I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Chemo or Abiraterone

User
Posted 16 Apr 2020 at 10:56

I am worried about taking chemo because of Corona virus and have been looking at Abiraterone. I have slightly high blood pressure 140/80. Not sure how Abiraterone will effect this. Has anyone any experience taking Abiraterone? Also what costs privately as NHS doesn't offer it

User
Posted 16 Apr 2020 at 11:52
Hi you need to update your profile with treatment to date.

With a t3b you should be eligible for radio therapy provided there is no further spread.

Are you on any kind of anti hormone therapy?? How long have you been on it??

User
Posted 16 Apr 2020 at 22:29
With a T3b N0M0, chemo is not a necessity - until very recently, you wouldn't even have been offered it at your stage & diagnosis. You might get abiraterone on a trial but be aware that it is a form of chemo so your immune system could still be compromised and you would still need to visit the hospital regularly (the two reasons that I suspect you are concerned about having chemo?). To purchase on a private prescription, Abi is about £2700 per month, I think, but you would also have to pay for any care associated with the Abi - so all review appointments, blood tests, etc.

If you are currently on hormone treatment, there should be no issue with you just continuing with that until the Coronavirus situation eases. Are you due to have radiotherapy later in the year?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard