I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA testing in current climate

User
Posted 03 Apr 2020 at 14:49

I'm due my first appointment with the oncologist following my SABR treatment which ended on 6th March (I am also on Hormone Therapy - bicalutamide - until Jan 2022) on 15th April. I'd be surprised if this goes ahead in the current climate and suspect it will be a phone chat instead.

At about that time I would expect to have my PSA tested to see how the treatment is going thus far.

Is PSA testing still being done? I normally go to Warrington General Hospital for these but that would seem unnecessarily risky in the current climate both to me but especially to the staff.

User
Posted 04 Apr 2020 at 10:49

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just wait and see. In the great scheme of things it's unlikely that my ongoing treatment would change regardless of the PSA score given it's only a month since the SABR treatment ended. I have been going, exclusively, to the drop in centre for blood tests at my local hospital thus far.

User
Posted 24 Apr 2020 at 22:07

Hi All, 

Just letting you know I had a psa test at GP surgery today. I booked it on Monday they said they were keeping tests to a minimum so screening tests would be out of the question, but monitoring existing cancer patients met the criteria. Hand gel and mask on for me in the waiting room, I was the only person there. Nurse was in mask gown and gloves, she said it's a bit harder finding a vein with gloves on. Anyway all done in about five minutes. Results due next week. 

Dave

User
Posted 25 Apr 2020 at 07:48
I have had a persistent productive cough for about eight weeks, so it’s not the plague!

After a telephone consultation on Thursday with my GP just up the road (I said it’s a shame your stethoscope hasn’t got a longer tube 😂), he referred me for a blood test and a chest X-ray.

I booked a phlebotomy appointment at my local chemist’s at 07.40 yesterday, and I should have the results on my iPad later this morning. The radiology department at the hospital said ‘We are not accepting walk-ins now, only fractures, so we will have to send you an appointment’.

‘How long will that take?’

‘Should be within the next six weeks’

So some parts of the NHS are working fine, others not so much. Anyone see the unoccupied A & E’s, empty wards, deserted Nightingale Hospitals, and operating theatres used for bed storage? My father-in-law, in agony with a hip problem, had his orthopaedic appointment last week cancelled indefinitely. ‘Some days the pain is so bad I wish I was dead’ he told me.

I wonder if too much has been sacrificed on the altar of Covid 19, when the government admit in the absence of a vaccine, up to 80% of us will contract it eventually!

Cheers, John.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Apr 2020 at 05:39
I went for a blood PSA test at my local chemist last week and had the excellent result the next day.

I took my father-in-law to his doctor’s this week for a blood test, so the answer to your question is yes.

In this area, once we have a blood test form, there are dozens of places to get one done, from chemist’s, to some surgeries, to the drop-in centre and the hospital itself.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 04 Apr 2020 at 08:49

Great to know as mine is due first week of May. Have a good weekend TG

User
Posted 04 Apr 2020 at 10:49

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just wait and see. In the great scheme of things it's unlikely that my ongoing treatment would change regardless of the PSA score given it's only a month since the SABR treatment ended. I have been going, exclusively, to the drop in centre for blood tests at my local hospital thus far.

User
Posted 04 Apr 2020 at 11:56
I also have my oncology appointments at Warrington General Hospital, Pete, at the clinic Clatterbridge holds there on a Wednesday morning. My next appointment is 13th May and thus far at least I've not been asked not to come. I always get my PSA tests done at my GP's surgery, not the hospital.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 04 Apr 2020 at 16:16

Pete my partner was due his first PSA six weeks after starting Bicalutamide, first the GP receptionist said they weren't doing any bloods etc but then when he explained what it was and why she went away and asked and they rang to say go in on Thursday for it we got the results back yesterday so maybe give your GP a ring :) 

Some days you just have to create your own sunshine...... 

User
Posted 09 Apr 2020 at 19:50

Hi I had my first psa test last week my gp did it as it was not a routine test

User
Posted 09 Apr 2020 at 22:18

I had my PSA test this morning at my GP’s and got the results back this evening! I’ve been advised that the consultation with my oncologist will be on the phone.

Chris

User
Posted 16 Apr 2020 at 14:32

Had my telephone consultation with the oncologist yesterday. I was able to tell her that the side effects from the SABR treatment were almost nil. On the bicalutamide, the main side effect is weariness. I am having fewer hot flushed than my previous experience.

So - PSA test - I am not having one until August.

User
Posted 16 Apr 2020 at 18:40

I need a test before my 3 monthly routine phone call with my Oncologist due in May. I'm thinking of using Let's Get Checked: https://www.letsgetchecked.com/gb/en/  to avoid going into the surgery. Any thoughts? It's £69 but there's a 25% discount available for the first one. 

User
Posted 16 Apr 2020 at 22:13
The problem with going to an external provider is that you won't be able to make a direct comparison with your previous PSA tests so it would be 3 or 6 months before you had a reliable trend again.

Have you spoken to the surgery? I am not sure what your main concern is but John is having his PSA bloods taken tomorrow morning and has been told to turn up at his appointment time but remain in the car park and the nurse will come out to him. She will be wearing PPE. Others here have mentioned that their PSA bloods will be taken at home by a district nurse. When John attended the GP practice a couple of weeks ago, they had a 'one patient in the waiting room at a time' system in place.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Apr 2020 at 04:14

When I took my Father-in-law for his blood test about two weeks ago, he did not have the convenience of nipping to the local chemist like me (at an appointed time - 07.30, as soon as they opened), but went to his surgery instead. We waited outside, then were admitted by someone in full PPE, had our temperatures checked, and told to wash our hands before seeing the nurse.

He is still waiting for his result. I asked his GP how many of his patients had caught the plague, bearing in mind a thirteen-year old had contracted it in his catchment area and was big news in the local press. The GP said he had no idea, as he had had no feedback at all.

Which was a bit like when I asked my mate, an Immigration Appeals Tribunal Judge whether he knew when failed asylum seekers whose appeal he had denied were actually deported. “They never tell us”, he said.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 17 Apr 2020 at 07:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Apr 2020 at 13:45
Why on Earth is it taking so long to get the result, John? Mine always comes back in 24h or less!

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 17 Apr 2020 at 16:08
Perhaps that particular path lab is also doing all COVID testing for the region?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Apr 2020 at 04:04

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Why on Earth is it taking so long to get the result, John? Mine always comes back in 24h or less!

Best wishes,

Chris

The lab is the same one used for my blood tests and I get the results next day, so I’m sure his Doctor has them, but the Doc is probably waiting for the results of a sh1t-on-a-stick stool test before he rings Dad-in-law to tell him what’s what.

Incidentally, Dad is 87 with an enlarged prostate and nocturia (7 times a night without tablets, reduced to 3-4 times with Tamulosin and now Finasteride as well [at my suggestion]), so I asked his GP what his PSA was. Eleven - not off the scale for a man of his age. So I then asked what his previous PSA readings were, and the GP seemed almost embarrassed when he said that that was the ONLY test he’s ever had, from February this year! I suggested a referral to Urology and Doctor concurred. How do these old folk cope if they go on their own?

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 18 Apr 2020 at 04:57

In some areas, GP's refuse diagnostic PSA tests to anyone over 70. (This is pre-coronavirus.) The only way they could get one was via a free Lions PSA testing event, but most of those will only go up to age 80. In most cases, 80+ year olds with newly discovered prostate cancer won't die from it even if untreated, but really that should be determined from state of health and expected longevity, not absolute age.

Note that Finasteride halves PSA levels, so if he'd been on that when the PSA test was done, you have to double the result for diagnostic purposes.

Edited by member 18 Apr 2020 at 05:00  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Apr 2020 at 12:04
TBH Bollinge, at 87 I think he is better off not having any further assessment / diagnostics. Stan would have been much better not being diagnosed at 79 as it took the shine off his last few years.

User
Posted 18 Apr 2020 at 15:36

TBH Bollinge, at 87 I think he is better off not having any further assessment / diagnostics. Stan would have been much better not being diagnosed at 79 as it took the shine off his last few years.

I wonder if John has BPH rather than PCa and might benefit from a Green Laser TURP procedure (overnight stay in hospital) such as a friend of ours aged 70 has just had. He says he’s now ‘pissing like a horse’ and his erections are as good as they were........he just doesn’t say when that was! 😂😂😂

At least if he eventually gets a urology appointment he will have an idea of what his options are, rather than relying on the GP.

User
Posted 19 Apr 2020 at 11:35

The problem with going to an external provider is that you won't be able to make a direct comparison with your previous PSA tests so it would be 3 or 6 months before you had a reliable trend again.

