I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My father’s prostate cancer journey

User
Posted 29 Mar 2020 at 21:45

It’s my pleasure to be here. Much thanks. I am from Kenya, East Africa. 

I lost my father to prostate cancer on 18 February 2020 following a four-year period since he was diagnosed (June 2016)

My father was already at 9/10 in 2016. The diagnosis was reached after he suffered blockage on his urine system. He had not passed urine for some time and we did not know what was happening till he was taken ill unconscious.

He had a minor operation for catheter installation so as to allow urine passage. This was on for three months with monthly changes. His Doctor, a very professional urologist and surgeon recommended major operation in September 2016 to reconstruct the urine passage through removal of the enlarged prostate as the scans showed.

The surgery was very successful and it was then that the tissues from the prostate were taken for screening only to come back with the bad news - 9/10 cancer (5 for the inner core screens and 4 for the outer core). PSA them was >700ng/mL

He was put on a quarterly Zoladex injection and his response was remarkable with decreasing  PSA to as low as 28ng/mL over a four year remission period — between 2016 and September 2019. 

We noticed that he started complaining of back and neck pains. He also complained of pains around the pelvic joints, especially the left side.

The PSA levels increased to >400ng/mL in the September - December 2019 period. The pains also worsened. 

He was taken ill again in January 2020 with re-occurrence of blocked urinal system. The doctor did the minor surgery to instal the catheter but dad got worse and he was not getting out of bed. He had lost appetite and eating was a problem because his stomach had blocked for some time. 

At some point he was put on the NG pipe for removing the stomach waste and subsequent feeding. 

It was at this point that I developed much interest in reading more about prostate cancer. I really appreciate the information I got on this website - especially regarding signs of advanced prostate cancer.

My dad continued in pain and he was unable to start on the second line of treatment recommended by the doctor. His pain escalated and we was literally crying out loud all day and night. 

We had him discharged from hospital for admission at a hospice but he passed on the same night. 

I am writing to thank all the people behind compiling of very useful information on this website. I was able to know and understand what my father was going through. Much thanks! God bless you. 

Prostate cancer is painful. I am sure dad is happy with the Lord.

User
Posted 30 Mar 2020 at 20:00

Hi Paul,

Sorry about the loss of your dad. You are right that there is some great information on this website and at least you can understand what has happened, even though sadly we can't change things. The more people talk about this disease the more chance of men with mild symptoms realising that it is probably worth getting tested.

Good luck

Dave

User
Posted 30 Mar 2020 at 20:29

Dear Dave,

Sure! The information is awesome. Early testing/screening for ages >40yrs remains critical annually - especially first degree sons like myself. 

Much thanks

Paul 

User
Posted 30 Mar 2020 at 20:48

I am so sorry for your recent loss. Prostate cancer is so different for every individual and I am so sorry your Dad suffered so much. Take care of yourself at this sad time

Edited by member 31 Mar 2020 at 21:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Mar 2020 at 21:05

Good evening,

Sure! Much thanks