I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Removal and return of Cancer

User
Posted 20 Apr 2020 at 07:43

I had Robotic removal of Prostate in May 2015. I chose this option over the Radiotherapy treatment purely because of the Hormone treatment that goes with Radiotherapy.

Cancer re appeared in Lymph Nodes in 2018. Treatment was Radio Therapy. I have had Pet Scans Every 6 months since and there was no reports of cancer. 

My last Pet Scan was in March 2020 and there are a few issues which haven't been explained fully yet but the treatment options mentioned to me by the Clinical Research Nurse were Ciber Knife or Hormone treatment.

I need information on these two options.

User
Posted 20 Apr 2020 at 08:55

Not much detail so I have to make assumptions, which might not be correct.

My guess is the cyberknife treatment would be with a curative intent, and can probably be offered because the cancer is outside of the previous radiotherapy treatment area. It is radiotherapy using very thin X-ray beams from multiple angles, and is ideally suited to zapping up to a few lymph nodes or small bone mets. Being a high power treatment (unlike external beam radiotherapy), hormone therapy treatment is not usually beneficial with it.

Hormone treatment by itself is not a curative treatment, and I presume would be lifelong to delay the growth of the cancer. It would eventually fail.

Given those two choices, I would leap at the chance of a curative treatment with cyberknife. If it doesn't work, you still have the hormone therapy option afterwards.

However, I'm making a hell of a lot of assumptions, and I might be on the wrong path completely. You really need to get this information from the consultant or clinician offering the choice.

Edited by member 20 Apr 2020 at 08:57  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Apr 2020 at 09:44
We’re you paying privately for the CT scans as I’ve been informed I won’t have scans until my PSA reaches 1.

What was your last PSA result

Bri

User
Posted 20 Apr 2020 at 10:17

Bri,
This varies between oncologists and treatment centres.
Also, I strongly suspect you are more likely to be offered a PET scan (not the same as a CT scan) if the centre has a PET scanner, than if they have to send you somewhere else to get one. (It probably also means their consultants will understand the scan report better if they're routine, rather than an exception.)

User
Posted 21 Apr 2020 at 07:38

Thanks. You were spot on.

After my post I had a call from the consultant who has put me forward for Ciber knife treatment. I have a consultation today and treatment within 2 weeks.

User
Posted 21 Apr 2020 at 07:47

Since my prostate removal in 2015 my psa has been 0.1 up until the radiotherapy treatment ( in 2017 )on cancerous lymph nodes in my pelvis. After this treatment my psa was again 0.1.

All my scans since were pet scans every 6 months.

Good luck