Have you spoken to the surgery? I am not sure what your main concern is but John is having his PSA bloods taken tomorrow morning and has been told to turn up at his appointment time but remain in the car park and the nurse will come out to him. She will be wearing PPE. Others here have mentioned that their PSA bloods will be taken at home by a district nurse. When John attended the GP practice a couple of weeks ago, they had a 'one patient in the waiting room at a time' system in place.

Thanks for that info Lyn because it vaguely crossed my mind to go to an external provider given that I won't be having a PSA test until August (the local hospital is where I usually go) and my GP doesn't do the car park thing. I'll bin that idea. In the great scheme of things, whilst it would be nice to know where my PSA is after nearly 3 months on bical and after my 9 sessions of SABR on the affected lymph nodes, it isn't that essential. It will be down and it's highly unlikely that my treatment plan would change. I just like my stats!

User
Posted 19 Apr 2020 at 21:20

Hi LynErye, I feel the same as all my test results since my prostatectomy in September 2018 have been reported as <0.1. If I order this test and it comes back higher I will be forced to go to the surgery. If it's lower, I can hang on for another 3 months.  If I get to September 2020 they will change the frequency to every 6 months.  

Edited by member 19 Apr 2020 at 21:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Apr 2020 at 10:38

Thinking ahead, I have just spoken to my GP surgery, they are still taking blood for PSA tests. The way they get the blood samples varies depending on the patients situation. Fit and healthy patients can attend the surgery, at risk and over seventies will get a home visit.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 24 Apr 2020 at 22:07

Hi All, 

Just letting you know I had a psa test at GP surgery today. I booked it on Monday they said they were keeping tests to a minimum so screening tests would be out of the question, but monitoring existing cancer patients met the criteria. Hand gel and mask on for me in the waiting room, I was the only person there. Nurse was in mask gown and gloves, she said it's a bit harder finding a vein with gloves on. Anyway all done in about five minutes. Results due next week. 

Dave

User
Posted 25 Apr 2020 at 07:48
I have had a persistent productive cough for about eight weeks, so it’s not the plague!

After a telephone consultation on Thursday with my GP just up the road (I said it’s a shame your stethoscope hasn’t got a longer tube 😂), he referred me for a blood test and a chest X-ray.

I booked a phlebotomy appointment at my local chemist’s at 07.40 yesterday, and I should have the results on my iPad later this morning. The radiology department at the hospital said ‘We are not accepting walk-ins now, only fractures, so we will have to send you an appointment’.

So some parts of the NHS are working fine, others not so much. Anyone see the unoccupied A & E’s, empty wards, deserted Nightingale Hospitals, and operating theatres used for bed storage? My father-in-law, in agony with a hip problem, had his orthopaedic appointment last week cancelled indefinitely. ‘Some days the pain is so bad I wish I was dead’ he told me.

I wonder if too much has been sacrificed on the altar of Covid 19, when the government admit in the absence of a vaccine, up to 80% of us will contract it eventually!

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 25 Apr 2020 at 09:28

It's strange - I've tried to chase up about the results of my surgery, as it's now almost 7 weeks since the op. This has not been helped by the fact that my hospital has merged trusts (with no pre-warning!) during that time and the new website no longer has the phone numbers for departments. Anyway, I've gotten nowhere; I've not had my results, nor had a follow up consultation, even over the phone.

Meanwhile, I had a call yesterday from someone about my skin cancer appointment, which I had to cancel because of the surgery. For that I have an appointment at a priavte hospital on Tuesday morning. This is with a different hospital, although part of the same trust.

I can therefore only think that it depends on how organised each hospital and department is, which has been my experience in general - the biggest fault with the NHS is that organisation and administration varies immensely from place to place. The skin cancer department (which is highly rated) has been excellent in every way; at the other end of the spectrum is my GP surgery, who have a telephone system that my SCN described as a nightmare and who seems to take a week to process anything sent by a hospital.

Edited by member 25 Apr 2020 at 09:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Apr 2020 at 19:25

Results are in: <0.1, naturally I am delighted. I must say I am impressed with the gp medical records website. Blood was taken on Friday, results on website on Saturday. If any of you haven't signed up to this service I think you ought to. Getting quick results, and having copies of all letters between onco and gp is very helpful.

Dave

User
Posted 26 Apr 2020 at 04:47
The GP medical records app I use is called Patient Access. Well worth getting, if you can.

