I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Getting access to PSA Tests

User
Posted 01 Apr 2020 at 16:42

How do I go about getting access to my PSA test. Currently I ring Oncology about 3 days after the test so I'm aware when I see my Oncologist I'm up to speed before I go in.

I have access to my GP patient record but there's nothing on it worth reading.

Anyone help?

User
Posted 02 Apr 2020 at 05:31

I did have to ask to get access to my medical records. By default, only a very small subset were visible, which didn't include test results. I justified it to the practice manager by saying I otherwise had to book a GP appointment to get all my blood test results each time, which seeing as I was going through cancer treatment, was quite frequent. They leapt at the opportunity to reduce booking appointments.

User
Posted 02 Apr 2020 at 18:27

Andrew

I can't find where I read it, but I thought I had seen a lab procedure that said a PSA blood test should be processed within two hours of receipt or frozen for later testing  if this cannot be achieved.

Our GP receptionist kept telling me to ring the next day, in fact at 17.00 she told me to keep ringing up until 19.00, I suspect she was telling me that because the result was already on their system but the GP had not reviewed it. The onco nurse confirmed that the result was available the day after the test.

This was all before the current crisis.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 03 Apr 2020 at 11:13

Hi everyone, happy news just been told his PSA result was back and that it has dropped from 10 to 1.3 so the Bicalutamide is definitely doing its job.  :) 

Some days you just have to create your own sunshine...... 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Apr 2020 at 21:22

This varies by area.

I tend to get mine from my GP practice, because I have online access to my GP records, so I can see it when the result comes in, which is usually half a day later (same day if I do blood test in morning).

If I get it from the hospital, I have to call and ask the CNS, and I'm not sure they're still around (redeployed to covid-19), so I ignore the hospital blood test forms and get one from my GP.

I did once edit the hospital form and added my GP as a secondary report, and that worked, and it appeared in my GP record. Neither the hospital nor GP can see any blood test result they didn't order, unless they are filled in as a secondary report. Once I had blood test forms from both of them for different things, and just a single phile of blood was collected, but they each only got the result for the tests they asked for.

User
Posted 01 Apr 2020 at 23:01
One of the problems in testing for the C virus is said to be insufficient lab testing capability but there have also been conflicting reports that not all capability available is being used. If the former is correct it could delay PSA tests/results. Perhaps members could report if they experience this.
Barry
User
Posted 02 Apr 2020 at 00:39

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I have access to my GP patient record but there's nothing on it worth reading.

Anyone help?

My gp online service is pretty good, but it was a two stage setup process, first was password and get online for some fairly elementary service, but second was asking for my medical records to be made available online, that opened up a whole new world. Have you got your medical records available online, or just some stuff like repeat prescriptions and appointments?

Agree with Andy that if you have medical records setup you only see what your doctor ordered not what the hospital ordered. 

Dave

User
Posted 02 Apr 2020 at 05:31

I did have to ask to get access to my medical records. By default, only a very small subset were visible, which didn't include test results. I justified it to the practice manager by saying I otherwise had to book a GP appointment to get all my blood test results each time, which seeing as I was going through cancer treatment, was quite frequent. They leapt at the opportunity to reduce booking appointments.

User
Posted 02 Apr 2020 at 09:19

My PSA test should of been done on Wednesday, but my GP surgery rang to say it was cancelled and did not know when it would be done...have an appointment with Urologist beginning of May so hopefully I can get it done before then..

User
Posted 02 Apr 2020 at 11:43

Hi

I prefer to have my PSA result before my appointments, it gives me time to get my head round the rise or fall.

At my last blood test I had two forms, one from the GP and one from oncology that included testosterone.  I asked the phlebotomy nurse to use the GP form for PSA and the onco one for testosterone. She took two vials of blood and sent them both off. It took over a week of phone calls too get anything from the GP and that was a text message saying it had risen.

I now have an arrangement with my onco nurse, I will have the blood test a few days before my oncology telephone appointment.  Then next day I will send the nurse a text message saying I have had the blood test,  the next day  she will send me the result by text and then we will have the telephone appointment as arranged. 

Of course all the above was before the covid problem so it will no doubt all change. 

The two tests came back with a 0.01 difference between them.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 02 Apr 2020 at 14:59

Hi,

Would results of PSA normally be in within 24 hours ? My partner had his done this morning six weeks after starting Bicalutamide, so we are obviously anxious to see if there has been any change. I guess like many other things at the moment it may be delayed by the Covid19... 

User
Posted 02 Apr 2020 at 16:17

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi,

Would results of PSA normally be in within 24 hours ? 

I am just under six years post op and generally have got my PSA result within 2 days of testing. On one occasion I got it within 2 hours. I doubt that will be happening during the current crisis .

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 02 Apr 2020 at 18:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Apr 2020 at 16:52
It does depend where you get the test done. Thus far, when I’ve had my PSA tests (I get them done at my GP’s) the results have always come back within a day. I don’t know how the current situation will affect that; I’ll find out when I have my next test in about 3 weeks’ time!

Chris

User
Posted 02 Apr 2020 at 18:27

Andrew

I can't find where I read it, but I thought I had seen a lab procedure that said a PSA blood test should be processed within two hours of receipt or frozen for later testing  if this cannot be achieved.

Our GP receptionist kept telling me to ring the next day, in fact at 17.00 she told me to keep ringing up until 19.00, I suspect she was telling me that because the result was already on their system but the GP had not reviewed it. The onco nurse confirmed that the result was available the day after the test.

This was all before the current crisis.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 02 Apr 2020 at 18:55
I had my PSA test last Monday morning at my local chemist and the result; <0.1 undetectable, appeared on my iPad Patient Access app mid-morning the day after.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 03 Apr 2020 at 00:09

Thanks everyone ... it was done at GP’s and the nurse said she thought it would go to urologist so not sure when we will hear, i have suggested we call GP after the weekend see if theres anything back. I guess with things the way they are it is anyones guess 🙂

User
Posted 03 Apr 2020 at 11:13

Hi everyone, happy news just been told his PSA result was back and that it has dropped from 10 to 1.3 so the Bicalutamide is definitely doing its job.  :) 

User
Posted 03 Apr 2020 at 12:46

Annie

Great news.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 03 Apr 2020 at 13:58

I am on the "Tracker". My test is due next week at the GP. Then I get sent a result letter from the Hospital Urology Dept. I think I shall postpone it a few weeks rather than going to the Surgery "as a non - emergency". Hopefully in a few weeks when all this CV stuff has died down I will ring to see the Nurse for my test at the Surgery.

User
Posted 04 Apr 2020 at 11:03

Just on PSA tests (and this predates the lockdown) I got a letter from my Oncologist in early March offering me an appointment on the 15th of April. No blood form in the letter. I then had one of those conversations that makes you doubt your own sanity. I phoned the Oncologist's office up querying that there was no form for a PSA blood test. She told me that they never, ever, sent out these forms - indeed they didn't have any such form on the premises unless it was for a test at Clatterbridge itself. I told her that I had received forms from Clatterbridge on several previous occasions but she said that that was completely  impossible and that I must have been mistaken.

Really weird. She was so adamant that I didn't pursue the matter further. On reflection I realized that my last 3 PSA blood tests had preceded calls from the  advanced Nurse Practioner. Before each appointment I had received a form, for Warrington Hospital from the Nurse Practitioner on Clatterbridge headed notepaper!!

Left Hand/Right Hand springs to mind. Our NHS is wonderful but the admin frequently falls short.

Edited by member 04 Apr 2020 at 11:05  | Reason: Not specified