Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Stress Incontinence Management

User
Posted 18 Apr 2020 at 12:59

Hi all.

The following is a practical solution for managing stress incontinence, for anyone who suffers this unfortunate side effect of radical prostatectomy. It has been brilliant for me and given me back the ability to live life with moderate stress incontinence, as normally as possible.

First a little bit of personal experience following my prostatectomy in April 2013 age 60:  

After the initial recovery problems I was left with mild stress incontinence and able to manage fairly well using pads of different absorbencies from light to heavy - between 1 to 3 per day depending on the amount of physical activity I was doing. However, after a period of a couple of years despite my efforts to control the incontinence I started to need more pads which then began to seriously affect my lifestyle and normal exercise routines of jogging, walking, golf, gym use etc. 

A referral to my local incontinence nursing team lead to me being offered a sheath and leg bag solution, but I found that the long leg bag was impractical for me as I wear shorts a lot. I also found it to be somewhat cumbersome and uncomfortable. A discussion with the nurse resulted in me trialling a Conveen Active* thigh bag (capacity 250ml) by Coloplast (See You tube for details). After a short trial period I found I needed to use an elasticated support around the leg bag to stop it from slipping down the thigh. After a year or so of successful use, I started to develop a rash on my thigh from the adhesive on the thigh bag. 

My wife then came up with the brilliant idea of sewing a pocket onto the inside of a pair of boxer shorts to hold the bag in place and keep it away from direct contact with the skin. I no longer need to strap the bag around my thigh and for the last 2 years this has worked a treat for me to the point where I can enjoy all the activities that I did before my surgery. 

No pads, no straps, no leg rash, just a pocket in the boxers!! 😁

If you have stress incontinence, I would highly recommend giving this a go.   

Hope this helps. 

User
Posted 18 Apr 2020 at 17:27

Thank you for the information and tips. 

Are you still using the Conveen Active bag? I have a couple of these but have not yet tried them - I was a bit put off because the capacity is "only" 250 ml and the suggestion was that it should be emptied before it gets full. However, I'll give it a try. How often do you have to replace the bag?

Does the bag in the boxers hold the bag in the same position as it was when attached conventionally? I am having difficulty envisaging how it works.

Do you wear ordinary pants with the boxers on top? 

User
Posted 19 Apr 2020 at 12:53

Nairb

There is a vast difference between you and Nialb100. You are only three months post op a hopefully you are still trying to regain your continence. Use the conveens as aid to recovery rather than in place of recovery. If you can stop your urine mid stream that is a good sign that the mechanics are still working. Hope you are still doing your PFEs. 

Nialb 

Pity we aren't allowed pictures on here. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 20 Apr 2020 at 22:14

Hi Nairb

Yes I use the sheath and active bag every day, but as Colwickchris has stated it is early days for you as yet. I only use this because I found that after several years my stress incontinence got gradually worse and went from mild to moderate, so the sheath and bag meant that I could continue to be active, without the worry of pads becoming saturated and having to be changed frequently. The active bag is like a secondary bladder with a 250ml capacity, so should be emptied as often as necessary, and before it is full. 

Because I don't strap the bag to my leg anymore, I can get about 5 days out of a bag, provided it's washed out every night, and just check the connecting tubes each day to ensure that they are well fitted, as they can work loose. The pouch that is sewn into the boxers can be positioned so that it corresponds to the position that the bag would be if it was strapped directly to your leg. No need for a second pair of undies. I can send you a couple of pics if you use Facebook messenger or whats app, if you let me have your contact details. I don't think I can post photos on this site. 

Cheers

User
Posted 21 Apr 2020 at 08:28

Nialb100

I used a bit of superglue on the joints.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 21 Apr 2020 at 12:59

You can get to me on WhatsApp. 07711 242 980

Brian.

User
Posted 21 Apr 2020 at 15:51

Thanks. Will send some pics soon.