I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Psa rise with no bone marker change

User
Posted 16 Apr 2020 at 23:17

My husband has advanced prostate cancer which has spread to the bones. He is on aberiterone and steroids. He has been on this for about 18 months during which time the psa levels dropped to about 2. The last 3 months the psa has been rising and now jumped to 11. No change in the bone markers. What could this mean. His ct scan had to be cancelled because of the current situation with Coronavirus 

User
Posted 17 Apr 2020 at 16:13
The average time that Abiraterone works for is 18 months so your OH seems to be following a common pattern. They may say to just stick with the Abi until the COVID situation has eased a bit and a scan can be arranged, or they may suggest adding / trying a different treatment.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Apr 2020 at 23:42

Thank you, I’m just trying to stay positive

User
Posted 01 Oct 2020 at 23:26

The aberiterone has stopped working so been told to stop. Chemotherapy recommended. However cancer now spread to bladder. Had op 2 weeks ago to remove this cancer growth and now awaiting the chemo to start. Feel so tired and nauseous all the time, plus pain in buttocks. Very down too. Can anyone help

User
Posted 02 Oct 2020 at 00:58
I am really sorry to see this. There are other possibilities after the chemo, which many men here seem to tolerate quite well; no chemo is easy but docetaxel does appear to be one of the kinder ones. You will probably be advised to get a good quality thermometer so that you can keep an eye out for infections. Then there are maybe other treatments after chemo, such as radium 223 or oestrogen based HT.

Did they stop the steroid at the same time as the abiraterone? The nausea could be to do with coming off the steroids.

Have you ever been referred to the local hospice outreach service or Macmillan, maggies or the palliative care team? These often have trained counsellors available, and the hospices often offer holistic services as well (although perhaps Covid has put a halt to that for now?). Also, the nurses at PCUK are brilliant (number is at the top of this website). You might also ask about a referral to the pain clinic if there is one in your area - or again, the hospice or Macmillan nurses. These are generally much more skilled at pain management than GPs or oncologists.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard