I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

46 and diagnosed with prostrate cancer!

User
Posted 15 Apr 2020 at 21:46

Not to many symptoms but psa was slightly high in July 2019 - but nothing to worry about!!

There was a follow up examination shortly after and all seemed ok but doctor decided to proceed with MRI scan as there was family history of prostrate problems.

MRI came back with a lesion on the prostrate so follow up biopsy needed!

Results of the biopsy showed cancer cells. - Gleeson score 3+4

After a lot of research and consolations the doctors recommended surgery (big weight of my mind as I was struggling to decide between radiotherapy or surgery)

I had the surgery in Dublin 28th January and I was looked after really well by a fantastic surgeon and great nurses.

Post surgery first week was the toughest but was helped by positive news from the surgeon that all went well and the prostrate was removed with good margins.

Bladder control return fairly quickly which was great and I am currently waiting on a final psa test to check all cancer has been removed - fingers crossed!!

I think I have been very lucky and there is hope for all that have been diagnosed with prostrate cancer early 😀

User
Posted 15 Apr 2020 at 21:46

Not to many symptoms but psa was slightly high in July 2019 - but nothing to worry about!!

There was a follow up examination shortly after and all seemed ok but doctor decided to proceed with MRI scan as there was family history of prostrate problems.

MRI came back with a lesion on the prostrate so follow up biopsy needed!

Results of the biopsy showed cancer cells. - Gleeson score 3+4

After a lot of research and consolations the doctors recommended surgery (big weight of my mind as I was struggling to decide between radiotherapy or surgery)

I had the surgery in Dublin 28th January and I was looked after really well by a fantastic surgeon and great nurses.

Post surgery first week was the toughest but was helped by positive news from the surgeon that all went well and the prostrate was removed with good margins.

Bladder control return fairly quickly which was great and I am currently waiting on a final psa test to check all cancer has been removed - fingers crossed!!

I think I have been very lucky and there is hope for all that have been diagnosed with prostrate cancer early 😀

User
Posted 18 Apr 2020 at 23:22

Hello to you both.  I was diagnosed at 46.  Three and a half years later, I’m doing well.  Scary and unfair, but the treatments do appear to be working for me.  

Ulsterman 

User
Posted 16 Apr 2020 at 00:08

Great news, fingers crossed all goes well on this rollercoaster!

User
Posted 18 Apr 2020 at 22:19

I thought I was reading my own post in the "diagnosed young" section for a second. I too am 46, diagnosed about a month ago with Gleason 3+4. Am waiting for a surgery date as everything is parked due to Covid....so have been prescribed Hormone Therapy until Surgery.

Let us know how you get on

thanks

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Apr 2020 at 00:08

Great news, fingers crossed all goes well on this rollercoaster!

User
Posted 18 Apr 2020 at 22:19

I thought I was reading my own post in the "diagnosed young" section for a second. I too am 46, diagnosed about a month ago with Gleason 3+4. Am waiting for a surgery date as everything is parked due to Covid....so have been prescribed Hormone Therapy until Surgery.

Let us know how you get on

thanks

User
Posted 18 Apr 2020 at 23:22

Hello to you both.  I was diagnosed at 46.  Three and a half years later, I’m doing well.  Scary and unfair, but the treatments do appear to be working for me.  

Ulsterman 

User
Posted 07 May 2020 at 23:39

sorry only seeing post now....

I got psa results back and levels were negligible so great result!!

tough times for you given current circumstances. It can be as much mental stress at this time. Stay strong as there can be a positive outcome!

if you need any other info on how my journey went please let me know...

User
Posted 08 May 2020 at 20:29

Diagnosed at 46. Similar results. See my profile. Now very advanced but had ten good years. I wish you well

User
Posted 09 May 2020 at 04:02
It wasn’t your “final PSA test” as you know you will need to be tested every three months for a couple of years.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.