Your GP needs to be registered with it, and it seems not all are (why not?). You get a practise number and your log-in code and you are away! Interesting sometimes to see what the doctor has written about you after every consultation. It seems their spelling and grammar are as bad as their legendary poor handwriting 😂

https://www.patientaccess.com/

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2020 at 08:36
The things in your medical record shown on patient access vary between surgeries. It is good that you have detailed information on yours. My GP only posts the basic things - consultants letters that I get anyway, allergies and that is about it. They don't give me access to my blood test results there. I had my annual PSA and other routine bloods earlier this month but don't know the result, only that it is clearly under 1 as otherwise they would have called me in. I can't even just pop into the surgery (at the bottom of the road) to ask as it is appointment only access at the moment and I don't really feel like troubling them.
User
Posted 26 Apr 2020 at 10:40

Dave

Don't rely on your GP ringing you with an adverse result. At 59 I had a PSA of 6.9 but I only found that out three years later by accident. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 26 Apr 2020 at 11:19
Just received my three monthly appointment with the urology team, a telephone appointment which was expected with the current situation, asked about blood test for PSA, was asked to see if local doctors would organise the test, phoned and I’m in on Tuesday for bloods, so results should be back before phone appointment back end of May.
User
Posted 26 Apr 2020 at 13:45

Cheers, John.

The Virus seems to have overtaken all NHS services - now they wonder where there "Normal" Paitents have got to....?
It is a mess, a deadly one - I'm just grateful my treatment for Prostate, was last year.

User
Posted 29 Apr 2020 at 22:59

Had my bloods taken 16 March, appointment was 24 March cancelled on 20 March. Told I would be getting a letter. 1 month and 10 days and still counting.

Rob

User
Posted 30 Apr 2020 at 10:25

Hi

The following article caught my attention this morning. The article is not about prostate cancer but a few paragraphs in there is references to keyhole and open surgery. 

Looking further into the subject it would seem there may be challenging times ahead with keyhole type surgery. 

BBC News - Coronavirus doctor's diary: 'We aren't diagnosing many cancers now'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52446841

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 30 Apr 2020 at 11:17  | Reason: Missing word

User
Posted 30 Apr 2020 at 14:18

Hi all - I am with Epsom NHS trust - bloods taken last week, 20 minute wait for test and results given today via telephone. PSA = Undetectable.

Great service in these difficult times!!

User
Posted 07 May 2020 at 21:34

I went ahead with the LetsGetChecked PSA test.  The kit arrived but I struggled to get enough blood to fill the tube to the required level. After squeezing my fingers and getting blood all over the table I eventually filled the tube to the marked line. Unfortunately the sample was rejected as being hemolyzed.  Apparently this means that the blood was damaged while it was being drawn.

They sent me a second kit and I prepared by going for a long walk, taking a hot shower and running up and down the stairs 10 times.  I then managed to get enough blood from 4 fingers pricks but with little effort. 

The results came back as Total PSA<0.03 ug/L and Free PSA <0.02 ug/L. This is as good as previous GP PSA results which were all <0.1 ng/mL.  (I think ug/L units are equivalent to ng/mL units) The GPs results didn't specify 'Total' or 'Free' PSA.  

Anyway it seems to be a good result for me which is just as well as my telephone review has just be postponed until 18th June. I will be 2 years post op on 21st September 2020 and hopefully my reviews will move from 3 monthly to 6 monthly. 

I have to keep reminding myself that my PSA in February 2018 was 33.1 ng/mL and I was diagnosed as T3B, M0, N0 with a Gleeson score of 3+4 = 7.  I had 3 months of hormone therapy before a radical prostatecomy. 

User
Posted 08 May 2020 at 07:28

Called my GPs about quarterly PSA blood test. The receptionist had to check with the practice manager that they were covering them. Apparently only limited services being offered behind closed/locked doors. Got to ok for test next week and to come up to the front door and knock and wait. One patient being seen at a time and will be met by nurse in full protective gear. I asked if I should wear any and they said it’s up to me.

User
Posted 08 May 2020 at 08:13
Slightly off topic... Yesterday there was a knock on the door and when I answered I found a package on the doorstep and its deliverer at the end of the path. It was my regular blood pressure tablets. It seems the local pharmacy rather than you visitin to pick them up automatically deliver them. 'That's how we are doing it now with the virus' he said.

I have not had to visit my GP recently but see now if you need an appointment that they cannot do it via the telephone you have to wait in your car until called on your mobile, then presumably it is full protective gear stuff. Slight problem in my case, no mobile phone and I always walk to the surgery which is at the end of the road...

Desperate to get back to normality, I have never felt fitter than I am at the moment!