan showed there were 20 lymph nodes from his pelvis to his shoulder showing signs of cancer spread and he would need to start hormone treatment immediately which he did on Thursday 20th February we are hoping he will still be able to have his first psa test test this week since starting the HT and that we will see a drop fingers crossed. :) 

Some days you just have to create your own sunshine...... 

User
Posted 30 Mar 2020 at 13:07

Thank you for your reply, Andrew.     Speaking to my doctor after he did the radical prostatectomy, he said that the C had grew outside my prostate and invaded the seminal vessel and one of my lymph nodes, they were subsequently removed as well.     Just a note ; Because of the finding of the C’s progression during the surgery, my doctor stated that ordinarily if he had known, the surgery wouldn’t have been performed. And this is at one of our more high tech hospitals (USC) here in California. Now, post surgery, I undergone 3 months of radiation therapy.  My PSA was on check every 3 months with “0” being indicated in each test result. From mid 2018 to present, levels were found to be elevating, ever so quicker— . .04, .09, .17, .34, 1.2, and just last week, 4.669. I think the jump from the previous level taken 3 months ago, caught my oncologist off guard, ordering immediate HT treatments.  After taken just two doses, I’ve stopped taking the HT pills in hopes that it’s found in this upcoming PET scan and I do get this one more chance in removing it.  Besides, those first side affects of HT,  I’m not going to miss, loose bowels.. lol               RC______.                                               I like that — "I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx..   Thanks. 

Edited by member 30 Mar 2020 at 13:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Mar 2020 at 14:25

RC

Might help to give more details of the RT treatment you had and when.  

Thanks Chris